Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imagine launch Midband Ripwave Replacement - WiMAX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    @Cormie again

I forgot that many people have plugged their ripwaves into top floor bedrooms and run a network cable through the house to where they use the service .

That will no longer be possible when the dongle is powered by the computer itself and is no loger a free standing unit like a ripwave .

Fortunately I know :D that Imagine read this thread a lot and I strongly advise them to engage with Dovado who have a long running sticky going in this very forum so that an Imagine Wimax dongle can be plugged into a Dovado unit and the signal can be boosted across the customer premises on unlicenced wi-fi to where it is required.

I see no reason why Dovado would not be very interested ....had they a dongle and drivers to play with :D

This is a good point.

One of the advantages WiMAX offers over proprietary technologies like Ripwave is that there is a lot more CPE development. This should mean a lot more choice for people as to how they connect to WiMAX. This could include external antennas, home gateway, dongle or embedded chipsets. It could also include devices like cameras, game consoles etc....who knows.

At the moment imagine are replacing Ripwave units with Moto CPEi 775. This is an indoor gateway with Ethernet, Phone and WiFi connections, so the problem of sharing connectivty around a house or flat does not arise.

I understand the USB dongle will also be available as an option. Maybe this will also work with the Dovado unit as an alternative.

Marlow wrote: »
    I do disagree very much on that. You need more signal power due to the higher frequency to archieve the same, due to the longer travel-distance of the signal. It is after all .. microwaves.

More power means less users or more contention than it would have been at 2.6 GHz. Ergo affects performance.

/M

OK maybe I wasn't clear.

Consider a WiMAX customer on a 2.6GHz and a 3.5GHz network with the same signal strength (RSSI) and signal quality (C/I). Both of these customers will get the same performance.

However, if the customer is 1km on the 2.6GHz network, to get the same experience they would have to be about 0.8km away on the 3.5GHz network to account for increased signal loss at the higher frequency.

This is not a problem, provided the network is planned accordingly.

In urban areas this can actually be an advantage as it reduces interference for dense cells and increases the potential network capacity.

Remember, from early next year Intel will have 3.5GHz capability embedded in their WiMAX chipset, so they obviously don't see a problem at this frequency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jellies wrote: »
    Consider a WiMAX customer on a 2.6GHz and a 3.5GHz network with the same signal strength (RSSI) and signal quality (C/I). Both of these customers will get the same performance.

However, if the customer is 1km on the 2.6GHz network, to get the same experience they would have to be about 0.8km away on the 3.5GHz network to account for increased signal loss at the higher frequency.

This is not a problem, provided the network is planned accordingly.

My point on apples compared with apples. A lot more investment is required to archieve the same coverage. Sure there are advantages, but it requires, that the provider is willing to do so.
    Remember, from early next year Intel will have 3.5GHz capability embedded in their WiMAX chipset, so they obviously don't see a problem at this frequency.

Intel is responding to the market and what frequencies are available. They will have to cope with the issues that arise. If they see a problem with the frequency or not. It's a matter of demand and supply.

How well it works can only be seen, when a rollout is deployed with that specific hardware.

Until then, the only nomadic/mobile WiMAX deployments are Ripwave and Clearwire in Ireland. That's a fact. And proprietary, pre-WiMAX standard or not, they are all 802.16(x), so go under and marketed as WiMAX. You can not market a product as WiMAX and then years later say it's not.

/M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

At the moment imagine are replacing Ripwave units with Moto CPEi 775. This is an indoor gateway with Ethernet, Phone and WiFi connections, so the problem of sharing connectivty around a house or flat does not arise.

Thanks jellies , the Moto cpei is an all in one Dovado equivalent ( no dongle as the wimax is built in) but I understand they cost quite a lot right now . They would for equivalence sake replace BOTH of Cormies current windowsill gadgets with the one single gadget .

see http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/Business+Product+and+Services/Wireless+Broadband+Networks/WiMAX/wi4+WiMAX+Fixed+Devices/CPEi+775_US-EN

However I understand they currently cost about $400 each right now ( that will drop a lot next year ) and the dongle about half that . Get them while they are available yiz ripwavers reading this :)

Seeing as we have Jellies around I would like to know what VoIP number blocks are available and can I get more than one phone number mapped to each of these cpei 775 units by any chance ???

