Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imagine launch Midband Ripwave Replacement - WiMAX

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Hi folks ... I'll share my approach with you. Hope it helps:

I had to do some research about this, and came up with a pretty good line of attack against them.

Firstly, note the amount of times that you contacted them about the level of (or lack of) service as was being received by you from them ... ie... the amount of times you had to contact them over their **** service.

Say that you had problems from the very start and that you were fobbed off. This was them not allowing you to exercise the seven day cooling off period.

If they suggest that the seven day cooling off period was from the date you signed up to the service, tell them that they are wrong, because the cooling off period only begins when you are in a position to evaluate the service, and if they continue to argue that point, then say that their refusal to allow you your statutory rights according to their own terms and conditions is a breach of their own contract ... ie... they didnt allow you to pursue the cooling off period that they provided for in the contract.

Failing that, go along the lines of the service breaches the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980:

Subject to section 40, in every contract for the supply of a service where the supplier is acting in the course of a business, the following terms are implied—
    ( a ) that the supplier has the necessary skill to render the service,
    ( b ) that he will supply the service with due skill, care and diligence,
    ( c ) that, where materials are used, they will be sound and reasonably fit for the purpose for which they are required

Then, remind them of the penalties if they fail to comply:

A person guilty of an offence under this Act shall be liable—
    ( a ) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £500 or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both the fine and the imprisonment, or
    ( b ) on conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding £10,000 or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years or to both the fine and the imprisonment.

Hope that helps. It did for me ... and my hand was sore after holding the phone for an hour! lol

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I got an email back from them.

Now I gave the salesman my bank details but had not received the modem or anything yet.
    So anyway after reading this thread on boards I decided to cancel straight away. I emailed them and composed a written letter too.

Now they're saying they can find no record of me in their system.
    It could be that the salesman hasn't lodged my details with HQ yet but I seriously doubt that. It's been over a week now.

What I'm worried about now if that the modem will arrive and they'll say the 7 days has expired and I'll have to pay 100e if I want to cancel and whatnot.

I have obviously have the emails in my sent folder with the dates but I'm worried this shower will go down this route.
    I never registerd the cancellation letter even thought I meant too. I just fired it into the post box.

It comes as no surprise that they're the same company as "Irish Broadband"
    2 friends of mine had the Ripwave "Broadband" (lol) and I swear to God dialup was infinitely superior to it. Never did I come across anything like it.
    How they were getting away with calling it "Broadband" I shall never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭alanfa

i signed up in may and received their "service" in august I phoned and emailed 3 weeks later , when they got back eventually they were aggresive and confrontational now i'm being threatened with debt collectors if I dont pay

alanfa wrote: »
    i signed up in may and received their "service" in august I phoned and emailed 3 weeks later , when they got back eventually they were aggresive and confrontational now i'm being threatened with debt collectors if I dont pay

Hi ... try that approach I sent to you ... and failing that, give me another pm and I'll try another approach.

i think i'm just gonna go down and throw their little black box at them i've had enough and now i'm pissed off being consilatory didn work but i THANK YOU SINCERELY FOR YOUR HELP

• Advertisement

i think i'm just gonna go down and throw their little black box at them i've had enough and now i'm pissed off being consilatory didn work but i THANK YOU SINCERELY FOR YOUR HELP

dont do that ... they will see it as you not attempting to resolve the matter. pm me and we'll work on it together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

deravarra wrote: »
    Hi folks ... I'll share my approach with you. Hope it helps:

I had to do some research about this, and came up with a pretty good line of attack against them.

Firstly, note the amount of times that you contacted them about the level of (or lack of) service as was being received by you from them ... ie... the amount of times you had to contact them over their **** service.

Say that you had problems from the very start and that you were fobbed off. This was them not allowing you to exercise the seven day cooling off period.

If they suggest that the seven day cooling off period was from the date you signed up to the service, tell them that they are wrong, because the cooling off period only begins when you are in a position to evaluate the service, and if they continue to argue that point, then say that their refusal to allow you your statutory rights according to their own terms and conditions is a breach of their own contract ... ie... they didnt allow you to pursue the cooling off period that they provided for in the contract.

