Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supplementing poor quality silage

• 14-10-2009 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi
    I baled silage at the end of august. It was cut and baled on the same day as the weather was not great. There is still effluent flowing from the bales. What should I supplement this silage with over the winter months? I have no storage for barley, only a feed bin. 25kg bags of barley seem to be as expensive as beef nuts. I was thinking of feeding 1kg of beefs nut per day. Could I give them a mineral block with the nuts? Any other suggestions? I have a few fresian cows housed with calves at the moment. What is the best approach to fatten these cows? Sorry for the 101 questions!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

hard to know what would compensate for the poor silage-as a low cost!
    barley...mayb maize!
    or else as you said a gd molassas lick..might help!
    are the animals in good order going in..
    if ur fattening cattle with it-u meal give them nuts or a ration,with the silage...
    incalf cows-say silage,b enough..and then a pre calfer lick or powder..few weeks before they calf..would do!
    only my opinions here!

Advertisement