Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best use of violins in non-classical music

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭kryptyk500

I like Echo and the Bunnymen's 'Ocean Rain' album for its strings, especially The Killing Moon. The cello on the Nirvana unplugged album sounds great - the version of Dumb is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Davao8000

dEUS - suds & soda

Violin just fits right in so well...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

ELO : Out of the blue the entire album.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Kid V wrote: »
    Ye he arranges them. Very few bands can do it on their own without outside help

Pallett's a busy lad, he's arranged for an awful lot of bands. He was the best thing about many of their albums, too - Last Shadow Puppets, I'm looking at you.

I have a sneaking suspicion his own next album is going to be one of the best of next year, too. He's also let it be known that he's just finished work on Arcade Fire's third one, but alas, he doesn't play onstage with them anymore except on very special occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Probably not a very well known song but I love the subtle use of violins in 'About Today' by The National. Great song. Check it out here:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

^I love you.

Exquisite string arrangement on this song, nice and eerie, especially love the strings from 2:30 to about 2:50:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

anyone for bluebells young at heat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

The dutch band After Forever are amazing and have some great violin parts in their songs. Have a listen to this, it's fairly whopper.

Advertisement