Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperately seeking value for money riding lessons in Leixlip/Dublin area

Options
  • 14-10-2009 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi everyone!

This is a plea of sorts to anyone who may know of an equestrian centre/horse owner that can provide me with value for money riding lessons.

My situation is this: rode as a child for many years in Donacomper riding school and then intermittently over the years. Having missed it for too long I decided to start riding regularly this year. I've had a mixture of treks and lessons at Ashtown equestrian centre (EC), private lesson at Thornton Park EC, trek at Clonfert and Kellystown EC and treks and private lesson at my favourite, Brennanstown EC. I would class myself as an advanced beginner.

I can control the horse at walk, trot and canter pretty much. I've ridden horses mostly. Where I do need help is a smooth transition from trot to canter and back again, tips on controlling a horse when cantering on a trek (it can get a little scary) and an introduction to jumping.

The problem is the cost is proving prohibitive for me. Although I have all my own 'gear' I simply can't afford to ride every week :(. I live in the Leixlip area. If there is anyone whose horse needs exercising I would love to do that and help with mucking out etc. Or perhaps you have a horse stabled at an equestrian centre that doesn't get out much and I could possibly have lessons on him/her for a reduced rate.

I am genuine and sincere about this. Nothing dodgy at all. Just want to ride and be around horses more often.

What do ya 'all think?

LL.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Clonfert do adult lessons at a standard that would may suit you, and price wise at 5 lessons for 80euro i haven't seen any better...

Check out the other thread about lessons in the maynooth area you might see some other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

TBH you get what you pay for.

Have you tried talking to the yards that know you about doing some casual work? Don't expect a yes as costs in yards have not come down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 littleluvvie

It's true you do get what you pay as far as horse riding is concerned, centre facilities, instructor standard etc. LG I have had a trek at Clonfert and tried to organize more but every time I leave a message they don't get back to me! They need to get there act together there. However as I don't have a car at the moment Clonfert may as well be Wicklow.
    Only one thing for it, steal a horse and keep it in my massive back garden. Sorted!;)

If you want time with horses (not just riding) than you could volunteer with something like the RDA. They are crying out for volunteers! I used to volunteer but now can't due to college, there are some very knowledgeable horsepeople involved.

http://www.rdai.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 littleluvvie

That's so strange DE because I applied to volunteer with RDAI just the other day. My sister has special needs and has participated in the Dublin Horse Show in association with RDAI. They do require a lot of your time though, 3 hours a week I think.
    The perfect situation I feel would be someone whose horse is overgrazed and under exercised. Enter me. I'll book my usual 2 hr trek @ Brennanstown next Friday and try 'n organize a private lesson with Clonfert...if they ever get back to me! Running a business 101: answer phones!!!:p

• Advertisement

Ring them up and chase them on it. Don't they do RDA in Brennanstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tanzanite

You could try Leinster Lodge On the main road from Maynooth to Dunboyne..they do special rates if you get more then one lesson :)

Advertisement