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

jor el wrote: »
    That was eircom Broadband Time, and I think Imagine were the only reseller to take up the wholesale option (mainly because it was sh*t). They did actually offer it for a while, but I don't think for very long. It should never have been called broadband either, as broadband is "always on", and 20 hours a month is far from always on.

Fool me once smae on you fool me twice shame on me...

They ars spreading out pre-launch waffle, probably in order to get some funding to actually pay for this launch. I suppect they want to be able to tell some unsuspecting investors that thay haev had 50,000 enquiries in the 1st week.

i wonder have they even bought the infrastructues and I suspect that when the funding does come in, the first thing that will be purchased is a couple of new cars for the lads.

We may never see this and certainly not in the less populated area. My are is supposed to be live but its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Into Everything

Well here we are. A week and a half after the "launch" and they still haven't/ can't or won't release the information about pricing and service. Ah well at least they can find time to update their facebook page every couple of hours. I've given up on this product. I'm just going to have to wait until eircom decides to upgrade my line in about 2030.

The facebook camaign is coming unstuck , see .

Meanwhile the morkeshing droids are twittering away like a canary with haemorrhoids ...as they do. This facebook/twitter crap is all rather counterproductive :p

imagineeurope

1. @fjsvasconcelos We're rolling out WiMax area by area.Check out imagine.ie for phase 1 of our roll out & register to get WiMax in your area!about 20 hours ago from web in reply to fjsvasconcelos
    2. @eoinosullivan Great! If you get everyone you know to register their interest on our website, then we'll get there sooner rather than later.about 22 hours ago from web in reply to eoinosullivan
    3. @conor_hackett We're taking a little time to ensure we offer the best pack to you. All details will be released soon so watch this space about 22 hours ago from web in reply to conor_hackett
    4. @AlexKirwan Hi Alex, we are rolling out WiMax across the country but to find out about your area give us a call on 1890 929 007 Thanks.9:36 AM Oct 26th from web in reply to AlexKirwan
    5. @Philip_Casey We can't disclose too much at the moment, but glad you are getting great service ;)6:08 AM Oct 25th from web in reply to Philip_Casey
    6. @Philip_Casey That's good to hear Philip, we are currently upgrading our network. What area are you living?3:38 AM Oct 25th from web in reply to Philip_Casey
    7. @smithalan2 Now that would be telling ;)2:09 PM Oct 24th from web in reply to smithalan2
    8. @maddog_dave So are we Thanks Dave.10:48 AM Oct 24th from web in reply to maddog_dave
    9. @mono42 We're taking a little extra time to ensure we offer the best possible value to u.All details will be released soon.Watch this space!10:43 AM Oct 24th from web in reply to mono42
    10. @smithalan2 Hi Alan, we think when you see the savings WiMax will give you, you will be very confident!10:40 AM Oct 24th from web in reply to smithalan2
    11. @dannylovestila Sounds like a great plan, thanks Danny 4:27 AM Oct 24th from web in reply to dannylovestila
    12. @maddog_dave We are being honest Dave 4:26 AM Oct 24th from web in reply to maddog_dave
    13. @dannylovestila We wish we could say,but at the moment we cant give away anything. All we can say is WiMax will save you money!3:47 AM Oct 24th from web in reply to dannylovestila
    14. @dannylovestila Thanks Danny. Thats quite a popular Q! We will keep you posted and will be releasing our prices soon 3:10 AM Oct 24th from web in reply to dannylovestila
    15. @davidcochrane If we could release them now we would! We are just putting the finishing touches to the packs but it will be soon 8:14 AM Oct 23rd from web in reply to davidcochrane
