Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seantor Eoghan Harris on Morning Ireland

Options
  • 14-10-2009 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

Sen Eoghan Harris is to be on Morning Ireland this morning defending John O'Donoghue. Can I be sick now please. Harris is a Taoiseach's nominee to the Seanad and has a compunction to defend the worst of Fianna Fail excess/incompetence.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yet another reason then to close the Seanad!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Just listened to the councillor. Another ass. Although i have to say its honourable of them to defend they party partners.

There always was honour amound theives!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

He's an annoying windbag, but also clearly an intelligent and articulate man. But from his public pronouncement (Late Late show etc), it's clear that he serves no useful purpose, except to blindly defend the government. He's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

donaghs wrote: »
    He's an annoying windbag, but also clearly an intelligent and articulate man. But from his public pronouncement (Late Late show etc), it's clear that he serves no useful purpose, except to blindly defend the government. He's a disgrace.
    you should read his column:D. "I thought it was one of the best speeches I ever heard" says Harris.:eek:
    Harris has just referenced Talleyrand, the RIC and Dick Spring in 30 seconds. He's all over the place as usual, a little entertaining none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

himself and senetor Donny Cassidy are 2 reasons alone that the Seanad should cease to exist...actually you can add Ivor Callelly to that!

suprised after all his great service to the irish racing industry that our countries top trainers & jockeys were not taking to the airways in defence of the bull (sh1tter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

He has been very funny. He actually said that labour would not have done anything if sinn fein did not push them into it. It reminds me of the school boy

"He made me do it" rubbish.

bamboozle wrote: »
    himself and senetor Donny Cassidy are 2 reasons alone that the Seanad should cease to exist...actually you can add Ivor Callelly to that!

suprised after all his great service to the irish racing industry that our countries top trainers & jockeys were not taking to the airways in defence of the bull (sh1tter)
    *tongue in cheek* ah leave Ivor alone, he's enough trouble with his boat (refer Evening Herald). I have to agree with you. There are some effective senators in the Seanad though.

He has been very funny. He actually said that labour would not have done anything if sinn fein did not push them into it. It reminds me of the school boy

Labour being pushed around by Sinn Féin. Distract and mislead is Harris' ploy as usual. Yeah of course Labour are running scared of Sinn Féin, not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Ah this bloke makes me laugh. Whenever the FF party needs an apologist he gets rolled out.

The sooner TD's cut 'all' their damned expenses. They get well paid and any 'extras' they want should be sorted from their own pocket. I'm fed up paying for TD's hairdos!

Riv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

To be fair he stated all TD/Senator salaries should be cut 25% and that the whole system of expenses should be reformed rather than lusting after individual heads on sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Ah yeah but 25% is not nearly enough ... make it 50% to 60% and then I'll listen .... the combination of salary and unvouched expenses means that politicians earn an insane level of remuneration.

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

harris the whinging geebag is one of the greatest reasons the Seanad should be abolished or at least severly overhualed.

People like him were never elected, but were rewarded for servics performed on behalf of the party or more correctly in this instance on behalf of bertie sleeveen.

The Seanad has a few good senators, Shane Ross being probably head ans hsould er above the rest of the party hacks.
    Apart from that the other notables would be Norris and Quinn.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Biggins wrote: »

Reformed perhaps, but the whole upper house should not be closed down on account of Eoghan Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Heard that fool Noel Ahern defending O'Donoghue on Newstalk this morning
    he actually had the cheek to say we were only copying the Uk by forcing out the chair . My god to come out publicly with such crap this man is as deluded if not more so than his triple jobbing bro.

mike65 wrote: »
    To be fair he stated all TD/Senator salaries should be cut 25% and that the whole system of expenses should be reformed rather than lusting after individual heads on sticks.

Of course he is right. But maybe we can do both - reform the expenses and get a few heads on sticks.

The whole expenses row is very convenient for journalists. Its far easier to write sensationalist articles on expense than actually analysis and comment upon the where they believe the €4billion worth of savings should be made in next months budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

But on a serious note, this is what is passing for effective and meaningful governance at the moment. We're wondering why the country is in the toilet and we need look no further than JOD and the other wasters like him who are p*ssed stupid on expenses and entitlement. These guys genuinely believe that they are entitled to this level of extravagance and renumeration.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Reformed perhaps, but the whole upper house should not be closed down on account of Eoghan Harris.
    No, not just because of him - but the whole useless bunch.
    Its a waste of financial resources that is no longer need.
    What practicable use does it now serve daily for the money it costs to keep its doors open!

