Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD57*0: Oh Dear...

Options
  • 14-10-2009 3:49am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not looking good. The HD5750 costs about as much as a HD4870 1GB, which is rather unfortunate as its about as powerful as an €80 HD4850 :o It may be faster, but its only got 9 SIMD clusters instead of the HD4850's 10 :( The HD5770... oh dear :o It has the computational horsepower of the HD4890, costs about as much as a HD4890... the fact it's nowhere near as powerful 90% of the time (and just as fast for the remainder) strongly suggests that what I was afraid of has come to pass - AMD got too greedy with the GDDR5 and have crippled the memory bus a power of 2 too far :o

Seriously... the old HD4850 has a 256bit bus. The HD4870 512MB has a 256bit bus with GDDR5 memory. And their replacements have 128bit buses not seen in a single card over €60... until now. Thanks a bunch AMD, and once you're done shooting yourself in the foot please make a proper mid-range card willya?! :mad:

I can't see these selling unless the prices are truly slashed to ribbons... :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Yeah, I was looking at a 5700 series as a possible small upgrade for my current machine so that it would remain a useful back up when I replace it. But I was immediately alarmed at reading about the 128 bit memory bus :S

Its a bit of a let down on the benchs when looking at the same priced 4890

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/2009/test_ati_radeon_hd_5770_crossfire/19/#abschnitt_performancerating_qualitaet

It does well on power consumption and does support DX11 tho.

Tbh, I think whats really going on here is AMD are trying to benefit from the lower manufacturing costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

thread in the graphics forum about this. the GTX260 apparently gets better benches than the 5770. ATI seem to be relying on DX11 and Eyefinity to push these cards. And we know what happened the last time a graphics company relied on fancy technology over the price/performance ratio...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

No-one in their right mind would buy one at the current prices. Unless it's for a htpc or just for the eyefinity...

And even then the prices are bound to go down big-time.

remember what Nvidia said a while back "DX11 won't sell new cards" well certainly dx11 cards won't sell when they're worse price/performance than current gen.

I hope Nvidia get a better middle point with their dx11 cards.

I think what the consumers want is a card that costs about €150, performs better than the 4890 and has dx11 as a nice little bonus. If Nvidia can produce something like that then they've got the market!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Its a particularly nasty shock after the last gen where the HD4850 turned things upside down overnight, thrashing €300 8800GTXs while costing half as much... this time AMD has gotten greedy and nVidia will duly remind them of proper conduct :D

Problem is, the "sweet spot" AMD harps on about is going to be around the HD5830 point, yet AMD don't really want to make any as they're getting such good 40nm yields for the HD5870 they don't even want to push the HD5850 too hard. Silly AMD, you should have downclocked the HD5850 further instead of lasering it down to 18 SIMD clusters, and then stuck a slow 16-SIMD GPU on a 192-bit bus and 768MB slowish GDDR5 to make a cheap and well-positioned HD5830 for the "I want a 40nm HD4890+" crowd. That way you'd waste even less of the yield and make more use of the complete low-binned dies in slow 20-SIMD HD5850s! :P

Given the poor chance of a HD5830 due to good yields I would have hoped AMD could get a HD5790 out with a 160- or 192-bit bus, 640 or 768MB GDDR5 and 12 SIMD units, but I think the dies for the HD57*0 are 10-SIMD to begin with so there's no chance of that either. AMD have put themselves in an unenviable position this time around... :o

Effluo wrote: »
    remember what Nvidia said a while back "DX11 won't sell new cards" well certainly dx11 cards won't sell when they're worse price/performance than current gen.

To be fair, nV only said that because they knew AMD were going to be a comfortable 1st with DX11 solutions :o

Ive been an nV user for the last few rigs, like them very much, but I am disappointed with the delays on Fermi.

