Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Levin or SIR?

Options
  • 13-10-2009 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hi im currently looking to buy a levin or SIR but i cant decide which one to buy! i have a budget of about 4500 to spend, ive bin looking and there are plenty available at that price range.
    There are so many different people on the internet claiming which car is better (performance wise) but im still not sure.
    Ive driven a levin and i liked it, however the steering was prety heavy which i didnt expect. and the stories of the superstrut breaking worries me.
    Anyone have an opinion on which car is better??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

An SiR Everytime ;)

But, I have to ask, which SiR would you be going for?

An EG or an EK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jpk88

rele? the levins are faster as stock tho and SIRs interior cant compare to the levins.
    em i hadnt rele looked into that yet to be honest, ive just been trying to find a nice SIR coupe. u got ne suggestions?

To me the coupes dont have a fast feel to them :/

If you purely want a nice driving experience and speed+handling, go for an EG6 SiR.

ok thanks for that! il keep looking out for one so, theres a good few on sale these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

jpk88 wrote: »
    rele? the levins are faster as stock tho and SIRs interior cant compare to the levins.
    em i hadnt rele looked into that yet to be honest, ive just been trying to find a nice SIR coupe. u got ne suggestions?

Levins are slower than Sir Civics... Trust me on this, i have driven both, i have also witnessed many a race over the years to know this is also a fact.

The interior is open for debate as in my opinion all Jap interiors are horrible.
    I say that even though i drive an Integra type R.

SiR Coupes are rare to find in Really good nick, allot of Ek Hatchbacks are in good nick though and for 4500 you'd get a really nice one.

Have a look on Donedeal.ie

Top fuel imports in Clare have a few nice ones.

Log onto sites like Midnightclub.ie, Dtdirl.com and the likes to see the for sale sections are bulging with clean levins and SiR's

For me it would have to be the Honda, Cheaper parts, more after market parts etc. and superstrutt isn't ment for Irish roads.

• Advertisement

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=153120&cat=all

Just found a coupe with the EG6's engine ;)

thanks! your all rele trying to sway me towards Civics alright! id say il go for an ek civic tho! i wana try find sumthing new enough on gud milage

thanks! your all rele trying to sway me towards Civics alright! id say il go for an ek civic tho! i wana try find sumthing new enough on gud milage

Ha ha, not really, theres for and against for both. Like a levin i think is a better looking car than a Civic Coupe, and Toyotas and Hondas are made of some mad indestructible material that doesn't seem to exist anymore, also i think Levins are less theft prone than a Honda.

Saying that the Hondas wont let you down, theres parts all over the country for them thanks to idiots who roll them into ditches (oh ya insurance will prob be higher on the Honda too) they are simple to work on, and there are far more aftermarket parts for them too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

jpk88, some of your posts contain too much text speak, please refrain from typing in a text manner as it can be hard to read.

As for your question, your more likely to find a nice Vti Coupe, there lovely cars.

The Civic hatchback will be faster than the Levin, the handling is debatable, some people prefer the Levin some prefer the Civic. The best thing you can do is test drive both and see which you prefer.

When looking at coupes beware of people trying to pass off 1.6 ils coupes and the likes as Sir's/Vti's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd personally prefer the Levin - Not as much of a stigma on them compared to the Civic.

All a matter of taste I suppose.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200940195395784

I'd be saving a bit more, and looking at something like this. Or import one myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The SIR and the Levin BZ-R would be similar in terms of speed, it's definitely not a fact that one is faster than the other.
    The Levins Blacktop engine produces a lot more torque so would be better for day-to-day driving (V-tecs have little oomph before 5500 odd revs, whereas the VVT in the Blacktop can kick in from 3000 revs onward depending on your throttle position)

I'd go for the Levin, but hey, I'm biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

I've owned a 20v corolla with the silvertop version of the levin's 20v engine, they're a fantastic engine! Not highly tunable, but great low down torque, decent power and a fabulous sound.

