Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming keyboard & mouse

Options
  • 14-10-2009 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for a gaming keyboard and mouse? It's for a young fella with a well spec'd gaming pc but who is using a pretty rubbish old keyboard/mouse.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Not to be smart but it's a pretty open ended question and like buying a car, not all are the same. :)

Atm the most popular mice seem to be the Logitech G5, Logitech MX518 or the Razer Death Adder. I use the later because it fit my hand better but the other 2 have a great following.

Logitech G15 is a popular one but a bit over priced. There's a dell keyboard that seems to be pretty popular as well but can't for the life of me remember the model number off hand, have it at home so can check later if someone doesn't post it before hand. I reckon it can be picked up on ebay for about €10. Razer do keyboards as well as Saitek, steelseries and quite a few more. I have an older model G15 and it's great but also had the dell one I linked to below and it served me well. Bring him to a PC world and get him to test a few out, then order online.

hey_dell.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Using a MX518 for few years great mouse fits my hand so nicely, 2 weeks ago i bought a Razor Lachesis looks good and all and is super smooth but tried my best to warm to it but wasn't happening got a cramp using the damn thing so went back to MX518 fantastic mouse don't know what i was thinking changing it.

Gave the slick Razor mouse to my mother for her crap pc she uses on the net looks kinda out of place but she's happy with it, last mouse was one of those cheap Dell ball so quite a step up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I used to have a Saitek Eclipse keyboard which I quite liked. The keys were a little more spaced than they are on normal keyboards, so I found it pretty good for gaming. But I found it hard for normal non-gaming use and picked myself up a microsoft ergonomic keyboard that I find to be great. The thing that may bother some is that the board is split in half so if you're playing a game that, for example uses all 10 number keys, then you have to move your hand further than normal to hit them. But I got used to it pretty quickly and most games I play only really use the keys on the left hand side of the board.

As for a mouse, I use the Logitech MX Revolution. It's not madly popular, but I love it. The battery life is great and it's fully programmable and lots of cool little features (like a mouse wheel with two scroll speeds depending on how hard/fast you spin it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Aldi have a proper gaming mouse at the moment for €16

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Logitech Ultra Flat Keyboard

cheap and good, cant go wrong, had one myself until i spilt a pint on it =[

after that i bought the much more expensive SpeedLink Dark Metal Illuminated Keyboard which is awesome.

as for a mouse, go for the Razer Death Adder or mx518 as failnetic says

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

a good mousemat can make all the difference in the world too.
    speaking of which, mine is getting a bit out of shape. i remember spilling curry on it at one stage. any reccomendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Aldi have a proper gaming mouse at the moment for €16
    lol'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Jazzy wrote: »
    any reccomendations?

dont spill curry on the next one :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Jazzy wrote: »
    a good mousemat can make all the difference in the world too.
    speaking of which, mine is getting a bit out of shape. i remember spilling curry on it at one stage. any reccomendations?

I'll be getting a new one this side of Christmas myself. I've got a razer mantis speed atm and it's decent but their new line is a bit different. Picked up a smaller version of their current range for free at last year's WCG but I wasn't mad about it. I may try out the steelseries line, the QCK Heavy that we got for prizes for next week look really nice, big too.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Have a steelseries QcK+ meself, very big mousemat around 15 inches each way, but if you have the room for it you may as well use it, you dont want your mouse falling off the edge of the mat right when your shooting. They do a smaller version too though if you dont have the space availible. The mat is made well ive had mine around a year now and doesnt seem to have any noticable wear on it. Was going to buy a new one just for the sake of having another one but cleaned it instead and it feels brand new again.

Also the price is great at only 15 euro last time i checked. It also doesnt wear the mose feet very fast so you dont have to worry about getting new skates for the mouse to keep the glide up. Gives a nice glide but not too much that you cant control it, id recommend it to anyone looking for one for gaming :)

Cant comment on the QcK heavy one which offers extra thickness which should help on uneven surfaces or if you like more comfort for your wrist. Not sure if it would affect the glide though, seen as the mouse may sink in a little.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

for a mouse it would be the Logitech G5. Imo a great mouse. have it over a year now and still going stong. Very smooth without a mouse pad too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Cheers for all the replies. Plenty there for me to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

for me i love razer mouses but like everthing, everybody has their favourites.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I use a Logitech G5 myself and a Saitek keyboard. I like them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Kinetic^ wrote: »

hey_dell.png

I hate those keyboards and variants of them cos they chop off the bit where I rest my thumb (EDIT: well the meaty party of my palm really) for the space bar.

Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The G15 is expensive, but they're seemingly built to last. After destroying cheap keyboard after cheap keyboard I treated myself to a G15 and it's running perfectly to this day.
    Absolutely worth it, especially if you play MMPORGs or anything like that, the programmable macro buttons are a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

The OCZ Equalizer (the standard size one) is a fantastic mouse, seems to be completely overlooked. I much prefer this to my old Logitech Mx518.
    The Steelseries Ikari laser is supposed to be an excellent mouse as well, but very expensive, Im very tempted myself though, might have to buy one see what its like.

As someone else said definately invest in a good mouse mat. Func, Steelseries, Icepad all good.

Keyboards really depends on if he wants keys for macros or just wants a comfy one that looks nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

IBM/Unicomp Model M keyboard.

Hard to aquire, but nicer action than any gamer board. It's all in the buckling spring mechanism. I game on it, and write/code on it.
    Great keyboard. For a mouse, any recent Logitech mouse(optical)should do the trick.

Advertisement