Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play.Com - Custom Charges! is this right

Options
  • 14-10-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I ordered a dvd boxset on Play.com (which I thought was a UK website). The postman has been and gone and left a note to say I owe €26 in custom charges.

I have spoken to Customs who advise that the parcel was sent from Jersey which is not part of the EU and has no reciprocal VAT arrangements with Ireland. He also advised the chargfe was €20 but An post stick on €6 handling fee!

This all makes sense but it is very disappointing to order from a website which gives the impresssion that it is in the UK and then goes and sends it deliveries from Jersey!!

Anybody had a similar experience?

I am seriously thinking of letting customs return to package to Play and get my refund.

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

True, Play do not make it very clear that they are technically located outside the EU, and that you therefore may be liable for duty/VAT.

I'd say the Revenue/Customs are getting stricter these days.

Try Amazon.co.uk in future - free shipping to Ireland with orders over £25 (approx) and a much fairer exchange rate than Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

Dudara,

Thanks - I usually use Amazon but the particular boxset I was lookign for, Hosuse m.d. series1-5 was only available on Play. Never again say I !!

Paul

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The €22 rule applies, you are not liable for duty/vat/handling if the contents of a package are worth less than €22 (or so) irrespective of origin.

Thereafter you are fully liable .

However PLAY should have told you that you COULD be liable before you bought it , bring it to the ECC in Dublin !

http://www.ecic.ie/

A NON EU service passed itself off as an EU service !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Play.com have covered themselves.

http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/Help.html?page=playterms#jump-04

Item 36.

If your delivery address is outside of Jersey, you may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once a shipment reaches your country. Any such additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by you. You should note that customs policies vary widely from country to country; Play.com advises each customer to contact their local customs office for further information.

The info is there.

Grand so, it is clearly explained in their T&Cs . Linkee there Paulw :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for the responses. Teach me to read the small print in future! However Play.Com is off my Internet Shopping list for good!

I will chalk it down to experience and move onwards and upwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

pauld wrote: »
    I am seriously thinking of letting customs return to package to Play and get my refund.

You may be charged a re-stocking fee for the returned product, so you may not get a full refund.

Question to ask yourself; is it still worth the price you paid plus the extra €26? If you can't get it cheaper than that, then why not pay and keep it?

Jor el, I have decided to keep it as the other half was promised that she would be getting it. It will be my last purchase from that website though!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This all makes sense but it is very disappointing to order from a website which gives the impresssion that it is in the UK and then goes and sends it deliveries from Jersey!!
    I didn't really get much of an impression they are posting from the UK. I would say other sites do though, e.g. www.hmv.co.uk post from jersey, by using the .co.uk it does more likely to be presumed it is coming from the UK, and I am surprised such a big retailer like HMV would engage in such tactics, and I do presume they know exactly what they are at by doing this. Other companies like mymemory.co.uk ship from jersey too, but I would expect more honesty from the big boys, and the lack of warning lets me know it is intentional, since they obviously have had lots of complaints after the fact.

Many Hong Kong sellers on ebay use UK addresses too.

I always presume .com sellers are coming from jersey.

If you are unsure about the site then use the following syntax in google which will just search that site for the word jersey or jersey and channel islands (jersey on its own gets hits for various dvds.) Often this info is hidden deep in terms & conditions pages.

jersey channel islands site:play.com

First hit for that gets.
    If your delivery address is outside of Jersey, you may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once a shipment reaches your country. Any such additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by you. You should note that customs policies vary widely from country to country; Play.com advises each customer to contact their local customs office for further information.

jersey channel islands site:mymemory.co.uk
    Customers
    MyMemory Ltd.
    FREEPOST 500
    St Helier
    Jersey
    Channel Islands
    JE1 1AF

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When you go to the log in screen en route to the checkout theres a blue box on the left with a European flag sayign people outside the UK will be charge customs in € . Just like bogus ebay auctions etc the signs are there if you dont rush through things and get excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

dudara wrote: »

Try Amazon.co.uk in future - free shipping to Ireland with orders over £25 (approx) and a much fairer exchange rate than Play.

