Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game stop Giving me agression!

• 14-10-2009 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hey guys, Usually I love Game stop up in Merch quay. Good games good prices n good service.

But last saturday I bought a Limited edition pre-owned copy of Gears of war 2. €25 not bad deal like but when I get home the game won't load past the past the logo.. Xbox reads cannot read disk please clean so I do n same ****, I also got The new batman game (Which rocks) And it works fine as well as all my other xbox games. So no problems with my xbox.
    (N I lay my xbox flat, not standing)

So i bring the disk back n Ur man says no problem gets another copy n goes into the back n puts it on the t.v to check it for me.. looks fine on the t.v in the store so i say kewl thanks n on home to play gears of war 2! allas same ****. Wont read the disk ( This game was way way more scratched than the last also... )

Is it possibly My xbox? or am I being screwed over by games stop here? :(

Getting a refund today.. Know anywhere where I can get my hands on Gears of war 2 new??? Smiths maybe r sumthing?

Cos i'm dying to play this game :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

'twas only €20 new in Xtravison a while back anyway, don't know if it was permanent or a special offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Do you not think that it was a bit strange that it worked on the console in the shop and not on yours? Did you actually see him running it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Kerikosan wrote: »
    So i bring the disk back n Ur man says no problem gets another copy n goes into the back n puts it on the t.v to check it for me.. looks fine on the t.v in the store so i say kewl thanks n on home to play gears of war 2! allas same ****. Wont read the disk ( This game was way way more scratched than the last also... )
    Did he get a different copy, other than the one you had bought, and test that?
    Did you see your copy running past the point where it stalls on your XBox on their XBox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Where's the agression in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I picked up Gears of War 2 in Xtravision pre-owned a couple of weeks back for €15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

EDIT : I see your in cork, sorry....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Nah, he went into the back room then came out with a controller n played it on the t.v in the room outside.. so i didnt see him using the disk he was selling to me like.. Bad form!

So it could have been a switch like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

In fairness you didnt see him switching copies so chances are he didnt. More likely a problem with your DVD drive.

Could have easily been switched.

Either way, go back in, and tell them it doesn't work on your console, and that you would like another copy or you'll be asking for a refund and you'll get a copy somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

why would he switch copies how would it benefit him

that doesn't even make sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭cml387

It's a bit hit and miss with pre-owned. Is the CD obviously scratched?
    I got a new copy of Dead Space in Xtravision in Fermoy today for 10 euro, so older games can be heavily discounted.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    why would he switch copies how would it benefit him

that doesn't even make sense
    Maybe he didn't want to have to go through the hassle of having to exchange the game. Or having unusable stock returned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

LD 50 wrote: »
    Maybe he didn't want to have to go through the hassle of having to exchange the game. Or having unusable stock returned.

what would be the point the customer would just come back again with the broken game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It's not you, used to work in Gamestop in Tralee, quality control on second hand discs was pretty bad, Gamestop doesn't use anything to clean them, just takes them and files them away. You should go to Smyths, they have disc cleaners (used to work there too!) which are used on every game that is traded in 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

I'd say it's your console. Rather than going back again why not bung it in a mate's Xbox then you can rule Gamestop out if it works? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

I'd say it's your console. Rather than going back again why not bung it in a mate's Xbox then you can rule Gamestop out if it works? :D

The only scratches a console may make, is nicely neat perfectly circular rings all around the disk, random scratches across the disk is from people being careless with the disk. Just thought id add that as i didnt see anyone making the distinction.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    The only scratches a console may make, is nicely neat perfectly circular rings all around the disk, random scratches across the disk is from people being careless with the disk. Just thought id add that as i didnt see anyone making the distinction.;)

Thats if its the scratches causing the problem. The laser on the DVD drive could be the fault which is why I'd say it's best to try it in a friend's console. Unless he is seeing the circles of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Twenty quid for Gears 2 in Smyths last time I was in work! Very good chance there was a switch in Gamestop, he'd have been expecting you to be too lazy to return back a second time as most Irish consumers are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Note to everyone when you buy a used game look at the shiney side if its covered in scratches tell them you wont take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

I did, went to two of my mates one just got a new xbox n the other friend had his a year or so. and it didnt work on either.. and ive bought 3 new xbox games and my Xbox's dvd drive is perfect, All my old and new games run perfectly.

So Got 2 different copys of the game n they didn't work. went back and was only given a €25 voucher..

So i bought 2 brand new games from there, Happy out but still--

***NEVER BUYING PRE-OWNED GAMES FROM GAMESTOP AGAIN***

they should test every game and equipment traded in to see if it works, its stupid trying to flog Broken games to loyal customers like.

BAD FORM!

• Advertisement
Advertisement