Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP question for h. dip. (post) in education

Options
  • 14-10-2009 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hiya,

I've been looking through the PAC site pages and other university sites and can't find the answer to my question. I taught english in a french university after i graduated. This may be a stupid question but does anyone know if that counts as teaching practice when applying for the h. dip for post primary teaching or does it have to be experience in the subject you would like to teach in a second level school?

Would appreciate any help or even a pointer to a page with has relevant info.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

id say that if you can document that it was teaching experience and not teaching assistant then it should be accepted.i don't think it has to be in the subject you are applying for.you will have to get proof from the french university of exact dates and hours that you were teaching there.id definitely put it in and sure if for some reason they don't accept it then better to have tried.

for the trinity and dcu course they do not have the same points system so any teaching experience or working with children/teenagers will help boost your application

This is from last years handbook
    SECTION E (relevant experience) - should only be completed by applicants who have at least 50 hours teaching experience. If an applicant has such experience, in order to be considered, the teaching experience needs to have been undertaken in a classroom situation over a significant period of time (at least 50 hours). One-to-one grinds or working as a classroom assistant will NOT be considered to be teaching experience. The only teaching experience eligible for points is that which has been completed by 01 December 2008. This applies to both Standard and Late Applications. It is advisable that you obtain documentary evidence of this well in advance of offers being issued by PDEAC in April 2009. It is not necessary to have teaching experience prior to submitting an application.
    The right is reserved to seek further information about qualifications or clarification of information already supplied.

Additional information thus elucidated will be considered to form part of the application. However, it will not be possible to consider any additional claims regarding Teaching Experience after offers have been issued. For those completing Section E, authentication of your teaching experience by the school authority of the relevant school(s) will also be required. You will have to get the Principal(s) in the school(s) to state the actual number of hours taught. It is important to note that you should not over-estimate your teaching hours since this will result in an offer being withdrawn later if your claim cannot be authenticated. Please note that no more than 1 Point can be allocated for teaching experience gained during the years of undergraduate study.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lorna

Thanks a million smallgarden for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

hi

as said above, has to be at least 50 hours, and once you have documentation to back it up, then it's fine.

Advertisement