Failing that, go along the lines of the service breaches the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980:

Subject to section 40, in every contract for the supply of a service where the supplier is acting in the course of a business, the following terms are implied—
    ( a ) that the supplier has the necessary skill to render the service,
    ( b ) that he will supply the service with due skill, care and diligence,
    ( c ) that, where materials are used, they will be sound and reasonably fit for the purpose for which they are required

Then, remind them of the penalties if they fail to comply:

A person guilty of an offence under this Act shall be liable—
    ( a ) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £500 or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both the fine and the imprisonment, or
    ( b ) on conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding £10,000 or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years or to both the fine and the imprisonment.

Hope that helps. It did for me ... and my hand was sore after holding the phone for an hour! lol
    Fantastic advice I just have one little concern. I used to work for Perlico BB support and I remember my team leader telling me about some comreg loophole that if a provider advertises a package as 'up to speeds' of yada yada yada then theyre covered. It protects them from elements beyond their control that affects a transmission of say 7Mb like weather, line faults, line degredation, strong radio waves in an area.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Fantastic advice I just have one little concern. I used to work for Perlico BB support and I remember my team leader telling me about some comreg loophole that if a provider advertises a package as 'up to speeds' of yada yada yada then theyre covered. It protects them from elements beyond their control that affects a transmission of say 7Mb like weather, line faults, line degredation, strong radio waves in an area.

Hi ... that would be fine if there was some decent service now and again. However, you cannot blame all of the above for a consistently poor service, or else your are admitting that your service is not fit for the purpose intended.

the main problem that most of the people here have is not that its not always 7mb ... its that most of them can rarely get about 1mb ... the service is flaky and inconsistent a majority of the times they are trying to access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

Anyone out there have problems with broadband from Imagine WiMax? Download speeds as low as 0.03Mb in Sandyford. Woeful customer service. No replies to e mails, no promised call backs. They have sent a bill which I really do not want to pay and I want to cancel the service. There is also a €100 cancellation fee. I have been trying to get answers from them from the day after I installed the wireless hub. Anyone got any advise as regards cancelling and getting out of having to pay the bills for their "service".

I have contacted ComReg and they are on the case. I dont see why I should have to pay for this non service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Just got a letter from Imagine (Irish Broadband) to tell me that my existing Breeze Max service will in a few weeks no longer work and I will be 'upgraded' to WiMax. I've been following this thread closely for a while and am a bit pi**ed off. Amazingly I have had very few problems with my Breeze connection and I'd be happy enough to stick with it. The speed is never whats advertised but I get by with general surfing, emailing and quite a bit of online gaming on the PS3. My problem is that my options for broadband are extremely limited as I live in the sticks just outside Drogheda. Should I be as worried annoyed as I am...???

Rats

for facebook and emailing its fine but gaming or live streaming forget about it. Its only worth getting if ya have absolutely no other option and you need internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Wow looks like i was lucky i got the antenna installed as it sounds like everyone is having big problems with the standard modem

I have though about heading down to their offices but as far as I am concerned why should I have to take time off work to point out to them that their service is crap, they dont answer e mails and refuse to call me back. If I go down there all I would be tempted to do is to fling the hub through their front window.

dvdfan wrote: »
    Wow looks like i was lucky i got the antenna installed as it sounds like everyone is having big problems with the standard modem[/QUOTE

Its the 21st Century ya shouldn need an antenna to get broadband ffs, btw when that fool is singing about faster cheaper better maybe he was really selling aerials

I'd just like to thank everyone for their help and support and to anyone who has contributed to this thread . After contacting Comreg Imagine have finally agreed to cancel their"service" and it looks likely that my problem will be resolved . It's reassuring to know that some organs of the state are still functioning and the samll person still has a voice:D

Great to hear. Comreg seems to have gotten the ball rolling in my case and it will be interesting to see how I get on from here. I have no intention of paying anything to Wimax and if they want their hub back they can come collect it. To anyone who is reading this trying to decide if they should go for Imagine or not, please save yourself a lot of trouble and go to another provider. Imagine will cause you no end of problems.

