Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World of Goo Birthday Sale: $0.01 (or Best Offer)

Options
  • 14-10-2009 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭

Until October 18th World of Goo will be celebrating its birthday! You can buy the game now from http://2dboy.com for a self-prescribed amount that can be anywhere from a penny up.

How much did you pay for it? I chose $8.99 after playing the demo and watching the trailer reel afterward. There is some serious genius there. And that $8.99 went straight to the developer. I also figure its a pretty fair price point for this (from what I can tell) short but incredibly inventive game. Award winning as it is, I think $20 is scaring away too many potential players.

Get your copy now, which is incidentally DRM free. But they asked me to return the favor by not distributing it. So I wont. Imagine if EA had only asked us nicely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

savage idea

definately gonna pick it up, though im broke so 5 euro will do for me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Seen this in Bargain Alerts. I could only manage $3 as times are tough but I have emailed my mates about the offer and asked them to throw a few quid in and get it because it's worth it. So I figure any money I help them get is just as good (doesn't cost them more if I download it or I download it and tell a few friends who wouldn't have known about it).
    Delighted to see companies try things like this and to be honest along with Championship manager (which did similar, minimum of £2.50) this is one of 2 PC games I have purchased this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Went with $6.99 - about the price of a pint!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Definitely a game worth whatever price you pick - full price was worth it when I picked it up a few months ago, but great to see people getting a chance to buy it (and I think in a lot of these cases, the developers do actually make money, despite the few scroungers who will pay lowest possible). A fine game from a very respectable independent developer (the no DRM thing is particularly welcome).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I bought it for full price on wiiware and thought it was well worth it. Awesome game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

wow, it would be a good wii game come to thunk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Bought it for 5$

It's a fun game alright !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

the joints aren't rigid enough - constructions tend to be too saggy, still fun though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MooseJam wrote: »
    the joints aren't rigid enough - constructions tend to be too saggy, still fun though

Eh, the point of the game is to work around this!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This game would be PERFECT on the iPhone or DS.

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote: »
    there was a bridge building game than ran similarly to the concept. you built just like you do goo almost, and when youre done building you had to test it out by running a train across your bridge. actually quite difficult. cant remember the name of it anymore though. goo takes it so many fold farther.

edit: oh, no **** overheal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_Builder

the engineering classes in ITC practically prescribed the game to themselves as a good brain exercise. its still pretty fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

An iPhone version is in development at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Overheal wrote: »
    there was a bridge building game than ran similarly to the concept. you built just like you do goo almost, and when youre done building you had to test it out by running a train across your bridge. actually quite difficult. cant remember the name of it anymore though. goo takes it so many fold farther.

I believe the original actually was called Bridge Builder :D There was another one called Pontifex. Bridge Builder is freeware btw.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

hmm is it worth the €0.01 I wonder.. :D

1 cent would be an insult. im glad i gave em my 9 bucks. finished though i already am, bar the last two levels which were skipped (nice ending btw) and the OCD. mmm....OCD.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Stephen wrote: »
    I believe the original actually was called Bridge Builder :D There was another one called Pontifex. Bridge Builder is freeware btw.

There were 4 bridge builder games:
    Bridge builder
    Pontifex
    Pontifex 2

and another one which was bundled with graphics cards.

I have Pontifex 2, easily one of the most innovative games I've ever played, I wish there was more room for games like these; the big developers are churning out the same 'established market' crap every year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The results of the Experiment are in:
    http://2dboy.com/

The offer is still open but 2Dboy claim it has been a success.
    Its very interesting how many people choose to pay more than 1c.
    A taste of things to come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I 'donated' 9.99 already have the game - wow so many cheapskates , why even pay 1 cent thats insulting why not just get it another way

The RPS analysis is interesting.

Even though there were so many cheap skates many people did give $1 and multiples of $5. They estimate that they made about $100,000 in a week which isn't bad for a year old game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interesting analysis alright. The 1c majority is disappointing, but hey this is the internet! I think that some people paid more than the standard price is fascinating too, not too many but people were obviously big enough fans of the game to make such a donation. But the sales between 5 and 10 dollars are probably the ones that made 2D Boy a fair amount of money, and it is great that people were able to pay what they wanted / could afford to experience one of the finest indie games of recent times. And two talented, independent developers just made a lot of money, which is always nice. Plus, everyone learned a fascinating lesson! Yay!

• Advertisement

hurrah for gaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I really loved this game - are there any others out there with a similar, casual gameplay style that you could recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Armadillo Run is another fun game along these lines

Plants vs Zombies is another one in a similar sort of style. Fairly basic and accessible gameplay that gets steadily more strategic and complicated as the game progresses. Plus, it's made by Popcap, who are the kings of smart casual games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Plants vs Zombies is another one in a similar sort of style. Fairly basic and accessible gameplay that gets steadily more strategic and complicated as the game progresses. Plus, it's made by Popcap, who are the kings of smart casual games.
    That's so weird, I actually got Plants vs Zombies free in work last week (Pop Cap are trying to win our business), as well as Peggle - almost finished Peggle and while I like it, it isn't a patch on World of Goo in terms of visuals, gameplay and overall experience. Will install P. vs Z. and give it a spin!

ionapaul wrote: »
    That's so weird, I actually got Plants vs Zombies free in work last week (Pop Cap are trying to win our business), as well as Peggle - almost finished Peggle and while I like it, it isn't a patch on World of Goo in terms of visuals, gameplay and overall experience. Will install P. vs Z. and give it a spin!

Bah speaking ill of Peggle :P It's like the crack cocaine of games... you know there are better things out there, but you just. Can't. Stop!

Nah but Plants vs Zombies is more of a traditional 'game', tower defence style. Art design with lots of character, need for some sort of strategic planning (but never frustrating) and the same sort of pleasingly frantic pace as World of Goo. World of Goo is perhaps the better of the two (plus it has that hilarious meta-narrative), but they are both fine pieces of software, and I think any PC should be equipped with both ideally!

peggle feels far too simple to keep me entertained for too long. Plants vs Zombies was a winner though. Probably worth the whole $10 they ask for on Steam.

Advertisement