Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Etape de Tour 2010 18 July

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Excellent, who is in??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Whats the cost involved in doing an Etape de Tour??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

I'm definitely going to give it my best shot to do it. The WW200 is on the 13th of June which would fit nicely into the training schedule.

A friend in work did it last(this) year with a fair bit less work than I did this year, and on a hybrid, plus he's in his 40's, at 30, it should be easy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Not easy no matter what age you are. The last 4km of Marie Blanque are a real bastard. The north side of Soulor is a sleeping giant, 12km very hard climbing + the 12km drag before the start, same with the Tourmalet, it is officially 18 kilometers but there is a 12km drag before the start. By drag I mean over 3%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭keogh777

id love to do it, bust it seems to be a much more costly event than the La Marmotte

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

hey guys,

Looking for help. Looking to enter it but dont want to pay for a package deal with an operator as I have a house which is actually on the route (Argeles-Gazost).

What I am looking for is a place I can just simply enter, I know its about Velo Magazine but wouldnt get that entry in on time.

Any suggestions and best one can stay with us in Argeles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

I see a few operators are offering "entry only" spots already.
    Here's 2....
    http://www.frenchcyclingholidays.com/sport/etape/index.html
    and
    http://www.cyclomundo.com/etape_du_tour.html

Look at the prices!
    £190 and €220 resp.
    Thats robbery, I was speaking to my friend who did it last year and he said they paid 50 for their entry?? He's trying to find out how they got theirs, a friend of a friend organised it for their group, so he just paid up and didn't ask where they came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

why not just go cycling in france for a week?

kilns wrote: »

Well once you have the address in France you have most of the work done! You could subscribe for 6 months to Velo magazine (€25 including delivery to Ireland) and send off the application when you receive the February issue? I don't know what the delivery times are for Ireland but you'll be able to work that out based on the Nov/Dec/Jan. I think you will have enough time. They usually come out last Wed of the month and you have until 15 of the following month (Feb) to get the application in. You will need either a medical cert or a UFOLEP/FSGT/FFC licence but that should be an issue for you. If you have a house there I'd imagine you have a bank account /cheque book.

A friend of mine is getting married on the same day. :( Any ideas how to get out of that ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Well once you have the address in France you have most of the work done! You could subscribe for 6 months to Velo magazine (€25 including delivery to Ireland) and send off the application when you receive the February issue? I don't know what the delivery times are for Ireland but you'll be able to work that out based on the Nov/Dec/Jan. I think you will have enough time. They usually come out last Wed of the month and you have until 15 of the following month (Feb) to get the application in. You will need either a medical cert or a UFOLEP/FSGT/FFC licence but that should be an issue for you. If you have a house there I'd imagine you have a bank account /cheque book.

A friend of mine is getting married on the same day. :( Any ideas how to get out of that ? :D

Has he got a Tandem? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

kilns wrote: »
    hey guys,

Looking for help. Looking to enter it but dont want to pay for a package deal with an operator as I have a house which is actually on the route (Argeles-Gazost).

What I am looking for is a place I can just simply enter, I know its about Velo Magazine but wouldnt get that entry in on time.

As I did last year, Get someone to photocopy/fax the entry form from the magazine for you, fill it in and send it off using your french address with your med cert and your laughing!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

tunney wrote: »
    why not just go cycling in france for a week?
    With that outlook no-one would ever take part in a sportive or indeed race for that matter- why take part in an Ironman, why not just go for a holiday where you can do a bit of swimming, cycling and running :) Most continental sportives are timed events and can be treated as races every bit as much as a marathon or indeed triathlon. The front guys indeed do so and last year's Etape was won by the French national champion. Alternatively you can see it as a challenge to yourself against the clock.

There is an appeal to taking part in such a mass event with thousands of other cyclists. You can cycle the Wicklow 200 or the Ring of Kerry route any day of the year yet some people like to do it on the day of the event. The Etape has the advantage of closed roads and you are cycling a Tour de France stage.

I did the Marmotte this year and then later did the Raid Pyreneen (cycle Atlantic-Mediterranean across the Pyrenees in 100 hours.) The former with 8000 other cyclists, the latter with one other cyclist. Both had their appeal although if I had to compare them I admit I would give the nod to the Raid, it was the best thing I have ever done on a bike. We carried our stuff but Paddy (velopeloton, the original poster) does supported tours carrying bags in a van.

The Etape can be ludicrously expensive but if there was a reasonably priced way of doing it I would certainly be interested- if Paddy has a package involving transfers at a reasonable price I would certainly be on for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Anyone used these guys before ?
    http://www.enroute.nl/letapedutour.shtml

400 for 3 nights accom and entry fee + all transfers
    seems decent enough to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

blorg wrote: »
    I did the Marmotte this year and then later did the Raid Pyreneen (cycle Atlantic-Mediterranean across the Pyrenees in 100 hours.) The former with 8000 other cyclists, the latter with one other cyclist. Both had their appeal although if I had to compare them I admit I would give the nod to the Raid, it was the best thing I have ever done on a bike. We carried our stuff but Paddy (velopeloton, the original poster) does supported tours carrying bags in a van.