Victory shall be mine!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Finally got my account cancelled after two weeks of emailing them.

My last email was "I have clearly attempted to cancel without 7 days of opening an account as per email dates. I have cancelled the DD at my bank. If the modem arrives it will be left outside my door and it's not my problem"

They reply back within 2 hours saying my account is cancelled, lol.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Finally got my account cancelled after two weeks of emailing them.

My last email was "I have clearly attempted to cancel without 7 days of opening an account as per email dates. I have cancelled the DD at my bank. If the modem arrives it will be left outside my door and it's not my problem"

They reply back within 2 hours saying my account is cancelled, lol.

Good man we have to stand up for our own rights in this awful country , if there was any kind of law here that misleading advertising campaign would be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Herby12

Hi, every body.
    I´m sorry for my english.
    I get my wimax 7mb at Monday and Tuesday a was writing mail that I want to cancel my service. And they refused me.
    My email: > I know my rights and I know that I can cancel my contract now without cancellation fee because Im in the cooling off period. And with the beginning of the cooling off period you are wrong because the cooling off period only begins when I´m in a position to evaluate the service. Distance Selling Directive applies to any consumer distance contract made under the law of an EU-Member State as well as the European Economic Area (EEA). So please cancel my service and with no cancellation fee.
    Wimax reply:
    (On the Welcome letter the very last line states "if you change your mind no problem, you can cancel your order, just let us know within the next 7 days. Its also states in our Terms & Conditions
    11. TERMINATION
    11.2 If the Customer terminates this Agreement or the WiMax Service(s) or any of them, during the Minimum Term, including in circumstances where the customer is changing address, imagine may, without prejudice to its rights to treat the termination as a breach or repudiation of this Agreement, agree to accept such termination provided that the Equipment is returned in good order and that thirty (30) days prior written notice has been received of such termination and the Customer agrees to pay to imagine all outstanding charges accrued in full together with the termination charge of one hundred Euros (€100) inclusive of VAT for early termination of the WiMax Service(s).

You agreed to the Terms & Conditions when signing up for the service so unfortunately the cancellation fee would be valid, this is in no way affecting your rights.)

Please anyone can help with this case. Thanks

• Advertisement

Herby12 wrote: »
    Hi, every body.
    I get my wimax 7mb at Monday and Tuesday a was writing mail that I want to cancel my service. And they refused me.
    My email: > I know my rights and I know that I can cancel my contract now without cancellation fee because Im in the cooling off period. And with the beginning of the cooling off period you are wrong because the cooling off period only begins when I´m in a position to evaluate the service. Distance Selling Directive applies to any consumer distance contract made under the law of an EU-Member State as well as the European Economic Area (EEA). So please cancel my service and with no cancellation fee.
    Wimax reply:
    (On the Welcome letter the very last line states "if you change your mind no problem, you can cancel your order, just let us know within the next 7 days. Its also states in our Terms & Conditions
    11. TERMINATION
    11.2 If the Customer terminates this Agreement or the WiMax Service(s) or any of them, during the Minimum Term, including in circumstances where the customer is changing address, imagine may, without prejudice to its rights to treat the termination as a breach or repudiation of this Agreement, agree to accept such termination provided that the Equipment is returned in good order and that thirty (30) days prior written notice has been received of such termination and the Customer agrees to pay to imagine all outstanding charges accrued in full together with the termination charge of one hundred Euros (€100) inclusive of VAT for early termination of the WiMax Service(s).

You agreed to the Terms & Conditions when signing up for the service so unfortunately the cancellation fee would be valid, this is in no way affecting your rights.)

Hi these people are unscrupulous get on to comreg straight way and cancel the direct debit with the bank . Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Their terms and conditions mean very little when you have the right to cancel, as you've said, within the 7 day cooling off period. Cancel the direct debit, return the modem, be done with them.

jor el wrote: »
    Their terms and conditions mean very little when you have the right to cancel, as you've said, within the 7 day cooling off period. Cancel the direct debit, return the modem, be done with them.

