Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet change disaster

Options
  • 13-10-2009 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have recently been told that I have a gluten tolerance and so I an trying to adjust my diet accordingly but whilst I understand this adjustment needs to be made asap to correct my symptoms I am finding it really hard. I have started to buy some of the gluten-free specific food in the supermarket. but I constantly feel hungry. I used to eat a lot of carbs (bread, sometimes pasta) but everything from breakfast cereals, chocolate, crisps, etc all contain what I'm to avoid. I have started to increase my intake of fruit and veg but all the same I'm constantly hungry as my old eating pattern like eating bread etc when I was hungry is no longer an option for me now. I've tried the gluten free bread also and I'm not fond of it.

Can anyone recommend any non-wheat products?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Try and see a dietician! They're good at suggestions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To combat that sensation of hunger, try to up the intake of protein and fibre in your diet.

Learning to adjust to a diet without large amounts of carbs is tough, as your body is literally addicted to them, but you will soon see and feel the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

I followed a gluten free diet for 3 years. Try making your own gluten free bread, it turns out much nicer but takes a bit of practice at first!

Things like omlettes for breakfast are easy to make and do fill you up. I remember feeling hungry at first, but once you discover more things that you can eat you will adjust. Salads with meat/fish etc and lots of veg/leaves for lunch are good. I have always been a big fan of rice so have that for dinner most nights anyway.

The gluten free pasta ranges available have improved in recent years and hopefully will improve again. Sushi is also a nice option - my boss is coeliac and often has that for his lunch. Hang in there and best of luck with it!

Advertisement