I have signed up to do the Raid supported (Velopeleton) in 2010. Was hoping to do either Etape or Marmotte, but the cost and stress (creeping broomwagon, number of participants) and hassle in entering has sort of turned me off. Plus the Raid is more than likely a whole other world of pain and suffering amid the beauty of the Pyrenees.

can anyone point me in direction of last years Etape thread - this search function being down is a pain in the neck

can anyone point me in direction of last years Etape thread - this search function being down is a pain in the neck

Good start here
    Two thread here and here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭jif

keogh777 wrote: »
    id love to do it, bust it seems to be a much more costly event than the La Marmotte

Its on closed roads, its point to point race, organisation is far better, generally people dont die in it:eek:, its a different route every year, its real tour stage, its more popular =more people willing to pay more =more expensive ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@jif- have you done both?

I have only done the Marmotte so can't compare but the organisation was excellent, really didn't leave me wishing for anything. From what I have read of people who have done both there is a decided tendency to describe the Etape as over rated and the Marmotte the better value option. Certainly the Marmotte is harder, although the 2010 Etape is looking pretty tough (pity they took out one rumoured climb)... With the Marmotte there is also a week long series of races which I reckon I will do next year.

However the Etape as you say is closed roads and a Tour stage and I would certainly like to do it as well. To be honest I don't think it is that expensive to do if you are French, it is just pumped up for the foreigners. So if there was a way to do it without it costing the earth I certainly would and indeed will next year.

The death comment is somewhat out of place, these things can happen whether a crash descending in the high mountains or a heart attack or heatstroke climbing them... A tragedy certainly, it happens in Tour itself you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

I have done the etape for the last two years.
    A lot is made of the 8000+ entries, 9500 this year, but they are left off in a controlled fashion. To be honest it is more difficult to cycle through the crowd up to the Sally Gap during the W200.
    Two years ago I just bought an entry only from www.customgetaways.com
    as I built the family holiday around the race.
    If you can get a couple of guys together then you can overcome the logistics of starting and finishing in different places.
    I know that the tour operator are curently sorting out their hotels at the moment so you would need to be fast to get a good location.

Last year I used a tour operator, is it a bit dear posssibly. You do have the advantage of being driven to the start and collect at the finish. Plus seveal days climbing all the cols on the course and few others to boot.

• Advertisement

Freddy687 wrote: »
    To be honest it is more difficult to cycle through the crowd up to the Sally Gap during the W200.
    On the first climb in this years Etape I saw a guy in an Irish jersey learning the French for "on the left". The etiquette is that the left most part of the road is for the fastest and god help you if you hold up any fast moving Italian or French rider. The same Irish cyclist learned a few French swear words in the same exchange too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

blorg wrote: »
    The death comment is somewhat out of place, these things can happen whether a crash descending in the high mountains or a heart attack or heatstroke climbing them... A tragedy certainly, it happens in Tour itself you know.
    +1 on that
    The brother of a friend of mine was paralysed after a crash on the Etape 6/7 years ago. Overshot bend on descent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

A report from one of the guys in Swords who did this years Etape.

This is my favourite bit, his tactics for the final climb of the day :D
    My strategy for Ventoux is threefold; part 1 the first 6 km to be done at a quick tempo, followed by part 2, 6 to 16 km with an average gradient of 10% to be done as quickly as possible. The strategy for the final 6 km from Chalet Raynard is just to bury my head and go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Diarmuid wrote: »

Sleep with his fiancée?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ridertothesea

I'm giving serious consideration to doing the Etape du Tour on one of the 'Dublin Bikes' - will be hoping for a podium finish cause the streamlining is bound to help. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hutchy

I'm sure there are old threads on training schedules for the Etape...with the search option down could anybody point me in the right direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hutchy wrote: »
    I'm sure there are old threads on training schedules for the Etape...with the search option down could anybody point me in the right direction?

There is still a search option, inside the big flashy sticky thread.

Or just prefix a Google search with

site:boards.ie cycling

What would be the best way to get back from finish to Pau ? I thought my package included transfers but it doesnt. Would taxis/minibus in the area have bike racks ?
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Strange, who is that with?. A package without transfers is about as much use as a fart in a space-suit.
    From the summit of Col du Tourmalet you have to descend to La Mongie where the finish area will be, from there to Pau is 86km so cycling is probably not an option. The Etape organisation will have a shuttle bus the day before the race, if you hire a car you could leave it in La Mongie or Bagnéres and take the bus or cycle back to Pau, bikes are not allowed on the shuttle bus.
    From La Mongie you could descend to Bagnéres and then cycle the 21km to the train station in Lourdes. I don't know what private bus companies may do for the day, I'll keep an ear out.

its with enroute, dutch crowd I think

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

Mate pulled out of the etape so i'll be heading along to the start line on July 18th. Anybody else on boards doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

honkjelly wrote: »
    Mate pulled out of the etape so i'll be heading along to the start line on July 18th. Anybody else on boards doing it?