    16. @davidcochrane Thanks David, hope you like the billboards! As I mentioned already, all will be revealed soon ;)7:06 AM Oct 23rd from web in reply to davidcochrane
    17. @dkellyj Don't worry,it's not just hype! We will be releasing our packages soon & we think you will be impressed with the savings offered 7:02 AM Oct 23rd from web in reply to dkellyj
    18. @davidcochrane Thanks David,we are taking a little time to make sure we are giving everyone the best package out there, its coming soon!6:36 AM Oct 23rd from web in reply to davidcochrane
    19. @Mark_Coughlan Thanks Mark!!6:31 AM Oct 23rd from web in reply to Mark_Coughlan
    20. It's a bank holiday weekend in Ireland, enjoy the extra day everyone!5:57 AM Oct 23rd from web
    21. @tyrrelld Thanks for your interest As soon as we can!5:00 AM Oct 23rd from web in reply to tyrrelld
    22. @Philip_Casey It means standard call features PLUS some really cool phone functions. We are releasing our packages soon so watch this space!4:50 AM Oct 23rd from web in reply to Philip_Casey
    23. @GabaGaba_hey Thanks for your comment. As I mentioned before we are taking a little time to make sure we have the best possible offering 4:38 AM Oct 23rd from web in reply to GabaGaba_hey
    24. @danielhunt Hahaha thanks for your support Daniel!4:19 AM Oct 23rd from web in reply to danielhunt
    25. @tyrrelld Thanks for your comment, all will be revealed soon!4:17 AM Oct 23rd from web in reply to tyrrelld
    26. @BarryHand Thanks Barry,glad you like it! Google support WiMax all over the world so "Google it" was a perfect way to get our msg out there!4:14 AM Oct 23rd from web in reply to BarryHand
    27. @Irishtonyo No delay, we are just taking a little extra time to make sure we are giving our customers the best possible package 4:10 AM Oct 23rd from web in reply to Irishtonyo
    28. @Cofferon Great thanks We are working to bring bigger and better savings to everyone.4:08 AM Oct 23rd from web in reply to Cofferon
    29. @jamesgallagher Thanks James Our pricing will be revealed soon and we can guarantee it will be worth the wait.4:02 AM Oct 23rd from web in reply to jamesgallagher
    30. @danielhunt All will be revealed soon Daniel, watch this space!3:59 AM Oct 23rd from web in reply to danielhunt
    31. WiMax is backed by some of the biggest names in the industry. No line rental with an advanced phone & broadband service. Happy days L!7:09 AM Oct 22nd from web
    32. @dkellyj You can use whatever you like, we don't restrict access L!3:41 AM Oct 22nd from web
    33. @benarent ha very good. Did you register for WiMax @imagine.ie as i know you have been on it L!2:45 AM Oct 22nd from web
    34. @benarent that's great , who are you with ? L!2:36 AM Oct 22nd from web
    35. @starzandbellz You can stay with Breeze or switch to WiMax . Full details of products & pricing for WiMax will be up on imagine.ie soon L!1:10 AM Oct 22nd from web
    36. Pricing will be released soon. Just working on the finishing touches. We want it to be the very best L!12:07 PM Oct 21st from web
    37. @dannylovetila Like any dongle you will be able to use it where there is coverage L!12:04 PM Oct 21st from web
    38. @dannylovetila Like any dongle you will be able to use it where there is coverage12:03 PM Oct 21st from web
    39. @labaslietuva Pricing will be released soon. We are working to make sure it is the most competitive. It will be worth the wait L!12:00 PM Oct 21st from web
    40. Check out our imagine WiMax facebook page http://bit.ly/VwuD9 L!10:29 AM Oct 21st from web

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

The spectrum band used for any wireless network affects coverage. Agree with that.

But I cant see how it affects reliability or performance?

Reliability is generally dictated by things like the network design, and resilience of the kit.

Performance is a function of the techology itself. How well does it perform? What are the throughputs? What is the latency? etc. Not spectrum.