No, not just because of him - but the whole useless bunch.
    Its a waste of financial resources that is no longer need.
    What practicable use does it now serve daily for the money it costs to keep its doors open!

It provides a second oversight of legislation coming through the Oireachtas. They help iron out quirks in legislation. One example a few years back is the banning of opinion polls the 2 days before an election. Its was spotted in the Seanad that there was nothing to stop paper published a poll on the day of the election. The legislation was amended accordingly. The Seanad can also propose legislation (aside form Money Bills) that is brought into the Dail.

We have had some excellent Senator down through the years. David Norris, Shane Ross, Joe O’Toole and Mary Robinson spring to mind. It needs certainly needs reform but in principal it is a sound idea. Do you know how much it actually costs by the way?

Are their any modern democracies in the world that do not have an upper house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Dear Mr Harris - O'Donoghue was caught! He's gone - Now Fkuc Off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

juuge wrote: »
    Dear Mr Harris - O'Donoghue was caught! He's gone - Now Fkuc Off!

Well he is standing for election again and is likely to romp home. He may be gone for now but like Arnie he'll be back. He is the next Beverly Cooper Flynn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Abolish the Taoiseach's nominees, the senate should not be a reward for FF has beens that loose their seats in a general election.

I've no doubt we will see Mr Donaghue in there some day.
    A reward for keeping his mouth shut maybe for not spilling the beans about others and their expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

kmick wrote: »
    Well he is standing for election again and is likely to romp home. He may be gone for now but like Arnie he'll be back. He is the next Beverly Cooper Flynn.

Unfortunately he's NOT actually "gone for now", is he ? I mean, isn't he now an "ordinary" TD - like Ahern & Cooper-Flynn ?

And unfortunately, given the way FF operates, if Kerrymen do live up to it's stereotype reputation as a "joke", FF will probably reward them for their - ahem - "loyalty to de party :mad:" with ministerial position.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,026 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That is actually a very good point that got little airtime. It was actually Sinn Fein who started the ball rolling on the resignation issue. Gilmore then jumped in and took over and got all the credit. But it was SF who first called for him to GO!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

walshb wrote: »
    That is actually a very good point that got little airtime. It was actually Sinn Fein who started the ball rolling on the resignation issue. Gilmore then jumped in and took over and got all the credit. But it was SF who first called for him to GO!

About the only decent point the Kerry County Councillor on Morning Ireland today made was that this is the same Sinn Fein who milked the British Parliamentary second-home expenses system for nearly £500,000. I wonder why they took a back seat once they got the 'O' Donoghue out' ball rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

imme wrote: »
    Sen Eoghan Harris is to be on Morning Ireland this morning defending John O'Donoghue. Can I be sick now please. Harris is a Taoiseach's nominee to the Seanad and has a compunction to defend the worst of Fianna Fail excess/incompetence.
    I stopped listening to that moron long time ago.

walshb wrote: »
    nobody listens to SF thankfully. I doubt Gilmore was following SF's lead.

wasper wrote: »
    I stopped listening to that moron long time ago.
    he can be entertaining, I know that's not what he's being paid for though, like the time he was talking about Síle DeValera and was talking about her porcelain complexion. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Oh my God, this makes me so sick! The Seanad should have been abolished decades ago. The fact that this Harris nutjob was appointed to it by Patrick Bartholomew Ahern as a thank you for ranting in his favour on the Late Late was a simple two fingers to the population from that Ahern person.

How apt that this Harris individual is "earning" his pay by defending yet more corruption, as he himself gets €100,000 in salary and expenses in his role as parasite/Senator in that pointless - utterly pointless - entity, made infinitely more pointless by his appointment to it. Lest we all forget, according to Mary McAleese it was Eoghan Harris and John Cadden who were in effect in control of RTÉ in the 1970s. His role there was marked by censoring his opponents and giving jobs to his supporters. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Disgusting to think of him feigning moral superiority over everybody for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Are their any modern democracies in the world that do not have an upper house?

Loads! A quick google of 'unicameralism' has this list of unicameral legislatures which are formed on a national basis (from wikipedia):

National

Go here for a list of non-national unicameral legislatures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicameralism

I'm surprised at you on this, eurokraut. The work you mention which Seanad Éireann is doing is largely a duplication of the committee system, which itself was imported from the German system in the late 1960s and 1970s. This fact is rarely highlighted. Despite its failings and excesses, the committee system has a valuable role in society. Seanad Éireann does not. It is almost entirely a home for failed and rejected politicians, a place to reward people who have kept the party line or sided with particular people.

Advertisement