Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

absolutely no motivation at work

Options
  • 13-10-2009 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

HI,
    As the title suggests, I have no motivation at work. I was an A student at school, not bad at college, slipped a bit at college like a lot of people, partied more so. Then went on to do higher degree. Towards the end of this I became very unhappy, stopped caring completely about my work, and I am pretty sure i was depressed...
    I finished it, with a struggle, moved to the South, and started a job. I probably needed a break. I'm here over a year, and to be honest I have zero motivation for it. I simply cannot focus myself or motivate myself. My boss had a go at me. This is terrible cos a few years ago I would never have dreamt of showing myself up in front of a superior!! I feel apathy, no motivation. I am given tasks to do, but in my head I'm thinking "I couldn't care less about x,y, and z". I procrastinate a lot. I cannot seem to shake that off. I look around at colleagues and see how they just seem to get on with it, no probs. I have a feeling that maybe I'm in the wrong job, and wonder if I moved to something that I might find more interesting that things might change. but I have this terrible emptiness inside, with regards to work, and I really am not sure how any job might stimulate/drive me on. the fear of appearing bad in front of my workmates has no effect on me. I think this is the real problem, there is something missing from me that makes me devoid of my feeling with regards to my work. I can't put my finger on the reason or solution...
    Over this summer, my mood has improved a great deal. I take more pride in my appearance, am busier outside work, and am a lot happier in general. Unfortunately, this hasn't translated into my work. I'm am seriously unmotivated even still. I can't figure out what is wrong, am I still a bit depressed, or am I lazy. .If i'm just lazy why is it only now and not all my life? I ask myself if I'd like to sit on the net all day, or lie on the couch watching tv, and the answer is no. I want to be a busy bee getting on with some form of an interesting career.
    What does it sound like to you? Any comments/advice really appreciated.

Advertisement