Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gormley on Prime Time

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    That's the biggest problem that I see with the Greens; we pay VRT (a tax that is nowhere else in Europe) and they want to then add a carbon tax!

How can they justify "charging people who make the wrong 'choice'" without PROVIDING THE F**KING CHOICE ???

Give us an ALTERNATIVE - FIRST!!!!!! HUGE areas of the country have no facilities, and no public transport (and before anyone suggests there's a "lifestyle choice" to live there, lost of people could only afford houses "out there", because of other Government policies)

My sister's schoolbus charge has gone up by 150% - that's gone up by, not "to", so that's 250% of last year's amount - for the coming year! With 3 kids, how is she supposed to NOT use the car ??

We stop dumping rubbish "indisciminately" and start recycling, and when everyone starts recycling they charge us for BOTH!

We pay stamp duty on houses, and when everyone everyone has bought the houses they scrap that and propose charging the same people a property tax, water rates and god-knows-what else!

Screw the same people over, and over, and over.....it's sickening!

I worked out today that if they gave me John O'Donoghue's expenses, I'd survive for 25 years or so!!! :mad:

Minor point, but I think VRT is in a couple of other countries. Denmark and Finland spring to mind.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

K-9 wrote: »
    Minor point, but I think VRT is in a couple of other countries. Denmark and Finland spring to mind.

Due to be abolished throughout the EU by 2013, including here, and replaced by a carbon tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Darragh29 wrote: »
    500 teachers, what will that do to improve the economic situation??? These guys are utterly and hopelessly DELUDED. What we need now is:

(1) Job creation, job creation and more job creation...

Isn't hiring more teachers an example of job creation?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Promising more teachers at a time when they are trying to make cutbacks is not job creation - its merely a promise from FF & FF Lite which we all know isn't worth much!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

kbannon wrote: »
    Promising more teachers at a time when they are trying to make cutbacks is not job creation - its merely a promise from FF & FF Lite which we all know isn't worth much!

They've extended the voluntary early retirement scheme again (for the 3rd time). The implication for anyone over 50 is- retire- or we'll tax your lump sum. Given that the tax could potentially be the equivalent of over 2 years gross salary (the tax element alone- could between all deductions work out at between 60% and 70%). Its almost comical how swathes of experienced staff are being shoved out the door- when they are especially needed.

What we need are common salary scales across the public sector- to encourage greater mobility where staff are most needed. HSE staff are refusing point blank to take up any of the several thousand vacancies that exist in the civil service- because they get paid on average 46% more for similar jobs (focusing on admin, IT and other grades where there are comparisons between the different agencies). If you don't want to get angry- don't look at teachers salary scales (a 25 point scale that goes almost up to 70k basic salary).........

We need to get mobility underway- but we also need to accept that while the public sector is overpaid- the overpayments tend to be focused in particular sectors (as acknowledged by the ESRI).

• Advertisement
Advertisement