Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imagine launch Midband Ripwave Replacement - WiMAX

1262728293032»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bimlico

I have had Wimax for the last 10 months and they are without doubt the worst service providers for broadband I have ever come across.
    Steer well clear and don't touch them with a barge pole.

They tried to charge me an early cancellation fee too until I pointed out to them that their service was not fit for purpose and if they wanted to go into a court of law I would have no problem proving that.

They backed down and released me from the contract.

THE WORST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Still amazes me how people sign up for this junk. I had it 3 years ago and it was the worst experience of my life. I have been with eircom, vodafone and now have UPC. what imagine provide is a poor 3g service and mount an antenna to do so. A 3g dongle would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I'd say that Imagine WiMAX has ended up with the same fate as their Ripwave service.

The Ripwave technology and the WiMAX technology aren't actually bad technologies at their core, if implemented correctly they can work quite well and at good speeds.

What IBB / Imagine have done though is oversubscribe the masts without deploying new sectors to cover new users to maximise profits.

When Ripwave (and subsequently WiMAX) was in the early stages with few subscribers it actually seemed to work quite well.

Same story every time. Instead of implementing true point to point WiMAX they instead went for a mobile implementation with improvements such as mounting an external antenna to make it seems point to point like but infact it is not.

Before anybody lambasts me for stating as such I used to work for the company. I was subsequently unceremoniously let go for criticising such practises. Hoe hum!

(*waves hello to all of the current and ex employees that he knows stalk this thread from time to time*)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I had it for years and never had a problem besides sllllooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww connection. upc now thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

MrVestek wrote: »
    I'd say that Imagine WiMAX has ended up with the same fate as their Ripwave service.

The Ripwave technology and the WiMAX technology aren't actually bad technologies at their core, if implemented correctly they can work quite well and at good speeds.

What IBB / Imagine have done though is oversubscribe the masts without deploying new sectors to cover new users to maximise profits.

When Ripwave (and subsequently WiMAX) was in the early stages with few subscribers it actually seemed to work quite well.

Same story every time. Instead of implementing true point to point WiMAX they instead went for a mobile implementation with improvements such as mounting an external antenna to make it seems point to point like but infact it is not.

Before anybody lambasts me for stating as such I used to work for the company. I was subsequently unceremoniously let go for criticising such practises. Hoe hum!

(*waves hello to all of the current and ex employees that he knows stalk this thread from time to time*)

I had it in the early days. They'd throttle torrent downloads. I could use it for browsing but nothing else.

I had it in the early days. They'd throttle torrent downloads. I could use it for browsing but nothing else.

Ripwave or WiMAX?

I know that back in the IBB days they used Ellacoya Traffic Management systems for Ripwave and Breeze network traffic shaping back in the day.

Not sure if they would have employed the same system with WiMAX but one would assume so as the infrastructure was already there for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Thinking of getting Wimax, have very little options. Only other option is mobile broadband. Is it worth a try? What is downloading torrents like? Do they block them?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Obecny

Thinking of getting Wimax, have very little options. Only other option is mobile broadband. Is it worth a try? What is downloading torrents like? Do they block them?

It shouldn't be your option at all, totally rubbish, forget about torrents without vps
    Forget about sending an email with few photos it is almost impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Three don't throttle torrents (tried and tested that myself) but like all 3g/4g networks - there is no minimum quality to the connection itself could be terrible either way

• Advertisement

Three don't throttle torrents (tried and tested that myself) but like all 3g/4g networks - there is no minimum quality to the connection itself could be terrible either way

What was you connection like? I know it can be better in some areas but overall what was your speed like and were torrents a good speed. I don't download a lot but would like to be able to do some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

What was you connection like? I know it can be better in some areas but overall what was your speed like and were torrents a good speed. I don't download a lot but would like to be able to do some.

I am in a low contention area so its ok - it can vary from 1.5 mb to 9mb (real download speed at 9 mb bandwidth is 800kb per second plus) - this 9 mb is rare and three have very little 4g coverage at the moment so its just 3g here.

As for using a torrent client - ive had bit torrent report throughput of 1.2 mb per second download speed which is when my connection bandwidth is at 9 mb.

So at max capacity I can download a 700 mb file in 10 minutes but as I said 3g speeds are very unpredictable at times

Is imagine wimax as bad a three broadband.Is it worth getting?

Is imagine wimax as bad a three broadband.Is it worth getting?

That all depends on where you're located.

MrVestek wrote: »
    That all depends on where you're located.

Do you know if Carlow is a good area?

Is there anyway to find out where wimax transmitters are?

• Advertisement

I am going to order Wimax tomorrow. Is this a good Idea?

Advertisement