That would be fine if you were dealing with a reputable company , after dealing with them for 3 months trying to cancel they were so insistent that I pay all these absurd charges it was only when I got Comreg involved that they listened. Bearing in mind that they did provide me with a service it shows how ruthless that they are.:eek:

Hi, every body.
    Wimax reply:
    11. TERMINATION

Imagine are really tying every trick in the book with their attempts at extorting money out of people.

See the part where they said "terms and conditions ...."? well, e terms and conditions also mention the 7 day cooling off period whereby you can decide not to proceed with the contract. They will try to bs you and say that the 7 day period started from the time that you signed a contract. However, this I'd really low from imagine, because e contract does not begin until you received the modem from them. For exemple, if you signed up with them in may, but didn't received your modem until august... they will suggest that the contract began in august, and not may. They can't have it both ways as they would like to. If the contract begins on receipt of the modem, then the 7 day cooling off period begins at the same time.

Definitely bring this to comreg. And by the way, I'm not sure why you quoted the direct selling thingy in here, as the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980 provides the proper legal framework for any response to imagine's persistent badgering of it's 'clients'.

Good luck with it all and keep us informed.

its disgraceful that Imagine are allowed to conduct their business in this fashion

I try to cancel direct debit but the lady in the AIB said that they need some information from the imagine and she also said that if they don't give me information what I need a can cancel DD on the day when they charge my account so I will watching. And that's mail what a just send:
    Under EC (Protection of Consumers in Respect of Contracts Made by Means of Distance
    Communication) Regulations, 2001 a consumer has the right to cancel an order and
    receive a full refund, within seven working days of receipt, known as the “cooling off”
    period.
    And as I remember I let you know that I´m not available during the September and the day when you can deliver service is 1 of October (from this day a was available for delivery) and even though you sent me some letter and try to deliver my wimax. If you don´t believe me you can check your records that a told this to your colleague. So I should get my letter now and that's mean I'm in cooling off period. So my cooling off period is now and I want cancel my contract without cancellation fee.
    And one more thing I get welcome letter from you at 24.08.2010 and at this time wimax wasn't available in Tralee so how I can be in a position to evaluate the service.
    Once again: Distance Selling Directive applies to any consumer distance contract made under the law of an EU-Member State as well as the European Economic Area (EEA).
    The cooling off period only begins when I´m in a position to evaluate the service.

My download and upload 0.65Mbps/0.25Mbps When I'm lucky a have stable 1Mbps/0.20Mbps
    Test sites Imagine speed test and SpeedTest.net

If you have an online bank account you might be able to cancel the DD online. I still think however that the bank has to cancel the DD as soon as you ask them to. You do not need permission from IMAGINE.

As previously suggested I would advise getting on to ComReg straight away. If it helps their number is 01 8049668. Make sure to mention 7 days cooling off and keep all e mails from and to IMAGINE.

barrmur wrote: »
    If you have an online bank account you might be able to cancel the DD online. I still think however that the bank has to cancel the DD as soon as you ask them to. You do not need permission from IMAGINE.

As previously suggested I would advise getting on to ComReg straight away. If it helps their number is 01 8049668. Make sure to mention 7 days cooling off and keep all e mails from and to IMAGINE.

the bank explained to me that once Imagine have your details the bank must process their request and if they seek funds they may get them, and bank charges on £12 apply every time the bank decline to pay the DD

Balls to that. Still I think our forgien friend has a really strong case here. He/She wanted to cancel within 7 days. The T&C say that he can. As I said just keep a record of all communications and give ComReg a call.

When IMAGINE called me yesterday the person I was talking to said that "I should not have been sold the service as I was not in range of their mast". Its strange that when I put my address and phone number into their website and point out my house on a map I am told, "Congratulations you are within our coverage area"!!!

Surely this has to be illegal??

• Advertisement

ha ha very good , yes he has a cast iron case but as you know Imagine ignoree you , he must contact comreg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I try to cancel direct debit but the lady in the AIB said that they need some information from the imagine and she also said that if they don't give me information what I need a can cancel DD on the day when they charge my account so I will watching.
    the bank explained to me that once Imagine have your details the bank must process their request and if they seek funds they may get them, and bank charges on £12 apply every time the bank decline to pay the DD

Banks are forever trying to pull this sh*t on people. If your bank's staff don't know how to do thier job, then tell them to read the Direct Debit rulebook. Also have a look at all the information on this page.