A friend of mine has a really clean levin with a toms' ecu (he keeps this quiet tho;)) and custom exhaust and he puts sir civics to shame, my integra type r only pulls 2 or 3 car lengths on him!

As for the superstrut going wrong, it's not as bad as people make out. It's no more or less common than a balljoint failing, and not that expensive to replace anymore, and tbh will only really need to be done once every 100 thousand miles or so. When it's working it's the best suspension setup going!

I drive a honda integra type r, and i love it, but i will say this; unless its a type r civic you're looking at i'd choose the levin over the civic every time. Classier looking, nicer sounding, better handling standard for standard, nicer interior, better seating position, the list goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Both have their pro's and cons. Drive both, see which you prefer :D then decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

You'd get a Teg Type R for that money, better than both of em

yeah i might find one if i was VERY lucky, bu then the insureance would Kill me. im turning 21 dec21st, with 2years no claims and Quinn wont even quote me on a levin yet, let alone a type R. Nononsense have quoted me 1200 on a levin 3rd party f+t which ent bad.

A friend of mine had a BZ-R and when he was drivin out of work it sounded as if he was flying along..but he wasn't! Since being in his its kinda turned me off them

hmm yh its still a hard decision. il easily get a spotless bzr for under 4 tho these days, there goin dirt cheap on very low milage

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    it wouldn't be very clean though, trust me i tried:rolleyes:
    yeah i might find one if i was VERY lucky, bu then the insureance would Kill me. im turning 21 dec21st, with 2years no claims and Quinn wont even quote me on a levin yet, let alone a type R. Nononsense have quoted me 1200 on a levin 3rd party f+t which ent bad.

i'm 20 with 2 years no claims and insurance isn't too bad on my integra type r, fully declared

how much u paying and who u with??? im not under parents tho thas y mine wld be more

My Integra is getting the gearbox reconditioned using Honda MTF II oil, Exedy Stage 1 clutch, Timing belt kit done and a few other bits the week after next.

I wont let it go for €4500 but you wouldn't have to up the budget too much!

• Advertisement

how much u paying and who u with??? im not under parents tho thas y mine wld be more

i'm under my own name with 123.ie and paying just under 2500 a year

p-nut wrote: »
    i'm under my own name with 123.ie and paying just under 2500 a year
    I just pm'd you to ask you that!

123 told me they didn't cover imports??

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

I'd personally prefer the Levin - Not as much of a stigma on them compared to the Civic.

All a matter of taste I suppose.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200940195395784

I'd be saving a bit more, and looking at something like this. Or import one myself.

Apparently that levin is in fantastic condition. A lad off dtd forum traded it against a dc2. I think he said he got €4500 on the trade. Now you know what you can get it for.

think quinn say the same, but they have no choice if you're already a client;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

^^^
    I'm with Quinn, they don't have any problems covering imports

think quinn say the same, but they have no choice if you're already a client;)

Yeh as long as your with 123.ie they'll allow you to change over to anything without hassle..............unlike Quinn!

draffodx wrote: »
    Yeh as long as your with 123.ie they'll allow you to change over to anything without hassle..............unlike Quinn!

i didn't even have to lie about already owning a type r to get a quote on one before i bought it. 123.ie are the nicest company to deal with i've come across so far. they even said they'd give me a 200 euro refund if i was to transfer to a fd rx7, almost halfway thru my years policy:rolleyes:

Im insured with 123.ie for the ITR, 768 fully comp, 24 years old

i didn't even have to lie about already owning a type r to get a quote on one before i bought it. 123.ie are the nicest company to deal with i've come across so far. they even said they'd give me a 200 euro refund if i was to transfer to a fd rx7, almost halfway thru my years policy:rolleyes:

Yep, once your in with them they are but they wont take on a new customer with an import.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

i think that a good clean levin with a full bomex kit on it looks far nicer than any civic. though i have seen a few levins for sale with what tehy claim to be bomex front bumpers but which are actually TRD front bumpers which look very similar to the bomex ones...just somethin to watch out for!;)

Advertisement