Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roll-out of 4G Internet network by 2012

Options
  • 14-10-2009 8:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

Around 200 new jobs are set to be created as a result of the roll-out of a new high-speed 4G Internet network across the country.

The Irish-owned communications firm Imagine says it will provide high-speed access to 90% of the country by 2012 through its new WiMax technology.

Phase one of the scheme, which covers a quarter of a million homes, will be completed by the middle of next month.

One hundred million euro is being invested in the project.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/business/rollout-of-4g-internet-network-to-create-200-jobs-1912560.html

As I'm not up to date with the new topologies for networking (was going through a 3g introduction when I qualified from college) this 4g network provides a nominal rate of 100Mbits/sec according to wikipedia. Obviously this will be very dependent on the signal, amount of users in a single cell and the weather conditions. It still is a huge boost for broadband infrastructure in Ireland. Perhaps someone may know more about the 4th generation network?

Wimax is using the OFDM techonlogy.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yawn. This is a RIPWAVE replacement now that ripwave is unsellable because of its awful reputation.

It will not cover 90% of the state.

It will not even cover the 90% of the population who occupy the most densely populated 65% of the state by area.

It runs at 5.3ghz or 3.5ghz or at similar high frequencies all with propogation and building penetration 'issues' . Expect the modem to live on the window sill most of the time hunting for signal vestiges .

Nor will it create 200 jobs ...excepting maybe 20-30 jobs in their large call centre .....which is in Armagh.

Spin waffle and marketing guff, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

3 Ireland already has a 4G network but speeds are very slow. I Sometimes plug my phone into the PC and use the internet. Not very good unlike my 10mb broadband from UPC at home :p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ryanch09 wrote: »
    3 Ireland already has a 4G network but speeds are very slow. I Sometimes plug my phone into the PC and use the internet. Not very good unlike my 10mb broadband from UPC at home :p:p:p:p:p

3's network is HSDPA which is generally seen as "3.5G", Imagine's network is WIMAX. But you're lucky to get HSDPA, it degrades to normal UMTS ("3G") and then GPRS ("2.5G") - not sure if 3 have EDGE ("2.75G")deployed at all.

Advertisement