Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience of seeking sponsorship (SBS)?

Options
  • 14-10-2009 7:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi guys

I'm looking for some help and a bit of advice, if anyone has a minute or two. Just a couple of questions really...

I'm coming to the end of a WHV and am leaving Australia in the next few weeks. I haven't done the 88 days regional work and don't have time to (I've been living and working in Sydney).

Has anyone out there got a job here and got sponsorship off the bat, i.e. they sponsor you to take you on? Aside from nurse obviously.

Also has anyone had any experience or knowledge of coming here on a holiday visa and loking for sponsorship?

Also - I've read in other threads on here that some people have had their de facto applications processed quicker through London. As I've been told that it could be 2012 before they look at recent Permanent Residency applications (!) I wonder is that the same for PR applications? Anyone going through this at the moment?

It's proving very hard to separate fact from fiction in some of the Aussie immigration's advice!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Just to add a few other questions, as someone who could be facing this situation in 9 months.

Would it help if me and the missus started getting bills changed into our joint names? should we get a joint bank account?

also, PR = Permanent Resident. Was that a typo and u meant sponsorship visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Just to add a few other questions, as someone who could be facing this situation in 9 months.

Would it help if me and the missus started getting bills changed into our joint names? should we get a joint bank account?
    If you're going for defacto then yes, yes, yes.

Also ask people to address cards, to you both, talk about seeing you both last year etc, so there's evidence of a history.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

The_B_Man wrote: »

also, PR = Permanent Resident. Was that a typo and u meant sponsorship visa?

No, that was just an additional question about PR waiting times (I'm looking at a few options!). Apologies for the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The first and only job (Electronic Engineer) I got in Australia was on a condition that they sponsored me, worked there for about 5 months (at this time 3 months was the max time for an employer....oops!) then they sponsored me for a 457, they then sponsored me again last year for an 856 PR. They paid for evertything.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    The first and only job (Electronic Engineer) I got in Australia was on a condition that they sponsored me, worked there for about 5 months (at this time 3 months was the max time for an employer....oops!) then they sponsored me for a 457, they then sponsored me again last year for an 856 PR. They paid for evertything.

That's encouraging. I have been applying for jobs all this week (without any mention of my visa status - to at least give myself a chance!) and I'm hoping that I'll come across a similarly generous employer. That said, I've only got until January left on my WHV so time is of the essence!

• Advertisement

That's encouraging. I have been applying for jobs all this week (without any mention of my visa status - to at least give myself a chance!) and I'm hoping that I'll come across a similarly generous employer. That said, I've only got until January left on my WHV so time is of the essence!

Goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Hi guys

I'm looking for some help and a bit of advice, if anyone has a minute or two. Just a couple of questions really...

I'm coming to the end of a WHV and am leaving Australia in the next few weeks. I haven't done the 88 days regional work and don't have time to (I've been living and working in Sydney).

Has anyone out there got a job here and got sponsorship off the bat, i.e. they sponsor you to take you on? Aside from nurse obviously.

Also has anyone had any experience or knowledge of coming here on a holiday visa and loking for sponsorship?

Also - I've read in other threads on here that some people have had their de facto applications processed quicker through London. As I've been told that it could be 2012 before they look at recent Permanent Residency applications (!) I wonder is that the same for PR applications? Anyone going through this at the moment?

It's proving very hard to separate fact from fiction in some of the Aussie immigration's advice!

Thanks.

Hi Op, I was one of those lucky people that have got their sponsorship off the back of a tourist visa about 1.5 years ago, however my flat mate got sponsored last week straight in to a new job.

We are both in IT, she's a tester and im in app support so there is always a high demand for these areas.

Both of us went in to the agency and said straight out that we were looking for sponsorship, no point in messing them about and they were happy to send us in the direction of sponsorship jobs only. If a company needs someone in your area they are not going to care about $2k visa fee...i know some people that even pay the fee themselves, to get around the company.

It all depends on what you do, if you are a trades person your going to find it very difficult getting straight in to sponsorship. If your not working in your degree/qualification are you are going to find it tough and if you have no qualifications you haven't a hope really.

Back to the PR, I popped my independent application last month ... and was told there is a 2 year wait ... and i'd be surprised if i get it within that.
    The employer sponsored application are taking 4 months ... and this is getting longer for those applications. Agents no longer telling employer sponsored people a time frame due it constantly getting longer.

Just a note, sponsorship visa are still going through in about 3 weeks from what I am hearing.

Is there any chance of your girlfriend getting sponsorship? You can get the defacto added pretty easily, but start pulling a few things together, letters from home...wedding invites with both your names on it ... photos from different times of the year (christmas, st paddys, race days, winter, summer) so it looks like over a year in the photos, keep flight tickets, if you have e-tickets that match then have a search for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Just a note, sponsorship visa are still going through in about 3 weeks from what I am hearing.

