Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4G discussion on Pat Kennys radio show today

Options
  • 14-10-2009 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up for them who are interested, a chat (dunno who with - Ryan?) about the promise of broadband for all via 4G network sometime after the Ahern interview and before midday.

www.rte.ie/radio1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

cant access the site :rolleyes: must be getting too many hits.
    rte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its on now!

'Imagine' head honcho is interviewed with somone from INTEL.

Promising price reductions of 50%, 50% of what I missed. X8 speed of what?

This feature needs an independent voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

Promising price reductions of 50%, 50% of what I missed. X8 speed of what?

no prices or speed ratings on their site. what a load of hype over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Wimax IS NOT 4G?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Going on reports from the launch today (via adrianweckler on twitter),

8mbs is the speed being offered. 17mbs is possible. (likely waiting to gauge supply/demand of the 8mb package?)

They've got enough spectrum to deliver future Wimax speeds of 40, 60, 100mbs.

Dublin, Athlone, Wexford, Sligo first to be covered by Wimax.

They're using the Irish Broadband spectrum allocations, so it'll be available where IB is now, and then some (rollout is incremental.. new spots added each month)

WiMax will be built into new laptops (says Intel boss) - so connect straight to your personal Internet account without the need for wires, dongles or extra device ( == pretty cool!).

Haven't heard any word on price (to be released on Monday, I assume), but I'd expect a saving on current comparable (i.e. 8mb) packages. I'd be doubtful of 50% savings, but we'll see.

Quite exciting tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement