Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surge protect Electrical/Electronic Induction Hob

Options
  • 14-10-2009 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an induction hob detailed below. I've read online that such hobs are prone to power surges and would like to protect it from future failures as it seems when the electronic boards go, they are uneconomical to repair.

Can anybody advise me as to what sort of product I'm looking for? Note that I've also seen this recent thread which may be an alternative option?

AEG 78001 KF:
    * Elements: 4
    * Boosted: 4
    * Powers:
    · 2.3 kW (boost to 3.2 kW) - left front, 210-mm diameter
    · 2.3 kW (boost to 3.2 kW) - left back, 210-mm diameter
    · 2.3 kW (boost to 3.2 kW) - right front, 210-mm diameter
    · 2.3 kW (boost to 3.2 kW) - right back, 210-mm diameter
    * Max Power: 7.4 kW = 80% [uses "power sharing"]

Thanks

W.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭LeBash

If you go to www.phoenixcontact.ie and search through thier product range called "Trabtech" and input all the details, the unit that is best suited to the job will appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

I've never heard of these hobs being prone to surges.

However I recommend DEHN (www.dehn.de) for surge protection.
    They have a distributor in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

If you look at this link, somebody mentions the hob error after a power cut.

In our case, the trip switch went on another circuit, and it cause the blue switch on the fuse board to flip (sorry don't know the correct terminology but I hope you understand). When we re-enabled the blue switch, and subsequently went to use the hob we had this error.

Note the hob wasnt on at the time of the trip. So would this imply a power surge?

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Don't know whether they are particularly sensitive to surge, but some older AEG induction hobs had a tendency to fail (burnt out circuit board) which then showed up as E3 after power was restored.
    No mention of power surges.

Link to German forum (google translate)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

What was the "error" after you switched on the hob ?

FYI

If you install one of the DEHN units (ABB have similar) in your distribution board you will protect all the circuits in your house.

There are 3 types according to EN 61643-11.
    Type 1 - Direct Lightning current 10/350us waveform
    Type 2- Surge current 8/20us waveform (Indirect Lightning)
    Type 3 - Protection against switching overvoltages

Type 2 will be sufficient for residential.
    Some vendors can supply combined Type 1 & Type 2 co-ordinated protection.

Function: Type 2 SPDs are surge arresters. They can handle energy from distant/ indirect lightning strikes or from switching operations. Type 2 SPDs can not discharge high energies from direct lightning like Type 1
    SPDs but they feature lower protection level (Up). They are recommended at the incoming of installation for locations with no exposure to direct lightning impulses.
    Application: residential, commercial, industrial
    Standard: IEC 61643-1 / EN 61643-11
    8/20 current wave, varistor technology.

Try DEHNguard® T from DEHN or ABB OVR range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've a de Dietrich induction hob, it's heavily electronic with touch controls etc. It's approaching 11 years old and has been working in Cork City without a single glitch in all that time.

It still looks like new, despite being used heavily every day.

It's also worth bearing in mind that sometimes people in the UK tend to have more problems with surges than we do.

The original British specification was 240V 50Hz while the rest of Europe, including Ireland was 220V 50Hz.

Nominally, the voltage is now harmonised to 230V 50Hz, but in reality you will find that most supplies are still the original 220V or 240V.

A surge on a 220V system might hit 250V, a surge on a 240V system might hit 270V.

The vast majority of appliances are designed with continental European / Irish 220-230V in mind, and while they will work fine in the UK, there is a risk that if a British power supply surges, it will surge to beyond the maximum tolerance of some sensitive equipment.

I have noticed that the UK tends to suffer from blown PCB boards in washing machines, dishwashers, ovens etc way more than we do.

To be quite honest, I wouldn't worry too much about it and just wire it in.

Voltages in Ireland, particularly in urban (even small villages) are pretty stable.

Voltage problems here tend to be confined to rural areas, and tend to be caused by excessively low voltage rather than spikes e.g. in remote farms with very long service lines, or under capacity local tranformers.

If you're aware of specific voltage problems in your home, perhaps take precautions, but otherwise, I don't really think it's all that necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Don't know whether they are particularly sensitive to surge, but some older AEG induction hobs had a tendency to fail (burnt out circuit board) which then showed up as E3 after power was restored.
    No mention of power surges.

Link to German forum (google translate)

So what caused the board to burn out? I'm not saying it was a surge (as I'm just a lay person!!) but IMHO it was more than just a coincidence that 5 mins after the trip switch going, the wife went to turn the hob on and we got the E3 error?

The problem has been fixed under warranty, but I'm worried about it happening again outside warranty?

Thanks
    W.

Advertisement