You are aware that entries are non-transferable?

No!! Do they check for ID?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

No!! Do they check for ID?

Let us know how you get on whatever happens

• Advertisement

No problems signing up. Had my mates old passport and wore a pair of shades but they only checked that the name on the ID matched the name on their list. Will be interesting to see how the day compares to the Marmotte. Have no time in mind so will hopefully enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Have no time in mind so will hopefully enjoy it.

remember its not a race :D, have a nice ride.

Have not hit wifi in ages so a belated report...
    Had no nerves the night before so slept really well. Was up at 5am to try and get as much food as possible down my gob. Headed off to the start at around 6 with the first group off at 7am. 3 of us were in the same pen which was way way back due to our start numbers were in the eight thousands. By complete chance we pulled in randomly to make sure we were all together and saw that we could get into a a better pen without having to pass the number checking guys so just went for it. Hey presto in the 5000's+ pen. Happy Days.
    Heard the countdown just before seven but was a quarter past before we got moving. Was class rolling toward the start with the adrenaline pumping. I didn't really have any plan for the day. Didn't have any idea of heart rate zones to stay in either as 27 straight days of the giro and tour had my HR all over the place. I just decided to go on how i felt and to try and keep it comfortable but verging on slightly uncomfortable when climbing. Also resolved not to play with matches too early on.
    Just across the line and i got my matches out. Just could not help myself with groups whizzing by shouting a gauche. Spent the next 20k doing rotations of gunning it and then sitting up for a bit before latching onto another fast group. After 20k we hit the first cat 4 climb and i was stunned by how awful my legs felt. They were so heavy that it crossed my mind that i wouldn't be able to finish. Luckily whatever was wrong was washed out by the top and i felt much better after that. The next section was gradually uphill and lumpy and don't remember much of it. After about 55k we finally got to the first proper climb, the col du marie blanque which looked fine but did have a few k's of over 10%. As usual each k was sing posted telling you what was in store and i actually felt happier when i saw a 10+ gradient as i felt it gave me an advantage after the days on zoncolan and the mortirola. Was passing loads on this climb andjust as the climb reached it's 13% worst i had to get off and walk because of a tail back. I wasn't too bothered but if i had been going for a time i would have been going berserk. Later found out that it was just caused by a few people stopping to walk together and blocking the road. Just stupid. Was ok for me as i only lost 7 minutes but lads further back had to walk for 3k's.
    There was a bit of a descent before the feed station where i refilled my water bottles and filled my pockets with bananas. In between here and the start of the col du soulour was a 20k gradual downhill and uphill which meant it was all about getting into a group. Had a nibble at a really fast group but dropped out of it because i knew it was bad news. Another group formed that was going at a fine speed so just tucked in near the front, near enough that i could see splits and react quickly but far away enough not to ever end up on the front. Perfect.
    At the base of the soular i upped the HR to high 140's and low 150's and kept it there as it felt fine. Was still passing loads so knew that the pace was ok and the 12k's or whatever it was just flew by. The last few k's opened up and you could see the road filled with cyclists sneaking uphill. By the top i was feeling great so gave so upped it to 160 for the summit. The descent of the soular was broken up by a feed stop. For a bit of a flat section in between descents i was left on my own in no mans land trying to get onto a better group. When the road declined again i gave it everything to catch them and nearly crashed into a stone wall on a long right hander when i was going way too fast but i did get onto the back of them. Have to say the garmin 705 is class as you can tell which corners are not sharp and keep the speed up. Has made all the descents i've done much much more enjoyable. Next came the drag to the base of the tourmalet and no proper group formed. Got into bits and bobs but it was very erratic and for whatever reason i felt pretty bad. Maybe just lost rhythm.
    When the gradient started to rise up i stopped looking for groups and decided to stick to my own pace. Didn't want it to be dictated by anyone else. So for the 18k's of the tourmalet i stuck to my plan and did high 140's low 150's again and was passing lots again. Had a chat with an Irish guy who was over with on your bike (think it was eamon) which took both our minds off the pain for a few k's. Have to say the people on the side of the road were just great pouring water over your head and back and it was deffo needed as it was scorching 36 degrees on the ascent. The climb went on and on and on but at 2k i new the end was in sight so upped it to 160 again for a champagne finish. Crossed the line at 8:41 which was grand. At the base of the tourmalet I set a time of under 9 hours as my goal and was happy enough with my 1:50 on it.
    So comparing it to the marmotte. Even though there was one less big climb and 400m less climbing in total i'd say they were similar. The lumpiness of sections the etape tested the legs a bit more as people who have done the mick byrne will know. The marmotte is pretty much flat at the start and then either up or down apart form a few small uphill sections on the galibier descent. The open roads of the etape are just amazing. Is great to be able to let go fully descending and not having to worry about cars. The crowds are also much more vocal. The only downside was getting back to pau and the two hour traffic jam down the other side of the tourmalet.

Advertisement