Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

{report} More than half of cot deaths occur when babies sleep with parent

Options
  • 14-10-2009 10:12am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭

MORE than half of cot deaths take place when a baby is sleeping with a parent – and many of these parents are smokers or had been drinking or taking drugs, a study reveals.

Cot deaths in this country have fallen to 0.4 per 1,000 compared to an average of 30 per year in the 1980s, according to the National Sudden Infant Death Register.

However, experts are now advising parents to avoid sleeping with their baby if they have taken drugs, drank or are a smoker, so these deaths can be reduced even further.

They have warned that while some parents are aware of the dangers of taking a newborn into bed, new research shows that falling asleep on an armchair with a baby can be 25 times more dangerous. It’s believed that alcohol and drugs can impair parents’ ability to wake up, while it is feared that smoking during pregnancy can make the newborn more vulnerable.

A team of researchers at Bristol and Warwick universities, studied all unexpected infant deaths – aged from birth to two years old – in the south-west of England from January 2003 to December 2006.

To investigate a possible link between cot death and socio-economic deprivation, they compared a randomly selected control group from these figures with a particular cohort whose mothers were young, socially deprived and who smoked. Parents were interviewed shortly after the death and information was collated on alcohol and drug use.

Much of the co-sleeping risk may be explained by the combination of parental alcohol or drug use prior to co-sleeping. Of those who suffered cot deaths, 31% had been indulging in such behaviour compared to 3% of the control group. And while many mothers think it is safer to sit on a sofa rather than sleep in bed, 17% had fallen asleep with their child on a sofa.

A fifth of cot death infants were found with a pillow and a quarter were swaddled, suggesting potentially new risk factors emerging.

The authors pointed out that it was still difficult to say that co-sleeping should be stopped as its is the parental habits of alcohol, smoking and drug taking that increase the risk significantly.

The safest place for an infant to sleep is in a cot beside the parental bed in the first six months of life, the study published on bmj.com said.

A spokeswoman for the Sudden Infant Death Register in Ireland said the issue of co-sleeping has to be approached with caution as many breastfeeding parents sleep with their infants and they don’t want to discourage breastfeeding. "However, if you are a smoker, even if you don’t smoke in bed, have drank alcohol or taken drugs, you should not fall asleep with your child."

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfaumhcweyoj/rss2/#ixzz0TtqJgHV2

There's a lot of media coverage, but does anyone have a link to the actual report?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I don't know of any who co slept who was stupid enough to have the child in the bed when either parent had been drinking or was on medication.
    A team of researchers at Bristol and Warwick universities, studied all unexpected infant deaths – aged from birth to two years old – in the south-west of England from January 2003 to December 2006.

To investigate a possible link between cot death and socio-economic deprivation, they compared a randomly selected control group from these figures with a particular cohort whose mothers were young, socially deprived and who smoked. Parents were interviewed shortly after the death and information was collated on alcohol and drug use.

Much of the co-sleeping risk may be explained by the combination of parental alcohol or drug use prior to co-sleeping. Of those who suffered cot deaths, 31% had been indulging in such behaviour compared to 3% of the control group. And while many mothers think it is safer to sit on a sofa rather than sleep in bed, 17% had fallen asleep with their child on a sofa.

A fifth of cot death infants were found with a pillow and a quarter were swaddled, suggesting potentially new risk factors emerging.

The authors pointed out that it was still difficult to say that co-sleeping should be stopped as its is the parental habits of alcohol, smoking and drug taking that increase the risk significantly.

So cos idiots who don't know better did stupid things which resulted in the loss of their baby, co sleeping should be stopped by all parents? Rubbish.

And while this may sound harsh that looks like Darwinism they were too stupid, unaware, didn't care enough to educate themselves and the baby died.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Thaedydal wrote: »
    So cos idiots who don't know better did stupid things which resulted in the loss of their baby, co sleeping should be stopped by all parents? Rubbish.

Phew, it's not just me that thought this!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

The title of the piece is "Cot deaths linked to co-sleeping" and it should have been "Cot deaths linked to drink and drug use".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

The title of the piece is "Cot deaths linked to co-sleeping" and it should have been "Cot deaths linked drink and drug use".

I think this is more of an eye catcher;)

Baby deaths linked to drink and drug use

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

When this kind of stuff is reported it's done in a way to frighten as many people as possible, thus linking it to the baby being in the bed and not the actual most likely cause, substance useage.

I saw this scroll past at the bottom of a news channel this morning and I was disgusted tbh. It's like the one they had a few months back linking learning difficulties to mothers working outside the home. Ridiculous.

It also annoys me that breastfeeding is almost reliant on co-sleeping in the early days and this is yet another thing that will put parents off breastfeeding, probably one of the number 1 things you can do to limit the risks of cot death.

Fecking hate the way the media reports scientific studies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

"MORE than half of cot deaths take place when a baby is sleeping with a parent "

so, 51%, 52%, 53%?

and the other 49%, 48%? - they're asleep in cots. its not called COTdeath for no reason.

this report is sensationalist bullpoop.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

KylieWyley wrote: »
    "MORE than half of cot deaths take place when a baby is sleeping with a parent "

so, 51%, 52%, 53%?

and the other 49%, 48%? - they're asleep in cots. its not called COTdeath for no reason.

