Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Should I just move to France, then look for a job?"

Options
  • 14-10-2009 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

ok, so here's the conundrum. Eventually, I would like to live in France, but I get folk saying "move there, then look for a job". I don't want to risk that for the simple reason that I could go there, be unemployed, then have to move back to Ireland. I would prefer to secure work before going.
    People are also saying "they won't even look at your CV with an Irish address on it, they will chuck it in the bin".

Agree/Disagree?

Catch 22 situation....:confused::(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

How long could you live there without a job on your savings?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

As AARRRGH said it does depend on how much time you can spend over here before you run out of cash.

I came to Paris in 1998 with no French and no job. I found one after about 2 weeks with a software company that needed someone who spoke English but didn't really care about not having French.
    It took about 12 months before I could have a 1-on-1 conversation with another person and not wet myself :)

It's always possible to come over, get some bar work which pays the rent and then look for jobs while over here.

I employed about 12 people last year and as long as they didn't have visa problems (as people from europe don't) then I didn't discard anyone.

What do you do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

A friend of mine works in an Irish bar in Rennes. I was over there a few months ago and everyone working in the bar was from Ireland or the UK. Very few of them spoke any French when they moved to Rennes - they just got a job in the bar and winged it a bit.

Assuming you have a few months living expenses, I reckon you should take the risk and head over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Ponster wrote: »
    As AARRRGH said it does depend on how much time you can spend over here before you run out of cash.

I came to Paris in 1998 with no French and no job. I found one after about 2 weeks with a software company that needed someone who spoke English but didn't really care about not having French.
    It took about 12 months before I could have a 1-on-1 conversation with another person and not wet myself :)

It's always possible to come over, get some bar work which pays the rent and then look for jobs while over here.

I employed about 12 people last year and as long as they didn't have visa problems (as people from europe don't) then I didn't discard anyone.

What do you do ?

I speak French pretty well (I'd like to think anyway). I currently work in online marketing but have done some technical writing before (technical translating).
    Just spent a week in Nantes topping up the old lingo.
    I spent a few years on and off on the dole in Ireland, and it really did my head in. I would love NOT to go back to that situation again, or be in a job I hate just to be somewhere else. But maybe that's what has to be done, the sacrifice...

I remember going to Italy in 1999, with no Italian, and got a job teaching English within a month of arriving. I was lucky as I was prepared to cut my losses and go home....

I'd also love to go the West of France, but I would imagine jobs would be harder to come by (e.g. in Nantes, Biarritz...along the coast...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sunflower!

Are you in full time employment? did you know if you are claiming your stamps you can go for 3 months and get paid the irish amount while there! it is the same for any EU country. there was a lot of moaning about it there recently but for people who cant find work here and need to try their luck elsewhere it can be a bit of a safety net

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

yeah, I am in full time employment and didn't know that...

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

I am trying to go over to France aswell with the intention of going for a year (after xmas) and learning the language. Worked there for 1 year (2 periods of six months over 2 years) but because I just dealt with Irish and English I learnt F*** all french. But then I went to college in Grenoble for 3 months. In them months I learnt more french then ever before and my French lecturer said I was the most improved out of all the class!

So anyway... How about doing up a French CV??? I am not good enough to do a CV correct in French. Samm things like how to post my qualifications on it are tricky... ie: what is the french equivalent, etc. Is there a service that will do the CV for you? How much?

Advertisement