Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying into Melbourne - Avalon or Tullamarine?

Options
  • 14-10-2009 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Thinking about getting a flight to Melbourne in a few months with the other half and I was wondering if people could recommend which airport to fly into.

I'm going with Jetstar so I've a choice of Avalon or Tullamarine.
    The tickets to Avalon are $40 cheaper for each of us but if our final destination is the CBD, I'm not sure if we'll end up just spending whatever we saved on the ticket price trying to get into the city.

Are there reasonably priced shuttle buses that run from Avalon to the CBD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

You can get a return ticket on a shuttle bus from Avalon for about $35 or so, if I remember correctly. It will bring you right into Southern Cross Station in the city. I think that it's scheduled so that it will meet all flights arriving and departing out of Avalon.
    Alternatively for Tullamarine, there's a shuttle bus which will drop you to the same train station for about $25 or so, return, and from Southern Cross you should be able to get a train or a tram to wherever you need to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

we stayed in Base backpackers when we got here first. They do a deal with the airport buses.
    Provide your reservation number/confirmation code from your booking and you will get a free shuttle bus.
    The others on our bus were payin like 50 dollars to get from tullamarine.

check with wherever ur stayin coz its possible they also do a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Avalon's an hour's drive outside the CBD, but as others have stated there is a shuttle bus. Notwithstanding a deal through accommodation, the shuttle from Tulla also costs, but it costs less than the shuttle from Avalon... However there may be more of a wait for the shuttle at Tulla, seeing as the shuttle at Avalon is timed to meet flights and will literally depart about 20-25 minutes after the flight hits the tarmac - just enough time for the peeps to get their bags and get on the bus, in other words!

Advertisement