Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some advice needed, please.

• 13-10-2009 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

My father has recently passed away and i am left to run the farm. Now its not a big farm. Its approx 55 acres of mixed lands. I have all the machinery i want and a 3 bay slatted house with other sheds besides. Just looking for advice on what is the best way to go. I would like to produce my own calfs but not sure what is the best breed to go for. We sold off all Cows last year to reduce the work load due to an illness. im now looking at what would the best way to go. i might not be able to commit to cows but could anyone advise me on what would be the best route to go down, maybe fatting cattle for killing, but i have no experience of this or what is the best way to go about it. All ideas greatly appreicated. Many thanks in advance for yer replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

oldhead wrote: »
    My father has recently passed away and i am left to run the farm. Now its not a big farm. Its approx 55 acres of mixed lands. I have all the machinery i want and a 3 bay slatted house with other sheds besides. Just looking for advice on what is the best way to go. I would like to produce my own calfs but not sure what is the best breed to go for. We sold off all Cows last year to reduce the work load due to an illness. im now looking at what would the best way to go. i might not be able to commit to cows but could anyone advise me on what would be the best route to go down, maybe fatting cattle for killing, but i have no experience of this or what is the best way to go about it. All ideas greatly appreicated. Many thanks in advance for yer replies.
    was in the same boat myself a few years back except we still had all the stock, work full time so wasnt sure what to do. anyway kept the cows but find it hard going at times, am lucky to have a good neighbor who keeps an eye on anything near calving while Im at work if needs be. Would be easier to buy in a few cattle i suppose but Im kinda interested in trying to improve the cattle im producing and produce a better weanling, you have a clean slate now, i would try and buy in some quality in calf stock and try and ai them from here out, if you have no one around though it may not suit you

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

annubis wrote: »
    was in the same boat myself a few years back except we still had all the stock, work full time so wasnt sure what to do. anyway kept the cows but find it hard going at times, am lucky to have a good neighbor who keeps an eye on anything near calving while Im at work if needs be. Would be easier to buy in a few cattle i suppose but Im kinda interested in trying to improve the cattle im producing and produce a better weanling, you have a clean slate now, i would try and buy in some quality in calf stock and try and ai them from here out, if you have no one around though it may not suit you

Many thanks, any ideas oon what breed you would go with if you had to start again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

well we have always had a charolais bull and I like them and will continue on this way, my cows are a mixed bag and I need to improve alot of these, I like the limousin cow best though, I think they breed well with anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

suppose either angus or hereford cross cows-would be suitable for ya,easy calving+easy kept!--either use a PB Angus or Hereford bull with them!
    gives you a handy calf-in fairness won't b high price weanlings, but aleast they take little to keep them

but mayb buy in stores or weanlings in early spring, and maybe summer them just..sell on--might make a few bob on them!
    +save workload over the winter!

Advertisement