And....how is latency affected by frequency?
    c= f x l - i.e. speed through the air does not change with frequency. Latency would be dependent on the underlying technology, chipsets, backhaul nodes, interference etc. It's not affected by the spectrum band.

Ripwave and Clearwire also are not WiMAX. Totally different technology.

So, performance at 3.5GHz should be similar to the 2.6GHz band used in the states...provided you are in coverage. The user experience of the technology should also be very similar.

Do some investigation on QAM levels...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭newbuild06

When i first heard about this i thought great at last those of us who are unfortunate enough to live in an area with no broadband might finally be getting some broadband. However after reading this thread and following the launch of the imagine campaign its not looking too fruitful. Why is everything so secret about pricing ?
    Our only real option at the moment is 3 and that does not look the best, back to dial up again.

• Advertisement

newbuild06 wrote: »
    When i first heard about this i thought great at last those of us who are unfortunate enough to live in an area with no broadband might finally be getting some broadband. However after reading this thread and following the launch of the imagine campaign its not looking too fruitful. Why is everything so secret about pricing ?
    Our only real option at the moment is 3 and that does not look the best, back to dial up again.

Looking at the coverage stage 1 they aren't trying to cover areas that have no coverage. They are covering areas that have plenty of other broadband options.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Ripwave and Clearwire also are not WiMAX. Totally different technology.
    What technology/ies does Ripwave use and Clearwire use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yeah there's loads of choice in Dublin alright... That's why thousands of people have to use 3G modems in Dublin??? It's only "choice" if it's affordable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

flodis79 wrote: »

Clearwire uses MOTOwi4.
    Yeah there's loads of choice in Dublin alright... That's why thousands of people have to use 3G modems in Dublin??? It's only "choice" if it's affordable...

Most people just chose the cheapest, not out of necessity, but simply because it's cheap. I don't believe there are that many people forced to use 3G. If money was that tight, then they probably can't afford Internet access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Clearwire uses MOTOwi4.

Most people just chose the cheapest, not out of necessity, but simply because it's cheap. I don't believe there are that many people forced to use 3G. If money was that tight, then they probably can't afford Internet access.

Broadband is massively expensive in this country.

There is a reason we are the bottom of EU tables :(

Most people have the choice of maybe one or two providers in Dublin (bitstream or reselling eircom is basically one provider as eircom provide the line and the price is for the most part fixed).

Outside of that you have mobile for usually half the price of a standard broadband connection and many people renting who don't want to get locked into long term contracts with fixed solutions.

Mobile is just crap and needs to be regulated better or regulated in the first place. ATM my parents get suitable mobile speeds and they can now get eircom as the exchange is enabled but they are locked into contract with O2 until next June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

thebman wrote: »
    Broadband is massively expensive in this country.

There is a reason we are the bottom of EU tables :(

Most people have the choice of maybe one or two providers in Dublin (bitstream or reselling eircom is basically one provider as eircom provide the line and the price is for the most part fixed).

Outside of that you have mobile for usually half the price of a standard broadband connection and many people renting who don't want to get locked into long term contracts with fixed solutions.

Mobile is just crap and needs to be regulated better or regulated in the first place. ATM my parents get suitable mobile speeds and they can now get eircom as the exchange is enabled but they are locked into contract with O2 until next June.

We'll it's more like Dublin, Cork and large urban centres have multiple broadband providers i.e. eircom, cable, unbundled, Digiweb Metro etc

Then everyone else has eircom, or someone else reselling eircom and wireless if you are lucky.

Even within Dublin, Cork etc most eircom switches are not unbundled so it's only a minority of areas can access Smart, Magnet or BT/Vodafone unbundled service.

• Advertisement

"Clearwire Ireland Clearwire Ireland is a provider of reliable, wireless, high-speed broadband Internet service to consumers and small businesses. Clearwire is utilizing next-generation non-line-of-sight wireless NextNet technology which facilitates the connection of customers to the Internet using radio spectrum."