Sorry to drag up this old thread again but is the above time frame still true? Its a 457 visa isn't it? Does one have to apply for a defacto visa after the sponsorship comes through or can both be done at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rebel333

well I got my sponsorship a month ago in 8 days from when they put in the nomination, but I had all my documents together. Put my boyfriend on the same visa. it's easier to do it together.

Norinoco, thanks for your response. So encouraging to see that sponsorship off a tourist visa is not an impossibility. I have a good degree and would be working in that field (journalism/PR).

I may be able to go de facto with my GF by May, but it just could be a bit tough to be out of work for that long.

Going to come back in January and begin the job hunt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Good luck with the job hunt.

Just a correction ... found out recently the fee for a company to sponsor is about $345 not $2k! But they might have to pay an agent to process the application with can be the expensive bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Norinoco wrote: »
    Good luck with the job hunt.

Just a correction ... found out recently the fee for a company to sponsor is about $345 not $2k! But they might have to pay an agent to process the application with can be the expensive bit.

That's the sponsorship fee, there's also a nomination fee of $70, and an application fee of $260.
    so $675 in total. most companies pay the whole lot, or at least only leave the $260 to you.

However, I have seen companies agree to sponsorship on the basis that the applicant pays the full $675

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

the basic premis is that you are

SKILLED

if you have a qualification and can get a Job then SORTED, Australia wants, no Australia NEEDS motivated Skilled individuals.

I got it sorted a few years ago now on the basis that no one could or would do what I do for a livin.

all immigration really care about at the end of the day is will you be a net contributor to Australia, if the answer is yes the rest is a formality

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

I got slated in another thread for talking about going for sponsorship on a tourist visa! by a poster to this thread!, Again....go for for it dude, I am not going for sponsorship on my tourist visa, just giving my opinion.
    Of course if an engineering role arises and I'm a bit bored...then I may take the sponsorship godammitt!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The difference would be, I'd imagine, is the op is on a working holiday visa not a tourist visa

(edit:btw, It wasn't me who slated him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

When you arrive at the airport ask the guy at the passport check if you are allowed look for sponsorship while on the VISA you are on.

I have no idea what he/she will say, but thats the only word you can be sure of.

Mellor wrote: »
    The difference would be, I'd imagine, is the op is on a working holiday visa not a tourist visa

(edit:btw, It wasn't me who slated him)

I think beachband is referring to me, I didn't so much slate him but rightly pointed out that actively seeking work on a tourist visa can get you into trouble.

All I was saying is that turning up on a company doorstep asking for work could land you in hot water if the Employer took a dislike and was awkward enough to report you to DIAC for seeking a job while on a tourist visa.

Much different than seeking a job on the net and maybe arranging to travel for an interview, at least when entering the country you can give the reason for travel as 'Job interview' and not 'Holiday'.

Other people might have got jobs from a tourist visa but maybe they were lucky they were not caught.

What do you honestly think immigration people at the Airport would say if you told them the reason you came to Australia to look around and see if you can find a job?

P.S By the way Beachband what sort of Engineering? I am an Electronic Engineer myself and we have 2 vacant positions and my company definitely sponsors?

Electronic Engineering technician/test engineering, maybe slate was a bit harsh(Ireland just got robbed like, hope the ole man is around to see them qualify for the next one with me)
    I was talking about finding work legitimately if you are on a tourist visa, I used up my whv(see previous post!) without even realising it(very naive).
    So I gave up my job of over 10 years(they didn't wan't me going anywhere), to go to Oz, do a few courses, a bit of life experience and maybe the opportunity of something in electronics if it arose, electronics is one of those things...you can be so involved, and can miss it if you are away from it.

Beachband wrote: »
    Electronic Engineering technician/test engineering, maybe slate was a bit harsh(Ireland just got robbed like, hope the ole man is around to see them qualify for the next one with me)
    I was talking about finding work legitimately if you are on a tourist visa, I used up my whv(see previous post!) without even realising it(very naive).
    So I gave up my job of over 10 years(they didn't wan't me going anywhere), to go to Oz, do a few courses, a bit of life experience and maybe the opportunity of something in electronics if it arose, electronics is one of those things...you can be so involved, and can miss it if you are away from it.

Yeah I did the same 5 years ago, I was on a WHV and managed to get sponsored for a 457 after my company give me a trial for near 6 months. Managed to get sponsored for PR last year.

Great stuff dude, have yet to go to Oz, was planning on going back to WA, was there a couple of times on a short holiday, so going east this time as I never got to that part of Oz.
    The only way to get back to Oz for any reasonable amount of time is going with a tourist visa.
    What style of electronics are you involved in?

• Advertisement
Advertisement