• Advertisement

swirlser wrote: »
    To be fair, nV only said that because they knew AMD were going to be a comfortable 1st with DX11 solutions :o

Yeah i know, i was just talking about how silly the 57*0's are and how they won't sell

Solitaire wrote: »
    Problem is, the "sweet spot" AMD harps on about is going to be around the HD5830 point, yet AMD don't really want to make any as they're getting such good 40nm yields for the HD5870 they don't even want to push the HD5850 too hard. Silly AMD, you should have downclocked the HD5850 further instead of lasering it down to 18 SIMD clusters, and then stuck a slow 16-SIMD GPU on a 192-bit bus and 768MB slowish GDDR5 to make a cheap and well-positioned HD5830 for the "I want a 40nm HD4890+" crowd. That way you'd waste even less of the yield and make more use of the complete low-binned dies in slow 20-SIMD HD5850s! :P

Solitaire for President!

You still tipsy LB? :P

I'm guessing this mess stems from TSMC's early issues with the 40nm process; AMD projected a shortfall on high-bin dies for the HD5870 and a surplus of units only good for some laser-based neutering fun, ergo HD5830/50. The complete opposite has now happened and AMD think all their Christmases have come at once...

... and totally missed the points their own marketing blurb spelled out to everyone; if AMD hold to the original price plans it ain't gonna sell the surplus HD5870s, but it will force everyone to go to nVidia to make up for the absence of HD5830s (or cheap HD5850s). Epic faceplant material there AMD... :o

The big question is now can Nvidia beat the 4890 on price/performance! With amd's new cards priced the way they are, i don't see the 4890 dropping in price anytime soon...

Not so hard for Nvidia, AMD have gone easy on them!

I'd say Nvidia were well worried about these cards coming out and maybe that's why their next gen cards are taking so long to come? They wanted to see AMD's first!
    Either way Nvidia will surely be able to provide something better than what AMD is offering now. It's been such a long time (in terms of gpu time) since the 4890 and it and the 4870 still rule the budget world, Nvidia must have come up with something better!

and on the subject of faceplant

I agree that the 4890 isn't going to budge much on price any time soon. But its as much to do with how AMD have placed their newer offerings on the board. That along with the fact that they (AMD) will be looking to put the focus on the cheaper to make DX11 cards.

As for nV :O They have really been left exposed, with AMD looking to enjoy some ~6 months of DX11 limelight unrivalled o.O

nV's goal is clear, Fermi must blow AMDs best offering out of the water. It will do this (on the single gpu front at least), but it will come late and at a premium. Altho this wont stop enthusiasts everywhere to lap up.

As for new options on in the budget-mid range, I wouldnt get too excited. A similar pattern is likely to follow here, nV will come out with something to topple its mid lvl rival but wont be that aggressive with pricing. AMDs response will be a small price cut. (That is ofc just my prediction)

(EDIT: I should add that depending on the HD 5870X2's figures, nV might be forced into a price war - which would be great, but given how long they have to get their product right i can see it being a pricey monster)

• Advertisement

swirlser wrote: »
    I agree that the 4890 isn't going to budge much on price any time soon. But its as much to do with how AMD have placed their newer offerings on the board. That along with the fact that they (AMD) will be looking to put the focus on the cheaper to make DX11 cards.

If the prices on the current set of HD5xxx are not set to change any time soon though, does that signal ATI's margin's are under pressure? The price/performance was the main attraction to the HD4xxx, but could that be at and end?

Quite the opposite - AMD said the yields on the RV870 (?) were very high so less money wasted, and sadly the corollary is that there are fewer imperfect units to be cut down for us peasants to enjoy. If the margins were thin AMD would be lasering some of those RV870s right now to get more cut-price cards out regardless of quality! It really just looks like AMD has made a shedload of money on RV7xx, has better-than-projected stocks of RV870s and now firmly occupies the high ground so they're going to pull exactly the same BS stunt for DX11 that nVidia did for DX10! Remember the 18-month embargo of sub-€260 gaming cards we had when Vista came out?! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Marcface