Clearwire Ireland uses NextNet technology. I don't knw too much about it, except this company was bought by Motorola and I would say the product line has probably been scrapped. In the states, Clear (www.clear.com) are now deploying WiMAX from various vendors including Motorola.

IBB also deployed an old version of Ripwave, based on a modulation scheme called S-CDMA. This is upgradable (in theory) to WiMAX, but Imagine are now scrapping this in favour of Motorola WiMAX kit. Ripwave can do about 2Mbps max to an indoor device. WiMAX is up at the 15-20Mbps level.

The only thing these have in common with WiMAX is that they are wireless broadband systems...thats about it.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I would like to know what VoIP number blocks are available and can I get more than one phone number mapped to each of these cpei 775 units by any chance ???

TIA

Its an inbuilt ATA, so should be technically possible to map >1 number to a port. Not sure how many tho.

jor el wrote:
    I disagree. A lot of people (speaking from the college student point of view here), simply need some form of internet access. They often would not be rolling around in money either. To meet both of those conditions, the cheapest/least strings attached option is the "only" option in a sense. Not explaining this well but if I think about it more, I'll explain better!

A lot of people (speaking from the college student point of view here), simply need some form of internet access.

True. But from a college student point of view, you should also be aware then, that in a lot of places, you don't have to worry about that anymore.

A lot of student accomodations (student villages etc.) come with broadband included in the rent now.

As for going for the cheapest. A lot of people that have basic needs always go for the cheapest, but often still look at value. So a lot of people ask, if 3G is a replacement for their broadband (if they have something else already) and most of'em would not go down the 3G route once the difference is explained to them, even though it's cheaper.

People that have a broadband requirement and knowledge often know, what they are buying and price then doesn't matter. Quality matters in those cases.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I disagree. A lot of people (speaking from the college student point of view here), simply need some form of internet access.

Ah, but students are a different demographic. Students have the added criteria of not usually being at the one address for a minimum contract period, so traditional broadband connections don't suit at all. In that case, the choice of cable/DSL/FWA is not a choice at all. For everyone else (the majority), that is, the home users and business users, minimum contract periods offer little problem, and there are choices.

Home users that chose 3G often do so because they don't know that it's not the same as DSL or cable. They believe the advertising, and only later realise they've been duped. If everyone knew what the differences were, I don't think there'd be nearly as many 3G users as there are. Those left with no actual choice would then have a much better quality of service too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Clearwire are trialling Wimax in Malaga right now, with a view to launching in Ireland in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

devnull wrote: »
    Clearwire are trialling Wimax in Malaga right now, with a view to launching in Ireland in the near future.

They might have an idea of their prices at this stage too....

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

I wouldn't be putting any money down on Cleawire in Europe for the foreseeable future...

Where's that German network eh ????

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Well they were saying the trials would happen last year in Spain but a year later and no much progress seems to have been made

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ImagineThat!

Well they were saying the trials would happen last year in Spain but a year later and no much progress seems to have been made

http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/wimax-demo-leo-lundy-imagine-cto/140997177

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Question:

I currently use NTL broadband, a lot of the time, if I need to check the net for something, instead of booting up the pc, I would just connect my iphone to the network via wifi...am I correct in saying that this wont be possible with WiMax?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Similar question (eh, assuming you are actually from Imagine?)..

Is the lap-top dongle all you need to connect, or does the dongle simply connect to the bigger 'home unit'?

If the dongle is optionally all you need, does the home unit then output a standard wi-fi signal (so cojomo2 can connect with his iPhone, etc.)?

(looks really good btw.. looking forward to sometime (we hope) seeing those price plans ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That's pretty impressive speeds alright. But is that not just because you have the big white transmitter in the room? Would home users be able to receive such signals miles away from the nearest mast?

Do the home unit and the dongle come together or is one for mobile package and the other for home?

Do I need the dongle connected to use wifi within my home?

