Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

white sauce for pasta?

Options
  • 14-10-2009 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    okay so im a big fan of chicken pasta and what i ahve done has always been the same but ive realised that it cant be healthy for the heart. I usuall chop up the chicken breast and boil it whist the pasta is also boiling in a sep pot. for the sauce i use a knob of butter melted with a dash of oil, i then add a pinch or two of garlic salt and then add cream. i constatly stir this over a low-mid healt and the cream thickens to produce a lovely sauce... getting hungry tinking of it tbh :)

but using all this cream aint healty, so im looking for a nice white sauce to use instead that will still have a nice flavour. i tried the 'rue' (could have this totaly wrong - flour, milk and butter) but its too gloopy with very little flavour.
    so any sugestions would be great... oh yeah and its gotta be white sauces guys as tomatoes dont agree with the tummy

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Haven''t really got any suggestions but just with regards to the roux.
    My understanding is that this is simply used to thicken sauces or as a base.
    Maybe try add flavours to it, fry off a bit of garlic and onion maybe, add a bit of cheese, herbs and seasoning too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

damn you, nothing quite like chicken + pasta with cream sauce.

ffs, i miss being home

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Try roux again.
    Butter and flour in pan, let it cook for while.
    Add hot chicken stock or a mix of milk and stock.
    If it's gloopy, add more stock.
    Finish it with a dash of cream.
    Season to taste.
    Could also add a splash of white wine, bit of mustard, saffron, herbs, mushrooms
    or fry some garlic, bacon or onion in the butter first.

Also I'd cook the chicken in the sauce rather than boil it separately.
    By boiling skinless, boneless chicken breasts, you are washing out what little flavour they have.
    Just chop up and allow to simmer in the sauce for a few minutes or even better:
    brown the chicken strips in the pot with some butter, remove them and make the sauce with that butter and add back the chicken with any juices that have run out at the end of cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

thanks guys, i was thinking the roux was a bit flavourless ... doh!! as a matter of interest ive never used a white wine in a sauce and dont drink wine so i wouldnt have a clue what white wine to use or how much to use either...
    any sugestions?
    thANKS....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i love using Philadelphia to make white sauce.

use the low fat one, stick a few spoons in a saucepan with milk and stir

• Advertisement
Advertisement