Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips to make getting up easier?

Options
  • 14-10-2009 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

(Sorry if this has been done before, but I can't search at moment.)

Ok, I know a lot of people find it hard to get up some mornings but seriously, I think there is actually something wrong with me.

Getting up for work every morning is pure torture. I do get enough sleep and I do a little excercise and eat well etc but when the alarm clock goes off every morning I just want to cry. I feel as though I've been drugged, I can't move and I have to set the alarm for at least an hour before I need to get up as it takes me at least that long to wake up enough to actually get out of bed.

I seriously consider phoning in sick nearly every morning and - to my shame - I almost wished I would lose my job so that I wouldn't have to get up in the morning.

I don't particularly enjoy my job so I know that's one reason why I don't bound out of bed, but it's not THAT bad - I've had worse.

I live for my lie ins at the weekend. I normally get up around 11 on weekends but have been known to stay longer sometimes. I rarely stay out late so it's not that I'm recovering or anything - just too tired to get up before that!

The funny thing is, once I'm up I'm pretty ok. I'm not overly tired during the day or anything - it's just the actual waking up in the morning that's the problem.

Sometimes I get upset as I can't even enjoy going to bed at night as I know the torture waiting the next morning. Some people call me lazy, but I hate that as I'm not a lazy person. Once I'm up, I'm fine. I'm not one to sit around watching telly or anything. I do housework, call to people, I do a fitness class, whatever.

So I suppose I'm wondering if anyone can suggest anything that will make it easier to get out of bed. Has anyone used that alarm clock that is like a light that gradually gets brighter? Does it work? They are expensive but I'd try it if I thought it would work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I know your pain, i`m pretty much in the same boat. I`ve been late for work just about everyday for the last month.
    TBH, the only thing that revives me in the morning is black coffee and toast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

As soon as you wake up try throwing the quilt as far away as possible from the bed as possible so as you have to get up to retrieve it. Then drag yourself up to get it, promising yourself that it will only take three seconds till you can get back in. If you make it that far just tell yourself that that the worst is now over, open the curtains, turn on the radio as loud as you can bear it & then hope for the best.

Alternatively, convince yourself you need to pee badly, will yourself to do it. Often you will have a full bladder in the morning anyway. As soon as you get the urge, convince yourself that if you don’t get up to go now it will be too late. Get up & do as above regarding curtains & loud music. Pee if necessary. Stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

I read on a very reputable site about an excellent way to get yourself up early everymorning.

Its pretty simple its just making yourself get into a habit of getting up the second you wake you.

Try this some night when you have some time off.

Prepare your room as it would be when you get up in the morning, and get into or out of your clothes for sleeping. Set an alarm that you will always use and set it for about 5 mins ahead. Get into bed and try to relax as much as possible.

Then when your alarm goes off open your eyes take in a big breath and get out of bed straight away, get dressed and leave your room. Then come back in set it up again and do it again. If you do this enough times every few nights getting up will be a breeze. Its all about habit.

This guy probably said it better but then some people don't like clicking odd links on the net. Enjoy :pac:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/05/how-to-become-an-early-riser/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I have this exact problem too. I honestly feel like crying when the alarm goes off. Sometimes I set my alarm for 4am just so I can wake up and have the pleasure of falling back to sleep again.

In my old job they used to expect me to be a bit late on wet days (thank god for flexi time) because they knew I found it so hard to get up. I honesty didn't care that i was late. I still don't sometimes. They could fire me and I would prob say 'meh'.

People just say 'getup' and be done with it but for some people the effort is overwhelming :(

I struggle with the calling in sick thing too but never have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Hi thanks for all the replies.

Unfortunately I can't do the throwing off the quilt, turn on radio, open curtains as my husband works later than me and is still asleep when I'm getting up so I try to be as quiet as I can. (Makes it that much harder to get up when he - and the cat! - are still snoozing away).

Would you believe I've seen one of those alarm clocks with the gradually brightening light in the Avon catalogue for only €22 so I've ordered one. I'll let ye know how I get on.

In the meantime, I might try that 'practice' getting up Irish_wolf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

was going to suggest this but your husband and kitty would definetly not approve!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ-l5PlDa-k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Ha ha, that's hilarious! That might do the trick alright - although hubby definitely wouldn't approve. (And the cat would have a heart failure :D)

Advertisement