Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play.Com - Custom Charges! is this right

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Jees, glad I read this thread, was about to order the full box set of Only Fools and Horses for €50 from play.com but with all the bad feed back, think ill get it else where :) cheers

p.s would you all recommend Amazon for my purchase ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭royan

Stekelly wrote: »
    When you go to the log in screen en route to the checkout theres a blue box on the left with a European flag sayign people outside the UK will be charge customs in €

What, this one? Mentions euros, but not customs. "Customers", yes :)

euronotice.gif

The States of Jersey has this explanation of its relationship with the European Union re tax/duty.
    "Although the Channel Islands form part of the Customs territory of the EC, they are not full member states and are not part of the Single European Market for VAT purposes."
    "Goods exported from the Channel Islands consigned to a member state of the EC are liable to VAT upon importation at the rate applicable in the country of destination."
    ... but you'd still need to know to check there.

I (or my wife, buying me a present) just got stung for €17 for a CD box set.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

pauld wrote: »
    The postman has been and gone and left a note to say I owe €26 in custom charges.
    krudler wrote: »
    I've never been charged for customs on anything I've bought from play and I've ordered plenty of stuff worth more than €26 for one item like games and boxsets, strange
    The OP was charged €26, so his item would have costed a lot more
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Box sets will be over €22 and that is where you will get caught !
    Technically this is true, In practise customs seem to treat everything as a gift, i.e. the limit used is usually €45 which is the limit on gifts. I remember a customs lad on the news actually saying the limit was €45, and made no mention of the gift thing. It is not really worth the admin costs to collect on less than that.

However with the likes of play.com or cdwow (if from outside the EU) I expect they come in containers and it would be easier to process a big bundle of items. So they might go for the €22 limit more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Eoinzzz wrote: »
    I got hit last year with two boxsets for custom charges and swore I would never use them again! (And couldnt get a straight answer out of them)
    A straight answer? what was the question? It would be like buying a dvd in HMV in dublin and then ranting at the staff "What the FU*K- you expect me to pay VAT, give me a reasonable reason why!"
    The only alternative was really CD Wow.
    cdwow often ship from outside the EU so you have the same problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I got hit last year with two boxsets for custom charges and swore I would never use them again! (And couldnt get a straight answer out of them) The only alternative was really CD Wow but all there stuff takes forever and is graded stock from China.

I came across these guys which launched a couple of weeks ago set up for the Irish market www.bestnightin.com. I got a promotion code from a friend of mine for World at War complete collection and got it 60 euro cheaper than play and arrived after 2 days! Would like to find out a bit more about them though before going nuts with my hard earned cash :) LOL

Play.com and all the rest of the would want to stop treating people like cattle.

Check that user Eoinzzz's profile and you will see that all his posts are about how remarkably cheap that website is. rolleyes.gif It's also not an Irish website, they are based in the UK. Beware, shill alert!

• Advertisement
Advertisement