Well in fairness, I'd imagine fewer babies co-sleep than don't, so more than 50% does seem significant when given the bare figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There really isn't enough information in the article to draw any particular conclusions except about drink & drug use.
    Well in fairness, I'd imagine fewer babies co-sleep than don't, so more than 50% does seem significant when given the bare figures.
    See, this raises another question. One would assume that there are no children who co-sleep *all* the time, so what is the link between co-sleeping and drink and drug use?

Is the child more likely to co-sleep when drink and drugs are involved? I can easily see a scenario where a crying child wakes someone up after a night on the beer, they're still pissed but now their head is hurting and they feel sick, so they pick the child up, lie down on the bed and fall asleep without properly putting the child to sleep and disaster.

So with that in mind, though 50% is a huge figure, is co-sleeping itself inherently dangerous or is it only when other factors come into play, which may also *cause* co-sleeping to occur? This is why newspaper articles are often ill-reported and irresponsible.

For example, if you segregate the drinking parent (have them sleep in another room while the sober parent sleeps in the room with the child), does co-sleeping still present the same risk as when the drinking parent is sleeping in the same room as the child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

"and the other 49%, 48%? - they're asleep in cots. its not called COTdeath for no reason.

Cot death is just a nickname for SIDS, only in use in a few countries. Just because the child isn't sleeping in a cot /by themselves doesn't mean it can't occur.

Personally, I would never have co-slept. I don't oppose it though - except with drink/medication taken, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

seamus wrote: »
    One would assume that there are no children who co-sleep *all* the time, so what is the link between co-sleeping and drink and drug use?

I know a few people who have co-slept with their child from birth, all the time.

What worries me about that article is that it states that some of the babies were swaddled, isn't there studies to show that swaddling decreases the risk of SIDS in children? Or is it just co-sleeping and swaddling together that may increase the risk??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Co-sleeping & swaddling at the same time is a bad idea as it can increase the baby's body temperature. They can't cast off a blanket if they get too hot and are swaddled. An increase in body temperature is linked to SIDS.

There are also studies that prove the co-sleeping is good for breastfeeding, regulation of breathing and heartbeat etc, etc.

The headlines are sensationalist today imho and I will be taking it with a pinch of salt.

*Note I coslept for the first 6 months approx. It was essential as the baby had bad reflux. If he hadn't been cosleeping with me he could have choked on at least one occasion because I wouldn't have been able to get to him in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eimsRV

My sister sent me an email this morning about this which said the study was published by BMJ.com. Not sure if this is what you are looking for dyflin.
    The link is http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/339/oct13_1/b3666

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I just read it there & it refers to children co-sleeping in "hazardous" environments" who are at risk. NOT children who co-sleep in general. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My mother just rang me, She heard this report on the news and is very concerned because my baby has co slept with us from day one.

I am glad I had read this thread and was able to explain to her that the reoport was sensationalised on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

so, 51%, 52%, 53%?

Stop being so flippant on a serious issue.
    The journalists have the wrong spin. However, co-sleeping (without drink/drugs) is still a risk factor.

If someone is overhot (baby or adult), it is difficult to wake up. If baby is too cold they will wake. So don't overheat baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I don't know of any who co slept who was stupid enough to have the child in the bed when either parent had been drinking or was on medication.

And while this may sound harsh that looks like Darwinism they were too stupid, unaware, didn't care enough to educate themselves and the baby died.
    Dyflin wrote: »
    Phew, it's not just me that thought this!

+1. My son stays in his cot until about 6.30am, he naturally wakes then and I bring him into my double bed (which I dont share with his dad, as we like having separate rooms) I use one pillow to make sure he cant roll off and I use myself as the other barricade. I take only about 1ft while he takes the other 3ft (1ft is pillow protection) I seldom drink and do not smoke, I lie him on the duvet so he cannot crawl under it. I do not swaddle him, he has a baby sleeping bag, I make sure the bed does not have anything that could injure him on it, and I have never used illegal substances. So I have no reason to believe that my son is in any great danger. He wakes again at 7.30-8 for his bottle and is up for the day. Hardly life threathening!

I truly believe a good parent can have a good social life but can also consider their childs habits and routine. I do not go out often, but when I do and I have to go home to my son I do NOT do anything that could risk him. I will only drink if he is staying at his nana's. All parents have to use their heads and if they put substance abuse over the care of their children they should be put in jail.

Half of them only have the child in bed with them when they are in that state so they can be lazy in the morning and not have to get up to deal with the child/hangover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Victor wrote: »
    Stop being so flippant on a serious issue.

The journalists have the wrong spin. However, co-sleeping (without drink/drugs) is still a risk factor.

If someone is overhot (baby or adult), it is difficult to wake up. If baby is too cold they will wake. So don't overheat baby.

Then it is not really a co-sleeping problem either. It is overheating problem. You can overheat a baby even if he sleeps in a completely different room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Soooo 80% of the babies weren't found with a pillow, and 75% of the babies weren't swaddled? Exactly what new risk factors are emerging? :rolleyes:

The whole article seems badly researched and poorly written.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Missed this when it was first posted. Complete and utter bollix imo. Smothering is not a cot death. A cot death is an unexplained death - usually of a young child. A parent rolling over on top of a child for whatever reason is not a cot death - sad yes, but not SIDS. Bull**** article carried out by a pseudo-scientist who just wanted his name in the papers and didn't give a $hite about this crazy thing called actual truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

I dont personally practice co sleeping with my little one but I suppose some people have been doing it for years and will tell you they never had any problems. I think cot death to some extent is something sceintists will never fully understand. Theres always that small percentage with no explanation.

Advertisement