Since when? I've ordered plenty from Amazon costing more than £25 and haven't got free shipping. :confused:

Amazon, Zavvi and HMV all have the House box set for the same price as Play though shipping isn't included in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've never been charged for customs on anything I've bought from play and I've ordered plenty of stuff worth more than €26 for one item like games and boxsets, strange

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

Soundman wrote: »
    Since when? I've ordered plenty from Amazon costing more than £25 and haven't got free shipping. :confused:

Around the 6th of this month.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055702344

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Soundman wrote: »

Amazon, Zavvi and HMV all have the House box set for the same price as Play though shipping isn't included in the price.

It's only been available for the last week or two AND it's not automatically applied when you check out, you have to select Super Saver Delivery yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I can't use amazon. It's just annoying that you go through a whole process of selecting goods and then find out they won't ship them to ireland. I would you could filter out what is sold by amazon only and not third parties but they don't have that option. Just too annoying.

Play.com is a pretty good site if you buying the odd dvd. Some good prices. I've never ordered anything too expensive so haven't been caught out by customs.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Thanks guys for the responses. Teach me to read the small print in future! However Play.Com is off my Internet Shopping list for good!

I will chalk it down to experience and move onwards and upwards

The vast majority of the major online retailers are based in Jersey. It's one of the main reasons why goods are so much cheaper because they do not include vat. You will be striking off a lot more than play as you go along.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I've ordered from Play dozens of times and never had any added charges!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just to add as a reminder for anyone purchasing off Play (or mymemory etc) in future (not applicable in the OPs case) but if you are buying small items less than €22 order them in separate orders as you don't get charged extra for shipping them separate but avoid paying customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cmsp.plumber

same ive order loads of dvd, books etc and never charged any extra!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Just to add as a reminder for anyone purchasing off Play (or mymemory etc) in future (not applicable in the OPs case) but if you are buying small items less than €22 order them in separate orders as you don't get charged extra for shipping them separate but avoid paying customs.

there is no need to do this for play.com. they always ship each item individually.

• Advertisement

Box sets will be over €22 and that is where you will get caught !

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Box sets will be over €22 and that is where you will get caught !

I got the first 5 seasons of Peep show from them for about €16. So sometimes... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

at least this thread hasn't gone into the usual "who do revenue think they are stopping my tax free purchases and claiming what we as residences of the state give them a right to do, getting taxes etc"!! Waiting for it though............

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

.....who do revenue think they are stopping my tax free purchases and claiming what we as residences of the state give them a right to do, getting taxes etc.....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

jor el wrote: »
    You may be charged a re-stocking fee for the returned product, so you may not get a full refund.

Don't they have to accept returns without a penalty under distance selling regulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

MOH wrote: »
    Don't they have to accept returns without a penalty under distance selling regulations?

Yes they do if you return within 7 of recipt days as per their terms and conditions. Customs tried to hit me with a bill for €66 for the Beatles Remastered Mono box set. Needless to say it's gone back. I did get a €29 blu ray Band of Brothers delivered this week; that must have slipped through the customs net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You do indeed. If there's any postage to pay, that's up to you, but there should be no other penalty as long as it's within 7 days of receipt. Which begs the question; if you don't actually receive them, when does the 7 days end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

jor el wrote: »
    You do indeed. If there's any postage to pay, that's up to you, but there should be no other penalty as long as it's within 7 days of receipt. Which begs the question; if you don't actually receive them, when does the 7 days end?

Well if you never receive them, and customs return them, then the seller has them back, it has to be within the 7 days, since you never received them at all, so everyone's happy. Except whoever paid for the return postage(customs?).

Well if you never receive them, and customs return them, then the seller has them back, it has to be within the 7 days, since you never received them at all, so everyone's happy. Except whoever paid for the return postage(customs?).

I'm pretty sure if a package can't be delivered the return postage is covered similar to if you send a letter and the person no longer lives at that address. Return to sender is covered in the original postage.
    And as play offer "free" delivery then there should be no postage costs ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I can't use amazon. It's just annoying that you go through a whole process of selecting goods and then find out they won't ship them to ireland. I would you could filter out what is sold by amazon only and not third parties but they don't have that option. Just too annoying.

Play.com is a pretty good site if you buying the odd dvd. Some good prices. I've never ordered anything too expensive so haven't been caught out by customs.

They do have that option on the left hand side, you can specify amazon.co.uk as a seller and filter out the rest, since the free shipping came in, I've been using it on a daily basis:cool::cool:

Advertisement