Of particular note is this part:

# You can request your bank to refuse a direct debit payment on your account up to close of business the day before the direct debit is due to be paid from your account
    # You can cancel the Direct Debit Instruction by writing in good time to your bank

So, cancel your direct debit, take no nonsense from the bank about this, and if they continue to refuse to cancel it, tell them you'll report it to the Regulator. Return the modem to Imagine, with a letter that tells them you're finished with them and returning it under the cooling off period as you are entitled to do without any penalty.

Note that you must actually pay for any days of service you used before returning the modem. That's all you need to pay.

AIB has no option to cancel direct debit with you internet banking and when I was in AIB I also asked if its there set-up a DD on my account and their said no. Imagine always set-up a DD on your account on the day when first payment should be taken.
    Is there anybody who have the same problem as me and trying to resolve the problem through comreg. I will be very pleased to join him.
    And I write to message to comreg and now I waiting for reply. So we will see.

I just send the mail to imagine:
    So if you don't want to cancel my contract within 7 days cooling off period I'm about cancel my Direct Debit and I will send you your equipment back at Friday 15.10,2010 and there is no cancellation fee.
    I thinking about contact comreg.
    Thank you very much.

We will see what they reply and if nothing happened I will contact comreg tomorrow or I put then on small claim court.

Good stuff. Make sure to keep us updated on how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

wimax is just a crap service,i order a 7mb off them and i only got around 1mb to 2mb speed total ****,i live in dublin 10 area ,whats the point off payin for a 7mb speed and you only gettin half of what im payin for,then when i cancel it they have a cheek of asking for E100 just to cancel it,

dont pay the E100 becouse they are Not fulfuling there contract in any way........

• Advertisement

So I just get another mail it was 5:49:
    As I have already advised your cooling off period was up in September, we sent the welcome letter out on the 16th of September and the courier company tried to contact you from the 22nd of September but to no avail. We then resent the modem out to you on the 11th of October, you set up the service and to date have not tried to contact our Technical Support Department to advise that you are having issues with the WiMax service.

If you cancel the service as you are within a 12 month contract you will be charged a E100.00 cancellation fee.
    And my reply:
    First thing I advise you that Im on holidays and I will be available at 1 of October so you should send me the invitation letter on 1 October or later that's mean my cooling off period should starts at October.
    Second thing is that cooling off period starts at the day when a receipt the service that was at 11.10.2010.
    Third thing is that I sign for 7Mb a I getting something around 1Mb.
    I will send you your Internet hub back at Friday and I cancel my direct debit already.
    I will contact comreg at friday as well.
    I just ask you to cancel my contract within 7 days of receipt the service with no cancellation fee. I just asking for my statutory rights.
    And again just waiting for another mail. Can somebody tell me if I'm right or imagine?
    Never, ever never Imagine wimax.

See if you can work out what day you actually set up the online serivce with IMAGINE. There should be a mail in you inbox with something like,

"Congratulations, you're now up and running on WiMax. We hope you're enjoying the experience"

as the first line. I would think that you cooling off peroid would only start from the date you were actually in a position to see what the service is like. As such as long as you tried to cancel within 7 days from this day IMAGINE do not have a leg to stand on. Get in touch with ComReg and make sure you have all the days written down as they will ask for this and it will really help your case.

As I have already advised your cooling off period was up in September, we sent the welcome letter out on the 16th of September and the courier company tried to contact you from the 22nd of September but to no avail. We then resent the modem out to you on the 11th of October, you set up the service and to date have not tried to contact our Technical Support Department to advise that you are having issues with the WiMax service.

If you cancel the service as you are within a 12 month contract you will be charged a E100.00 cancellation fee.
    And my reply:
    First thing I advise you that Im on holidays and I will be available at 1 of October so you should send me the invitation letter on 1 October or later that's mean my cooling off period should starts at October.
    Second thing is that cooling off period starts at the day when a receipt the service that was at 11.10.2010.
    I will send you your Internet hub back at Friday and I cancel my direct debit already.
    I just ask you to cancel my contract within 7 days of receipt the service with no cancellation fee. I just asking for my statutory rights.
    And again just waiting for another mail. Can somebody tell me if I'm right or imagine?

