Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance quote(123.ie)

Options
  • 14-10-2009 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone here use 123.ie for home insurance and noticed increased qoutes on renewal?

Ive been with them for approx 2 years and paying somewhere between 300 and 350 euro.
    Got a renewal quote yesterday for the price of 590 euro!
    We claimed for 1200euro due to storm damage in July which would warrant a small increase, but...
    I've checked around other companies and got cheaper, so no problem there.
    Put my details into 123's website as a new customer with 0 years ncb and got a quote of 385.
    They didnt quote me from Eagle/Zurich either, which I thought they were tied to?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How is this a consumer issue?

Nobody forces you to go with 123.ie and you can get it cheaper elsewhere so why don't you? :)

You'd be foolish to pay more then you have to after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Cabaal wrote: »
    How is this a consumer issue?

Nobody forces you to go with 123.ie and you can get it cheaper elsewhere so why don't you? :)

You'd be foolish to pay more then you have to after all.

I didn't say I was going to pay more than I had to, or that I thought I was forced to use 123.ie.
    In my opinion it is a consumer issue, as if nothing else it shows other consumers of Insurance to shop around and/or return to their current insurance company to question them.
    After several e-mails and a phone call, I have now managed to get the quote down to 365euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

fair play OP for taking action and getting the price down. So many people moan and complain here for being ripped off (and no one questions whether it's a consumer issue or not) without doing anything about it.

I think insurance in general is on the up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

At the beginning of June this year there was a levy introduced on insurance, this may be what you are seeing, I insured my car in May and was ok but my father in law insured in June and the levy was included in his renewal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

If the OP hadn't questioned the €590 quote & just gone ahead & payed it, they would have been at a loss of €225.

Kind of poses the question why didn't the company quote them €365 to begin with, & was the OP being ripped off?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dobsdave wrote: »
    In my opinion it is a consumer issue, as if nothing else it shows other consumers of Insurance to shop around and/or return to their current insurance company to question them.

Thing is its not a consumer issue, a consumer has really one major responsibility that they must do when buying a product or service and that is to shop around for the best price.

This basic task is something the consumer agency has been telling people for years, if however a consumer is too foolish to shop around then thats 100% their fault if they choose to pay a higher price.

They can't blame the company that charged the higher price and its not in anyway a consumer issue in fairness :)

Advertisement