Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB drive permissions unable to be determined

• 14-10-2009 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi guys,

As the title says, whenever i try to transfer files from my desktop to my USB hard drive, it tells me:

Error opening file '/media/disk-1/4276.jpg': Read-only file system

So when I go into the properties of the device it says the permissions are unable to be determined

I'm not sure what I can do. It seems to let me transfer off my sisters windows based laptop

Any advice would be appreciated

PS. Using Ubuntu by the way

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Not sure if it's the same thing but occasionally USB keys and SD cards that I mount in Xubuntu can become read-only if they are unmounted incorrectly.

The solution that works for me is to connect them to a Windows PC *cough* and run chkdsk on them.
    I haven't used that solution with a USB hard drive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 anfirrua

What is the filesystem of your external harddrive?
    My guess is that it is NTFS and you do not have NTFS write enabled for your distro
    Get a root prompt and type
    'fdisk -l' while drive is attached and it should reply back with what filesytem it is.
    If it is NTFS and you want to write to NTFS(insert NTFS linux write warning here) then do a quick google with your distro name and NTFS write

Advertisement