Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista Home Basic EXTREMELY slow

Options
  • 14-10-2009 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi, I usually work on XP OS's but a client brought me his HP 530 with Vista Home Basic installed. He just had a new HD installed with all the bios up-dates etc. He wanted to see if I could speed it up for him. Now, this thing is a real PIG (resource hog)!
    I did almost all the tweaks on this site:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/81176-speed-up-performance-vista.html
    and it still takes 350 seconds to boot up...'yawn' , almost enough time to have bacon and eggs with coffee before it's ready to roll.

I also removed McAfee security which really slowed it down plus I did all the necessary malware and virus checking before installing MSE as the AV. I tried Avast but it still was quite slow so I'll see how this goes.
    I also know that the laptop could use more ram, I'll never figure out why they would sell a PC with barely enough ram to run the operating system.

Anyone have any more ideas on this besides loading XP pro on it which I KNOW would improve the performance.
    Now we know why Vista is getting phased out so quick by Windows 7....I feel sorry for all the people who HAD to buy Vista because they discontinued XP.
    Thanks for your time.
    xprepairs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MrMagic1

Its Vista Basic, whenever You see the Vista Basic sticker, run. Its not really capable of running Vista so they stick basic on it. Bet its only got 512MB ram and a celeron. Also Vista is now Service Pack 2, not at all like it was when released

Best bet is to upgrade it to 1-2GB ram and stick Windows 7 on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

As MrMagic1 said,the low amount of Ram kills Vista systems.I would say at LEAST 1 Gb of DDR2 is needed.2+Gb is ideal

+1 to installing 7 when it comes out,I've ran that decently on an old Pent.M (1.4 Banias) with 7xx mb Ram.

With a low end dual core (I' posting this now from my dad's 1.8 Centrino Duo,1Gb ram) it will fly along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭xprepairs

Thanks guys, That's exactly what I mentioned to him and he's gonna try 2GB of ram from crucial (real inexpensive there) and see how it works, yes, it only came with 512 ram and it is a celeron....so you were both right on both counts.
    Thanks for the replies!
    xprepairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Those Celerons are horrible,but the 2G Ram will make a big difference

Advertisement