Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ticket Validity

• 14-10-2009 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

So each week I get a ticket that covers my dart/luas/bus/train travel, specifically In the morning I get a train to heuston, can travel via luas or 90 bus to conolly and then get a dart to dun laoghaire (it's a bitch of a commute)

So firstly the tickets work 90% of the time in the ticket checking machines in heuston, I know I'm allowed to use this station so I ignore it, quite annoying though.

Then if I decide to get the 90 bus instead of the luas (if it's packed) the ticket works most of the time on the bus, a couple of times it hasn't, seems fairly normal, most people end up having to flash their ticket at the bus driver anyway.

now here comes my problem, I've recently been finding that it's quicker to get the 90 bus up to custom house, cross the street to tara and get the dart from there, can cut around 15 minutes off my journey.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if tickets like mine are actually valid for this this type of trip, I assumed that the ticket was valid from any station between connolly and dun laoghaire since in the past the ticket had worked at tara street and even grand canal dock, but it only works like 50% of the time, the rest I have to flash my ticket at the inspector, but I thought that was normal since it doesn't work at connolly a lot either.

Another thing that confused me was a couple of weeks a go I decided to go into town and get off at pearse, the ticket didn't work so I had to show it to the inspector who then started giving out about how it was ONLY valid for conolly. I explained to him that it worked at tara most of the time and he quickly changed his mind and told me it would work at tara as well since the 90 bus goes from there too. The really confusing part was when i said to him "surely it should be good for a single trip for any station between connolly and dun laoghaire" he replied with "it should but it doesn't"; I stood there trying to figure that out for a while but still don't get what he was trying to say, it should but it doesn't? :confused:

so if anyone understands how ticket validity works or should work (but doesn't :D) please explain it to me, should I be able to travel from tara or is it just the crappy ticket machines messing me up? thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Best off asking at http://www.railusers.ie/forum

At least they might have a straight answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Given that all the Irish Rail vending machines refer to Connolly/Tara/Pearse as "City Centre", I can't see how it makes a difference which of them you get off at. I'm pretty sure they're all effectively the same as far as fare calculation goes.

If by "inspector" you mean the guy standing beside the exit to let out all the people whose tickets fail, I'd actually be surprised if he didn't give you the wrong information.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭atat23

MOH wrote: »
    Given that all the Irish Rail vending machines refer to Connolly/Tara/Pearse as "City Centre", I can't see how it makes a difference which of them you get off at. I'm pretty sure they're all effectively the same as far as fare calculation goes.

If by "inspector" you mean the guy standing beside the exit to let out all the people whose tickets fail, I'd actually be surprised if he didn't give you the wrong information.

yeah that guy, didn't know what else to call him :D

but I never knew that they were all seen as the centre, that's useful to know, thanks!

Thanks goingnowhere, that would indeed be a better place to ask, for some reason I always go to boards first for anything I want to know about ireland, it's my go to, hehe!

Advertisement