Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Plans - Making Calculations Difficult

• 14-10-2009 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Hi, just thought I'd ask for your experiences with architects and bad plans. I recently got the master plans of a house for a provisional cert to find that no window heights were included in plans, missing pitch heights.

Surely architects need to realise a bit more attention to detail on the plans is necessary for BER Assessments. What's your thoughts?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Smcgie wrote: »
    Hi, just thought I'd ask for your experiences with architects and bad plans. I recently got the master plans of a house for a provisional cert to find that no window heights were included in plans, missing pitch heights.

Surely architects need to realise a bit more attention to detail on the plans is necessary for BER Assessments. What's your thoughts?

No... its up to you as the assessor to obtain the information from the clients.

Many clients will hand planning drawings over for provisional ber assessments. Unless the client specifically requests the information be supplied by the architect, it is disingenuous for the architect to provide that level of information at planning stage.

By right, the client should be requesting construction plans and specification from the architect, and she should be appointing you as consultant to work with the architect to prepare the construction specification. At the moment you are falling between the two and are neither hither nor thither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

I understand your consultint point syd and am in contact with the Architect as of the clients request. I have construction drawings and there are various details missing off the plans. I was just wondering has people come across this before or is it just the case of a bad architect?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I understand your consultint point syd and am in contact with the Architect as of the clients request. I have construction drawings and there are various details missing off the plans. I was just wondering has people come across this before or is it just the case of a bad architect?

if you have construction plans you should at least have a window schedule included detailing each and every window.

Perhaps a small word in the architects ear to suggest that you maybe you didn't receive the window schedule "by accident" and perhaps he could forward it on top you.....

has he given you a construction specification??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

He's in the process of doing up the construction spec at the moment. I will do the above ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I think if you review whatever course notes you did you'll find several examples with not a lot of information on it. I would invest in a scale ruler or request all drawings as CAD files if you used CAD, you can only work with the infomation provided, I have found doing new builds that the quickest way to find information is to treat the house as existing and go and visit it, for a prelimary cert you obviosuly have to work off the plans but without sufficient information you will be chasing you tail for weeks and not getting paid fo it either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement