Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms renewal question.

Options
  • 14-10-2009 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Lads, on section 3.2 of the FCA1- Accessories it mentions silencer and sights/other. I think I seen something about this posted before but can't find the exact thread now. Does our ordianry telescopic sights come into this category?

Another question I have is if I tend on acquiring a moderator in the near future do i tick silencer or is that a seperate form again?

It's hardly 80 smackers for a mod also:o

Cheers fellas..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

id say tick the box for the mod
    it will save later on when ya want one and they ll want to no why you didnt apply in the renewal form
    from wot i hear ,it will cost ya an extra 80 smackers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

If you intend buying a moderator in the near future, tick the 'Silencer' (:rolleyes:) box, and it'll be considered/issued along with the firearm, at €80 for both.
    If you leave it for later and apply for the moderator on its own, it'll cost you another full €80 (assuming of course that it's approved).

In spite of what appears to be an utter absence on the form or in the Commissioner's Guidelines on the matter, the 'Sights/Other' bit on the form apparently relates to stuff that's considered 'naughty' (or "more dangerous" :rolleyes:); things like night-vision scopes and laser sights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

80 quid for a Mod license :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

mac80 wrote: »
    80 quid for a Mod license :eek::eek:
    Nope, €80 for a Firearm Certificate.
    However, as moderators/silencers are considered to be 'firearms' under Irish law...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

If you apply for a Mod as PART OF you firearms certificate application it is included in the €80 you pat for the license.

However, if you later apply for the Mod you will AGAIN have to pay 80 for a license just for the MOd.

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I submitted my applications on the 12th August so i didn't have the experience or advice that the lads have here now. I wrote down on a serperate sheet of paper what standard scope i was using "just to be sure". Later the lads told me that only red dot or laser sights etc, (like what Rovi said) as in the picture need be mentioned. (I'm sure there are other but this is the only pic i have)

Advice on the mod from all the lads is spot on. Apply now with your firearm and its €80 for the lot. Apply later for the mod on its own and its an extra €80.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

A red dot sight doesnot fall under that legislation, only night vision gear and sights that project a light/laser.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Really!!!! I don't have one or have to worry about them but a scope by its very definition magnifies objects as the Tactical Red Dot system doesn't (well the ones i have seen don't, i'm sure some do if only in a limited capacity say X1 or x2 power).

I thought that as its a "tactical" feature that it would need to be mentioned? I mean you can't use it for target work (right/wrong) and the lads i've seen using them need spotting scopes at 100yds. I honestly don't know much about them from a practical use point of view so please enlighten me. As i've said i filled out my FCA1 and was unsure as to what to mark for section 3.2 myself and as i thought i needed to get my application in rapid i made note of my scope on the extra info sheet. Found out later i didn't need to but no point in crying over spilled milk, eh.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

From the act

"
    (i) telescope sights with a light beam, or telescope sights with an electronic
    light amplification device or an infra-red device, designed to be fitted to a
    firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (e),"

Does not include red dot sights as they do not project a beam nor are they light amplification devices nor are they infra-red

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Actually, red-dot sights do project a beam - just back at you (via the sight glass as a reflector) rather than at the target. You wouldn't see a red dot if they didn't, that's just basic physics.

Not a telescope sights though, so I don't think it should count. The thing is, neither should laser sights by that reckoning, but we've been told in the past that they are considered to count, and the way that that part of the act is written, it's trivial for the PTB to say that they're considered as component parts even though they're not specifically listed, note the bold bit here:
    ...except where the context otherwise requires, any component part of any article referred to in any of the foregoing paragraphs and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the following articles shall be deemed to be such component parts:
    (i) telescope sights with a light beam...

• Advertisement

Don't mean to be pedantic, but the word "telescope". Would that have the same definition as telescopic, ie. capable of magnifying distant objects. How would this word, in relation to the explanation of what is and is not a light/laser sight, affect your requirement to mention it on your application if at all? In other words if it can't magnify an object but does not come under any of the items listed does it make it necessary to mention it? Does that make sense?

It does, but you'd only be okay until someone had a problem with you having one!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    I thought that as its a "tactical" feature that it would need to be mentioned? I mean you can't use it for target work (right/wrong) and the lads i've seen using them need spotting scopes at 100yds. I honestly don't know much about them from a practical use point of view so please enlighten me

Wrong,they are not tactical in any sense,same as no firearm is "tactical" it is just a buzz word a bunch of clowns in the Govt and gun companies hung on equipment that they dont like or want to sell to the police depts or army units.Same scam as insurance companies hang on you because your car has Turbo or GTI written on it.:rolleyes:
    Yes they have some use,if your are shooting in forestery or heavy cover type terrain,and want somthing better than iron sights for quicker sight aqusition on a fast moving deer or boar,they cant be beat.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Its the desciption of them everywhere i look and i don't like the wording either, hence the reason i used quotation marks. I used the them to highlight the word in a sarcastical way, but that effect is hard to get across when its in written and not verbal/physical form.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmyzx

Sorry Kay9, I'm not meaning to hijack your thread, but on the subject of Mods and just ticking the box on the form. I did just that and got a phone call from my local station today asking if I had permission for a moderator. I told them no, that I presumed ticking the box was the application for one. The garda then informed me that I will have to send in a letter asking for permission along with my application.
    So anyone that is applying for the moderator for the first time just be prepared for this eventuality.

ATB
    Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭ROONEYED BY 2/3

Sparks wrote: »

MY HUSBAND IS APPLYING FOR A FIREARM CERTIFICATE (FCA1) FOR A DOUBLE BARREL BOITO SHOTGUN. I AM TRYING TO DECIFER DOES HE NEED A SECURE STORAGE UNIT OR JUST A TRIGGER LOCK. I AM UNSURE IF HIS GUN IS A NON RESTRICTED SHOTGUN OR A RESTRICTED FIREARM. WHATS THE DIFFERENCE.

Well, first off could you turn off caps lock please? Typing in ALL CAPITALS like that is the visual equivalent to shouting.

And to answer your question, it's an unrestricted firearm and he doesn't need a gunsafe legally (assuming he has only the one firearm), just to store it disassembled. However, having a gunsafe is a Good Idea (tm).

The difference between a restricted and a non-restricted firearm is that the latter isn't on the list of restricted firearms. It's an arbitary distinction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    The difference between a restricted and a non-restricted firearm is that the latter isn't on the list of restricted firearms. It's an arbitary distinction.

And just to heap pedantry on the pedantic, there isn't a list of restricted firearms, but a list of non-restricted ones.

Everything not listed is restricted (although some restricted firearms are described as they are exceptions)

Advertisement