If the pricing is on part with that of ripwave and the above questions get positive responses I think you'll have yourself a customer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

cormie wrote: »
    That's pretty impressive speeds alright. But is that not just because you have the big white transmitter in the room? Would home users be able to receive such signals miles away from the nearest mast?

Do the home unit and the dongle come together or is one for mobile package and the other for home?

Do I need the dongle connected to use wifi within my home?

If the pricing is on part with that of ripwave and the above questions get positive responses I think you'll have yourself a customer :)

I think it should be cheaper. We are paying silly money for broadband.
    A quick google shows that in the UK, you can get:

-10Meg Fibre optic broadband
    -Digital TV (over 45 channels)
    -Telephone service with unlimited weekend local calls

All for £14 or (15.64 Euro) per month....If we could get somewhere close to that it would be great. Link Below

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15157&buspart=buyat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

cormie wrote: »

If you put the old ripwave modem 6 feet from a mast with no one else in the entire country using it...you'd probably get the advertised "2 meg" speed!

of course I never did :D

The "cell" is less than 10 feet away from the dongle, of course it bloody works :(

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hammer of Thor

Thanks for the link, very interesting watch! I have 2 questions though -
    1 - The ping can be seen on 2 screens, one at 65ms and the other at 26ms, both very, very impressive given the average ping on 3G(but then as someone already pointed out the signal doesn't have far to go, whats it like over several kilometres?), but the ping is hidden during the live speed test, why?

2 - With blistering speeds for Ireland, 18mb down, 2.5mb up, are you gonna restrict our usage with ridiculous limits like you have done before with services like Ripwave? That 20gb usage thing was a farce, I got to download about 15 gigs of stuff a month, while the uploads pushed me to the limit, therefore restricting my speed to a crappy 100kbps. If you guys are gonna do that again I'll stick with Eircom, regardless of their prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Without pricing and availability dates this remains vapour ware.

As I have said before, show me real world tests.

I would like to draw your attention to this little video of 21Mbps on a HSPA Network.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQcKoHX1Pew

No one on here needs to be told how much a network of this type suffers outside the lab.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Similar question (eh, assuming you are actually from Imagine?)..

Is the lap-top dongle all you need to connect, or does the dongle simply connect to the bigger 'home unit'?

If the dongle is optionally all you need, does the home unit then output a standard wi-fi signal (so cojomo2 can connect with his iPhone, etc.)?

(looks really good btw.. looking forward to sometime (we hope) seeing those price plans ;))

Sorry to disappoint ye all, I dont have any answers for you, yes I do work for Imagine, but am not privy to any information yet either..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Yeeee haaaaaaaa

pic_cowboy.jpg

Ah, but students are a different demographic. Students have the added criteria of not usually being at the one address for a minimum contract period, so traditional broadband connections don't suit at all. In that case, the choice of cable/DSL/FWA is not a choice at all. For everyone else (the majority), that is, the home users and business users, minimum contract periods offer little problem, and there are choices.

Home users that chose 3G often do so because they don't know that it's not the same as DSL or cable. They believe the advertising, and only later realise they've been duped. If everyone knew what the differences were, I don't think there'd be nearly as many 3G users as there are. Those left with no actual choice would then have a much better quality of service too.
    Where are all these people who got 3G by choice instead of DSL/Cable broadband?? Of course students are a different demographic, and it's irrelevant in usage terms as they use the network like anyone else or more so. They're a very substantial part of the market if the advertising campaigns that they all carry out in Fresher's Weeks/information guides/hot press/sponsorship stuff are anything to go by. You can't leave them out for the sake of a good rant!!

Any employed adult I know who has one, got it via work or needs it for work (mobility) reasons.

There's no way you can claim that the majority of 3G internet users are people who "couldn't be bothered" etc to get proper broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Sorry to disappoint ye all, I dont have any answers for you, yes I do work for Imagine, but am not privy to any information yet either..

Why are you here then?

How come the laptop furthest away from the cell had the slowest speed? coincidence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Why are you here then?

