Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why Have Williams Left Toyota

• 14-10-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why Williams have left Toyota ? The only thing I can think of is that Williams have some inside info that Toyota are leaving the sport. Its not as it Renault or Cosworth are better engines

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

thegoth wrote: »
    Anyone know why Williams have left Toyota ? The only thing I can think of is that Williams have some inside info that Toyota are leaving the sport. Its not as it Renault or Cosworth are better engines

They probably couldn't stick having Nakajimi any longer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

True. There is always that. I still think Williams were afraid that Toyota might leave as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Most Fota teams don't want KERS and agreed not to use it.
    Willams want to use there version so they can sell/licence it.
    Toyota is not interested in fitting Williams KERS to their engine?
    and Nakajima and Toyota might leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

For nostalgic reasons, I really hope that Williams can do a deal with Renault for next year. Although the whole KERS thing makes Cosworth sound more likely. With no other teams using the system, if Williams manage to get on top of KERS next year, they could win a couple of races.

It's a real shame that they were lumbered with Nakajima this year. If they had two Rosbergs, they'd currently be in third place in the Constructors' Championship. Barrichello and Hulkenberg sounds like a decent blend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

...or could be that toyota F1 engines are..CRAP and underpowered.

• Advertisement

me@ucd wrote: »
    ...or could be that toyota F1 engines are..CRAP and underpowered.

I would say thats Renaults badge of honour. :p

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I would say thats Renaults badge of honour. :p

In spite of the 4 races they won this year?

smooch71 wrote: »
    In spite of the 4 races they won this year?

Yeah, underpowered compared to Mercedes/Ferrari, and crap, a few failures.
    Lets not forget the team that won with Renaults engines are considering changing supplier too.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Yeah, underpowered compared to Mercedes/Ferrari, and crap, a few failures.
    Lets not forget the team that won with Renaults engines are considering changing supplier too.

Fair point.

Don't think they're quite as lame as Toyota though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Hope to god Williams use Renault engines next year, last time Cosworth appeared in F1 was in 2006 with em and it was a pretty rubbish engine. And as far as i know Cosworth are bound to the engine freeze so their 2010 spec engine won't be too much different..

• Advertisement

Red Storm wrote: »
    Hope to god Williams use Renault engines next year, last time Cosworth appeared in F1 was in 2006 with em and it was a pretty rubbish engine. And as far as i know Cosworth are bound to the engine freeze so their 2010 spec engine won't be too much different..

Im sure i read somewhere that Cosworth have been given permission to work on their engine in order to get in up to 2010 spec, since FOTA have blocked them from running it unrestricted.
    I think some current teams might be thinking its worth a shot if they get the power/fuel efficiency right.

2006 was the first year of V8 though, so surely it can't be majorly different in terms of power?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Fabio

Toyota F1 engines used not be as underpowered as they are now...at one point near the end of the 3.0 V10 era they were the cream of the crop in the power stakes if I am not mistaken.

I think the Toyota engine is ok.

The Cosworth was a finr V10 in 2006. They will be allowed to work on it for 2010 so it should be a good bet for next year.

I am sure that the difference between Toyota, Renault, and Cosworth would be small, with the likely choice of Renault being the worst, but cheaper then Renault. I just think that Williams have a none engine performance releated reason for leaving Toyota. Could well be releated to KERS

I think the Toyota engine is ok.

The Cosworth was a finr V10 in 2006. They will be allowed to work on it for 2010 so it should be a good bet for next year.

I am sure that the difference between Toyota, Renault, and Cosworth would be small, with the likely choice of Renault being the worst, but cheaper then Renault. I just think that Williams have a none engine performance releated reason for leaving Toyota. Could well be releated to KERS
    For Toro Rosso twas a V10 from the previous years Minardi, Williams used the V8...

Type. Was thiniking about their limted V10 as I wrote it and ended up typing V10 instead of V8

Williams are going with Cosworth next year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79615

The team is a shadow of it's former self and their sad decline continues.

I'm sure they have seen the figures before making their mind up on who to go with.
    It seems they have dropped plans to use KERS too.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/091019165613.shtml

I think with the new regulations in the next few years, I think that Williams will be back where they were in the early to mid 90's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I think with the new regulations in the next few years, I think that Williams will be back where they were in the early to mid 90's

They still are going to have the budget issues that have marred the team for the last three or four years and the fact that they were quick this season doesn't mean that they will be quick next season when Ferrari, McLaren and a reinvigorated Renault will utilise bigger budgets and more manpower to overcome issues that they had this season. Much as I'd love to see the team return to their glory days its a tough road back to them

• Advertisement
Advertisement