Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving property after a week

Options
  • 14-10-2009 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I sort of moved in to a place last Thursday, by sort of I mean I took down a few bits of clothes, cosmetics and bought a bit of food. I picked up the key a week before hand but there was no heating in the house so I decided to go home at night. I stayed in the house for the first time last Thursday and stayed last night, so two nights in all. I've used the shower twice, boiled the kettle a few times, used the cooker once, watched the TV for about an hour, that's the overall usage. The house owner hasn't been around to give him money (i didn't want to leave it lying around) so I've not paid rent yet or given a deposit. There is still no heating in the house and for the price I think I could do better.
    Anyway last night I viewed a flat that my sister wants to take a lease out on for the year. It's a great place and a bit dearer than the place I'm in now. We're going to take this other place but I'm wondering what do I owe the owner of the house now? I'm going to pay him a week's rent (he said he'd take rent from last Friday as a starting point) but saying as I didn't give a deposit and I've only been in it two nights I don't know whether I would actually need to give him notice. He has another room to rent in the house and is in no hurry to get people in. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you didn't sign anything, you don't have to give him notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'd pay your weeks rent, and add a little for the usage of electricity, not too much though, give him a call to let him know and just leave. If he's not bothered about having things above board and covering himself then I wouldn't worry too much about it. You cant be expected to live in a place that doesnt provide any heating anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Who ever gives over keys without deposit is seriously stupid. I think you should pay the week and about a €10 for services used if anything.

When you say there was no heating do you mean it doesn't exist? I have had people say there was no heating in a place when they didn't know how to use the heating system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Who ever gives over keys without deposit is seriously stupid. I think you should pay the week and about a €10 for services used if anything.
    When you say there was no heating do you mean it doesn't exist? I have had people say there was no heating in a place when they didn't know how to use the heating system

I've left the key and paid the week and gave a bit extra for use of amenities.
    The heating doesn't work at all, even the owner can't get it to work. It's on the wall and has been installed by a builder but it isn't working and the owner has tried calling the builder but no answer. This has been the case for over a month. On top of that there is a window on the landing that doesn't close and lets cold air in and the bathroom doesn't close properly or lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

fifomania wrote: »
    I've left the key and paid the week and gave a bit extra for use of amenities.
    The heating doesn't work at all, even the owner can't get it to work. It's on the wall and has been installed by a builder but it isn't working and the owner has tried calling the builder but no answer. This has been the case for over a month. On top of that there is a window on the landing that doesn't close and lets cold air in and the bathroom doesn't close properly or lock.

I think you're well off out of there :)

Good luck in the new place!

• Advertisement
Advertisement