Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you study pyrotechnics

Options
  • 13-10-2009 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Anyone any advice on how to study theatre lighting and or pyrotechnics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Go to your nearest theatre/art centre. Find the technical manager/head techie. Tell them what you want to learn. They will either help you or point you to a training course suitable for your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jackomckenna

Hi,
    The sound training center have a course of Sound Engineering, Lighting and Stage Production its very expensive to be honest.
    Also there is a technical theatre course in Inchicore college of further education.

Sound Training Center:
    http://www.soundtrainingcentre.com/coursedetail.php?id=4

Inchicore:
    http://www.inchicorecollege.ie/hnd_in_technical_theatre.htm

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Generally, start at the bottom and work your way up. Techies are generally unqualified workers who learn their trade by doing. Which is why they're generally so versatile. You get a job by luck and you do it. You make friends/connections out of it and next thing you know, you're working in a different area on another gig. I'm sure there are other avenues but almost every techie I know has gone this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

Generally, start at the bottom and work your way up. Techies are generally unqualified workers who learn their trade by doing. Which is why they're generally so versatile. You get a job by luck and you do it. You make friends/connections out of it and next thing you know, you're working in a different area on another gig. I'm sure there are other avenues but almost every techie I know has gone this route.

There is definately something to be said for apprenticing in entertainment technology/ stage production. However, having a qualification will always stand in your favour as an employer will know that you generally will be learning to industry standard. I've found that you also fast track the networking and learning by doing a course in it (which means you're more likely to start earning sooner). You have to put some money into it, but your earning potential is way better.

If I was you, I'd do a bit of both if you can i.e. do a course but also try and find someone who will give you practical experience. Courses often have a good internship component which is SO valuable.

P.S For pyro you definately have to have a qualification and be certified. A google on pyro companies will be a good start and you can get in touch with them. It can be expensive to get your pyro cert in my experience, fyi.

Advertisement