I told ya they are absolute scum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

Just tell them that they did not fulfill there contract......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Just found this on youtube... thought you'd all get a kick out of it:

Brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

And my reply:

You're right... a cooling off period for a service starts at the beginning of the service delivery not from point of sale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Make sure you also complain to those lazy tossers in the National Consumer Agency , a cooling off starts WHEN YOU TAKE DELIVERY of the FULL PRODUCT not when you ORDER it as Achilles said.

Read this.

http://www.nca.ie/eng/Business_Zone/Guides/Full%20List/Remote%20Selling.html

There may even be 2 breaches so make the NCA do their job.

EG

a) Distance Selling Regulations/Distance Selling Directive
    b) e-Commerce regulations.

I haven't time to look further but the NCA does. Get them on the case today.

After week of complaining they have to did something with my service because when I get the wimax my speed was 0.65 Mbps and now after the week of complaining I getting at least 5mbps no mater what time is it and in the morning the speed is around 7 - 8.5 Mbps.icon10.gif

So I need advice cancel it or no.
    I think I stay whit wimax and if the speed drops down I can cancel the service any time because they have a record that I try to cancel my contract in cooling off period so there will be no cancellation fee.

What do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you have a choice to get "real broadband", get it as the service could be brutal in a week, month or whatever.

I am 3 months trying to cancel, it would be easier to get rid of bubonic plague, are they gonna give ya credit for the **** service ya had before

I have another question why I have to pay installation fee when I just get internet hub not the antenna and I installed hub myself so what's the point paying installation fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I have another question why I have to pay installation fee when I just get internet hub not the antenna and I installed hub myself so what's the point paying installation fee.

To get screwed over, that's why!

I think that's what's called an activation fee, and not an installation fee.
    Installation fee is €100 for the external antenna.

deravarra wrote: »
    I think that's what's called an activation fee, and not an installation fee.
    Installation fee is €100 for the external antenna.

Aha thats very nice from imagine. Activation fee I think thats very expensive to get a automatic message /congratulation you are now connected/ thats worth a 50Eur.
    I think they have fees for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 the_real_dave

Hmmm, well in stark contrast to just about every other post in this thread, I'm incredibly happy with my service from Imagine.

My speed is great, and consistant, 3.8-5Mb on a 3Mb package. I've been using the service since the middle of September and am 6km from the main antenna.

I have an external antenna placed on my chimney. During the install I requested that the cabling be brought through my attic. Due to their own insurance issues, they're not allowed to enter attics. I told them so, to leave me the necessary cables and I would bring it through my attic. They did so, and returned two days later as agreed, and had the system running in no time. The external antenna is quite small and neat.

I have had no speed/connection issues bar a bug I've found with my torrent program. If I allow large numbers of peers to connect, without limiting upload speed, my internet becomes incredibly congested, and unresponsive. I can only assume that the number of requests being sent out conflict with the software that limits the upload speed (which is .5Mb, and stays at it). The problem is easily solved by limiting upload speeds to .4Mb, allowing spare upload bandwidth. And yes, you can simply request for them to remove all firewalls from your modem, or to open specific ports, allowing full speed torrent downloading. (For me ~500KB/s, 5Mb/s)

When they say "No bandwidth limit" they mean it. I have downloaded in excess of 500GB in total in September and October, and have uploaded perhaps 120GB (I only track my download usage).

I've found their customer support helpful and polite, much better than some others (Perlico!! >.<)

Most of the issues raised here deal with people either acting like idiots and expecting Imagine to take the blame for their own mistakes, or people using the indoor hubs. I've very little experience with them (A friend of mine in Mallow town gets 2MB on a 1MB package on his).

People should not be put off Imagine by this thread. I've been through many ISPs, Eircom, Perlico, Vodafone, O2, 3 and now Imagine, and so far, Imagine are on top. The service and support are great for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement