Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use a simcard to text without a phone

• 14-10-2009 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Lo all,
    I've been asked to see is there a way to use a simcard without a phone. The client (friend of my father) would be using the simcard only to send texts. So was wondering if those USB dongles could be of any use?

Or is there anything I could I use.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Web texts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

the_syco wrote: »
    Lo all,
    I've been asked to see is there a way to use a simcard without a phone. The client (friend of my father) would be using the simcard only to send texts. So was wondering if those USB dongles could be of any use?

Or is there anything I could I use.

You could use a dongle or a gsm modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

i used to be able to send texts from a ZTE 622 but i dunno if all dongles support it. i have another thing (GlobeSurfer II wifi router) that won't send them. but a gsm modem should do it alright, knew a lad last year using one of these to send sms for his project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Web texts?
    Nah. Looking to use the €20 a month "free texts" to mass text 500 numbers in a club info (usually about upcoming matches, green fee;s, etc). Vodafone max is 5000, and o2 is 15000, according to their "fair usage" policy. At the moment, they're using a service which costs them X amount each time they send 500 messages, which ain't cheap.
    Dankoozy wrote: »
    i used to be able to send texts from a ZTE 622 but i dunno if all dongles support it. i have another thing (GlobeSurfer II wifi router) that won't send them. but a gsm modem should do it alright, knew a lad last year using one of these to send sms for his project
    Will look into i.

=-=

Does anyone know if I could use the simcard slot within the laptop for this? Not sure what it's for, but I've seen the slot in most of the new laptops.

most new laptops? only very few laptops have a sim card slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

again though, whats up witht the web texts? ok they might not come off the free texts but you normally get around 300 free, + 20euro buys another 200ish..

Or what about using any ol crappy phone that can hooked up to a comp/laptop, get one from a brand that comes with a decent desktop application

you can write a simple python script or vb app to send AT commands to the phone for SMS. but some phones like recent Nokias won't send SMS from AT commands so you'd have to run the script on the phone itself. this would be almost the same as using a GSM modem except the GSM modem is pretty much guaranteed to support those AT commands

Advertisement