Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thebookpeople.ie Exchange Rate

• 14-10-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

Just thought I'd post this here for peoples reference. I've bought books from the www.thebookpeople.ie before, and was very happy with the bargains I got. I've been getting a monthly brochure in the post every month since then. I got a new brochure on Monday, and saw they had an offer on the 6 shortlisted books for the Booker prize for €60. This would qualify for free shipping (since its over €55).

I had a look at The Book Depository (which I use for pretty much every book I buy), and the cost was over €70 (its actually down a little since then to €67). Because of this, I said I'd go with The Book People.

When I went back to The Book People site though I was brought to the UK site (not sure why, maybe I typed in the address wrong). I didn't notice this, and browsed for the book offer I was looking for. I found it, but at a cost of £35. Thats an exchange rate of 1:1.7, when in fact the actual rate is close to 1:1. So we're being charged about 70% more in Ireland for the same books.

I called up to talk to an operator, and got through to a man who had pretty much no interest in helping me, and was very much of the opinion "well thats the price for Ireland, if you don't want it stop wasting my time". He even laughed when I asked him why the exchange rate was so far of, and told me (in a very condescending way) that he didn't set the prices.

Even though TheBookPeople.ie have good offers, I will never take any of them up again as long as they have such ridiculus exchange rates.

I want to compare them now to Hughes & Hughes books who I dealt with previously. I had a voucher for €120 for them, and made out my shopping list from their site. I emailed the list to the store, and asked them if they had them all in stock. As it turned out, the prices online are slightly cheaper than instore. When I raised this point with the store manager, she got back to me within a few hours with the explaination of why they were different, and offer to give me the books at the online cost...thats how you run a business that values its customers, and has a little integrity.

I'm basically just writing this thread to let people know about the exchange rate on TheBookPeople.ie. I'm not moaning/complaining. I'm just highlighting it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Surely we don't need to go through all this again?

There are many economic factors to consider, not just the fx rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

rosboy wrote: »
    Thats an exchange rate of 1:1.7, when in fact the actual rate is close to 1:1. So we're being charged about 70% more in Ireland for the same books.

Sorry, for some reason I misread your post as saying 1:1.07! My bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Surely we don't need to go through all this again?

There are many economic factors to consider, not just the fx rate.

Well, when I did a search of boards.ie for thebookpeople.ie, all I found were posts in the bargain alert saying how great the site was. I was of the same opinion before Monday, and had infact posted a bargain thread for the site previously.

The Book Depository use an fx rate of approx 1:1.07

The Hut use an fx rate of approx 1:1.23 (including for books)

There is no way in the world that their fx rate should be 70% more than The live rate...look at TheBookDepository for example. They include free shipping (which TheBookPeople don't)...and are very close to the live rate.

They seem to be a relatively small operation, and I would have no problem with them having to offer a higher fx rate to cover overheads...but 70% in not fair.

I haven't posted here for a while, and responses like this one show why. I come on here to post my experience, so that maybe it will benefit others. My post isn't emotional. Its neutral. It isn't full of subjective or ficticious numbers. They are all facts.

At the end of the post I sign off by saying that
    I'm basically just writing this thread to let people know about the exchange rate on TheBookPeople.ie. I'm not moaning/complaining. I'm just highlighting it
    , and I get put down by you...very encouraging for to new posters.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Are they cheaper than everyone else ?

If yes - then no problem.

If no - then buy elsewhere.

I find them excellent value for boxed sets (10 books for 19.99) but poor for other single books.

For me if the boxed set was only UK9.99 it makes no odds as the value is still excellent.

• Advertisement

parsi wrote: »
    Are they cheaper than everyone else ?

If yes - then no problem.

If no - then buy elsewhere.

I find them excellent value for boxed sets (10 books for 19.99) but poor for other single books.

For me if the boxed set was only UK9.99 it makes no odds as the value is still excellent.

They were marginally cheaper than The Book Depository, which I normally use and are usually the cheapest around.

I know exactly what you are saying about them being the cheapest, and therefore they are good value, but its the principle of the matter that annoys be. The way I see it, they're saying if you're from the UK we'll charge you 1x, but if you're from Ireland we're going to charge you 1.7x for the same product. If the prices were close, I'd say fair enough, that's par for the course when buying abroad from Ireland. This is just blatantly taking advantage IMO.

Because of that I'd prefer to pay double elsewhere, rather than pay them...my damn morals cost me a fortune:p

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

rosboy wrote: »
    Because of that I'd prefer to pay double elsewhere, rather than pay them...my damn morals cost me a fortune:p

LOL.

parsi wrote: »
    LOL.

I know...not sure whether to be proud of that or embarrassed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Maybe Ireland should ask to be brought back into the UK as people seem obbsessed by the price of goods and services in the UK.

At least then we'd have no more "x is cheaper in a different country" though probably we'd just focus our sights on France and the rest of the continent.

Its a god damn vicious circle.

Advertisement