How come the laptop furthest away from the cell had the slowest speed? coincidence?
    It was using a built in WiMAX receiver, rather than a dongle. Presumably the receiver itself (the new prototype built-in kind) isn't as powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Good God, you could get the same results with a cheapo 802.11G router if it were in the same room provided it had the same uplink as Imagine have in the same room!

Why I am Here? just because I work for Imagine does that preclude me from being here ? I don`t think so, at least I am honest enough to tell ye all where I work ! not like the Eircom and the likes guys on here and different other sites who like to think they have the right to slag off other companies, when they know they are going to be creamed by this new technology coming on stream to give people a new better alternative than is available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

Why I am Here? just because I work for Imagine does that preclude me from being here ? I don`t think so, at least I am honest enough to tell ye all where I work ! not like the Eircom and the likes guys on here and different other sites who like to think they have the right to slag off other companies, when they know they are going to be creamed by this new technology coming on stream to give people a new better alternative than is available

What technology. All i see from imagine is hot air.
    When did you say it was launching again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

If Imagine dont have the skills to put a simple price together, their new network with all the bells and whistles should be very interesting. :D
    I cant wait! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I didn't say you weren't aloud to post here and its not a requirement of boards.ie to declare who you work for.
    I'm wondering why you are here in this thread, the imagine wimax one. If you cant answer a couple of fairly basic questions about a product launched on the 14 October. I guess its just a coincidence.
    At least Eircom and the likes on here know what there selling.

Oh and I would absolutely love for you to cream Eircom, I have been hoping for someone to come along and do just that. Unfortunately if you do cream Eircom I suspect your service would be way too oversubscribed and really would turn to crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

when they know they are going to be creamed by this new technology coming on stream to give people a new better alternative than is available

Erm..What new technology..apart from one set up for a photoshoot ye've shown absolutely no figures nor equipment details...

here's me describing the new technology to a friend..take two empty cans and put a piece of string...:rolleyes:

Seriously,,sheesh. I heard of this new technology and thought wow..now I think Blah!.. Total BS from a company looking for free exposure.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Yes, but Clearwire has been active in Ireland for years, and as was said above, using pre-WiMAX technology MOTOwi4 for the BB in the box product.

I wonder, will they jump on the WiMAX train, and compete with Imagine?

We are *entitled* to slag off Imag!ne, the same company that thought 20 hours a month of 1 mbit DSL counted as true broadband. The only company who resold the disastrous product.

The same company which couldn't put up a functioning website for their new product for days, and then couldn't even put any info beyond a difficult to read coverage map??

The same company who have a coverage map but can't tell pricing or product launch dates or even technical details of their product?!

I think the only people in this forum who needs to google WiMax are Imag!ne employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

We are *entitled* to slag off Imag!ne, the same company that thought 20 hours a month of 1 mbit DSL counted as true broadband. The only company who resold the disastrous product.

The same company which couldn't put up a functioning website for their new product for days, and then couldn't even put any info beyond a difficult to read coverage map??

The same company who have a coverage map but can't tell pricing or product launch dates or even technical details of their product?!

I think the only people in this forum who needs to google WiMax are Imag!ne employees.

Their website still isnt functioning.
    It provides zero information about their product. Just lots of marketing BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

Geez, will you lot be patient?
    You're like a bunch of kids in the back seat of a car. You don't know how to drive, or where you're going.
    But you'll shout "Are we there yet" every 5 minutes.

The majority of people don't really care what WiMax is, who the equipment vendor is, or how the technology works. They're interested in the best deal for their money.
    By the sounds of it, they really are trying to make the pricing "just right".

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, because I believe in the technology they're using.
    Irish Broadband know how to build a network, and they already have tons of sites. Imagine bought Irish Broadband with this in mind.

I, personally, won't be moving straight to WiMax when they do start selling it. I'm quite happy with my Breeze connection.
    But I am interested in seeing where they go with this, and so is the rest of the telecoms market.

• Advertisement
Advertisement