Not looking good. The HD5750 costs about as much as a HD4870 1GB, which is rather unfortunate as its about as powerful as an €80 HD4850 :o It may be faster, but its only got 9 SIMD clusters instead of the HD4850's 10 :( The HD5770... oh dear :o It has the computational horsepower of the HD4890, costs about as much as a HD4890... the fact it's nowhere near as powerful 90% of the time (and just as fast for the remainder) strongly suggests that what I was afraid of has come to pass - AMD got too greedy with the GDDR5 and have crippled the memory bus a power of 2 too far :o

Seriously... the old HD4850 has a 256bit bus. The HD4870 512MB has a 256bit bus with GDDR5 memory. And their replacements have 128bit buses not seen in a single card over €60... until now. Thanks a bunch AMD, and once you're done shooting yourself in the foot please make a proper mid-range card willya?! :mad:

... I was going to buy a 5770 next month, then I read this :eek: I'm extremely surprised that AMD are following up such a wonderful line as the 4800 series with this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Buy them in 6 months, feck all games coming out that a 4870 has even the slightest issue with.

2nd gen the **** thats broke in the 1st gen is usually fixed :cool::P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I was discussing this with Anand (CLANG) and the conclusion is that pricing on all the 5 series boards is too high. The reason for that is simple - AMD is selling at a premium while Fermi is delayed. The moment it comes out, AMD will slash prices on the existing 5 series, introduce X2's and match performance at the high end that way.

Expect availability on 4 series boards to start drying up over the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So is it a bad move to buy at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Yes, you are better off waiting a little while then picking up one on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I was going to pick up a gtx 295 until I was advised against it as they don't support dx11. The last time I could have considered myself up to date graphics cards were AGP and SATA came as an option on the more expensive mobos :D.

So do you reckon there will be dual gpu 5870s on the market after christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

kowloon wrote: »
    So do you reckon there will be dual gpu 5870s on the market after christmas?

Almost Certainly.
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5870-review-test/2
    I know that you guys have been wondering about it a lot. Yes, there will be a dual-GPU product, likely to be called the Radeon HD 5870 X2. This card should be on the market by Christmas 2009. It is rumored that the dual-GPU (Hemlock) solution will cost a hefty $549~599. But that's all we can tell you right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Ok so I’ve been looking at the 5770 all day trying to figure out if it is worth getting or not compared to a 4870 (1GB) or a 4890 as they are all close enough to €150 give or take.

From what I can tell, the 5770 and the 4870 have similar performance with the 4870 rarely producing more than 15-20 fps better in a few games but in general it is closer*.

Now given that the tests at the moment are all based on the first driver for the 5770 whereas the 4870 is on a more stable driver, I am wondering will the difference in fps be made up with new drivers?

(As a matter of interest, does anyone have any idea with the fps improvements have been due to driver updates for the 4870/4890?)

Anyway, saw this thread earlier and became seriously concerned about the 128 bit bus until I read this:
    http://hardocp.com/article/2009/10/12/amd_ati_radeon_hd_5770_5750_review/9

Now I am at a total loss again. :)

I realise hardocp are making an assumption that new DX11 games are going to be more CPU intensive, and that there are a few DX11 games coming in the next few months, but I wonder how fast DX11 will be accepted as the standard platform?

Overall, I am still left with the dilemma whether I would be better off getting a 4890until DX11 becomes popular and widely accepted or just get the 5770 now, hope new drivers will increase its performance for current games and be happy knowing I might get a few months extra out of the 5770 vs. the 4890, before I have to upgrade again...

*Every site seems to have massively different benchmarks between these 3 cards but this is the average difference I have seen, although one website claimed there was only a 1-2% difference in the performance between a 5770 and a 4870!

• Advertisement

I'm not bothered by the fact that the HD5770 has a 128-bit bus, I'm bothered by the fact that the massive drop in memory bandwidth has crippled a HD4890-killer so badly it loses to a HD4870 at 1080p. And that's not the kind of problem you can fix with a driver update. Why on earth didn't they go for a 192-bit bus and 768MB GDDR5?! It would have given them a much stronger card than a 1GB-on-a-crippled-bus jobbie! You can already do that with a 1GB HD4850 and up the GPU clocks a bit! :o

Simple fact: the cards replace the HD4850 and HD4870 512MB respectively. They don't outperform them, they just add DX11 and drop the power consumption. Given that they're probably a lot cheaper to make (~50% less actual silicon on the die!) why the hell do they put on the price premium?! They're competing with their own products. And losing! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Was it the number 5770 that got ya all excited?

Nah... it was "128-bit" and "good for 1080p" in the same sentence that got me all heated :D

Given that they're probably a lot cheaper to make (~50% less actual silicon on the die!) why the hell do they put on the price premium?! They're competing with their own products. And losing! :eek:

You've missed the nail with the hammer there. :) AMD has had to cut its margins from the start of the 3 series just to compete with NV and its variations of G80. They've dominated the sub €100 market, and had at least parity with the €100- €150 market as a result, but they haven't been making the same profit margin as NV, at least until the 285/295, where NV's die size caught up with them, and they couldn't lower prices.

AMD has small parts on a new process they get excellent yields from (thank you 4770), and they have clearly spec'd parts that could sell a lot cheaper than they actually do. This is because they have a golden 3-6 month window where NV's parts are out of date, not compatible with Win7, can't be made at a profit, and are beaten on both price and performance. They have simply upped their margins, make hay while the sun shines, and figure that DX11 (Windows 7 compatibilty sticker if nothing else) and eyefinity are features that balance out not increasing actual performance in the €100-150 segment.

They're probably right.

But all they'll do is lose sales; nVidia pulled the exact same grift with Vista and DX10. Result? 18-month sales slump and nVidia grinning like a bunch of slack-jawed retards as they charge twice as much for GPUs arguably inferior to the previous 7-series and fail to realise that they still lose money as people simply stop buying. The insane prices simply curtailed any development or spending on the segment as the techies said "**** this" and embargoed the segment until AMD became competitve again and nVidia were finally forced to release the 8800GT at a far lower price than the infinitely inferior 8600GTS and €300+ 8800GTS 320MB.

AMD hasn't pushed their luck that far (unlike nVidia, who still cling to their Darwin Award for being the only OEM who successfully managed to reverse Moore's Law! :p) but the same will inevitably happen again; a few loaded individuals will grab HD58** but the lower end of the market will be roundly ignored and vendors will continue to sell the popular old inventory. And when the supply of HD4890s run out? Pray AMD cops on and reduces the HD5850's RRP or get ready for a lean, lean winter :(

NV were holding out on what was too much of a price difference. The initial g80 parts were priced into the stratosphere because they thought they could get away with it, but at the same time they had no mainstream parts at all from that chip. They left the 7 series where it was, created a segment above that, and sat around making the profits. Since there was nothing for the mid-market buyer to upgrade to from a performance, or features standpoint from either camp until the 3870 came out, there was no buying going on.

ATI's mistake here is that they haven't properly killed off their old lines before releasing the new stuff. That's why availability of the 4 series is about to dry up, the difference they have this time is that the 57 series has features that the previous gen lacks. The question is, will it entice buying? I think it'll get them a lot of OEM sales and a small Win 7/Back to school boost.

I wouldn't be moaning if the HD5750 was going around the €80-90 mark, or indeed the HD5770 dropping below €100. But at the moment a bog-standard €80+ HD4850 can be OCd to and then past a HD5770 and there's little it can do to counter that other than pray its GDDR5 is in a good mood for OCing :P Hell... the HD4770 is dropping below €80 now... and with a bit of hefty OCing its not that many miles off a stock HD5770 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

Surprised at the 128 bus, I wasn't aware of that. Good call.

Advertisement