Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptops in library

Options
  • 14-10-2009 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Well guys

Just wondering if anybody here would leave a laptop unattended in the library particularly health sciences ? For anybody that does do you use a laptop lock like kensington ? Just interested to hear because it would be great to be able to leave laptop and a few books in library when i go for lunch or a lecture. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

You shouldnt occupy a space when you are going to a lecture. Come exam time your stuff will be removed to free up the spot. I would never leave a laptop unattended in the library

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Lots of people leave their laptops unattended in the library, which is irresponsible. Anybody could just walk up and take them. And it has happened in the past. There was one guy who wasn't a student but had somehow managed to acquire a student card and would go into the library and take laptops, ipods, MP3s that students had left unattended. He was eventually caught by a group of students who challenged him, called UCD security (who wanted to let him go :rolleyes:) and the guards, who, when they arrived, arrested him. When they searched his apartment they found lots of laptops, etc. that had been stolen from UCD. So it's really not a good idea to leave your laptop, etc. lying around the library.

Regarding leaving books, etc. at your desk: that's not so much of an issue, and is done very frequently. Yes, it's really annoying during exam time, but I don't think there's a student in UCD who hasn't done it! And chances are your stuff will only be moved around exam time if you've been away from your desk for more than an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Please don't abandon your stuff in the library, it's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Yep, perfectly safe, feel free to leave it there for a few hours. Where did you say you'll be sitting again...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

I don't want to open another thread so i'll just ask this question here. Is there anywhere in UCD i'll be able to get a locker at this stage ? Health sciences is full up. Any other buildings close by ? Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Try Engineering - bit of a trek but I think they're not all in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Today was horribly frustrating, the one time I actually needed a desk with a plug, they were all taken, but only 3/4s of those desks had people at them, pricks who study for an hour and then ditch all there stuff and fúck off to a lecture.....ARGH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

my brother got his laptop stolen from the library last year when he left it unattended for 10 mins. Dont take the chance, even if you're just going for a wee wee.

Fad wrote: »
    Today was horribly frustrating, the one time I actually needed a desk with a plug, they were all taken, but only 3/4s of those desks had people at them, pricks who study for an hour and then ditch all there stuff and fúck off to a lecture.....ARGH

If a desk is unattended for over 30 minutes you are free to clear the contents of the desk. Although I havent had the balls to do it you are will within your rights to do it.

ant043 wrote: »
    I don't want to open another thread so i'll just ask this question here. Is there anywhere in UCD i'll be able to get a locker at this stage ? Health sciences is full up. Any other buildings close by ? Thanks again.

I have one in the arts building i dont really have a need for. Send me a pm if you want it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

If a desk is unattended for over 30 minutes you are free to clear the contents of the desk. Although I havent had the balls to do it you are will within your rights to do it.
    For extra points clear it by dropping stuff from a height.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

If you take up a spot with a plug and fcuk off to a lecture, I'll steal your laptop!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Wouldn't you have to wait for the 30mins then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

You shouldnt occupy a space when you are going to a lecture. Come exam time your stuff will be removed to free up the spot. I would never leave a laptop unattended in the library

I've never actually seen this being enforced. The most annoying thing is when somebody reserves a desk (generally with a plug too) and just disappears for a few hours - only to return and pack up and leave. What's the goddamn point if they're not doing any study?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i did once,in the small laptop area behind the pc room in the health science lib :pac:

and the med girl cried:'why dont you take the other's seat?'

i chose to 'rob' her seat caused she actually has no laptop on the table but only few books and exactly 5 pieces of her notes.and oh did i mention she left the seat for about 1hr??

i showed her my ZOMG face and left silently like a gentleman.

the lesson?i will wait exactly 30mins and take the stuffs of the person to the reception desk next time :'oh i found these books and laptop on the table,someone must have forgetten about them so i just bring them to you in case somebody steal them'

F*ck selfish b*stards!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Notorious wrote: »
    I've never actually seen this being enforced. The most annoying thing is when somebody reserves a desk (generally with a plug too) and just disappears for a few hours - only to return and pack up and leave. What's the goddamn point if they're not doing any study?

I saw it being enforced a few years ago around exam time. The library guards went around at 10am putting notices on all the desks in the library that had stuff on them but weren't occupied. They then came back around at 11am, gave the people who had arrived back a telling off, and moved the stuff from the desks that still weren't occupied. Cue a lot of confused and annoyed students arriving back 2 or 3 hours later! And this was in the pre laptop days, so there was no competition for desks with plugs around them, either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

During exam time its really sly to leave you space with your laptop for over an hour unoccupied, but often i have to eat lunch so i leave my laptop there, its not really fair to call it selfish if you came in at 9 that morning just to get a laptop space when others come strolling in at 3 or so expecting to get a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭FishTaco

During exam time its really sly to leave you space with your laptop for over an hour unoccupied, but often i have to eat lunch so i leave my laptop there, its not really fair to call it selfish if you came in at 9 that morning just to get a laptop space when others come strolling in at 3 or so expecting to get a space.

+1

At exam time, and most other times, Im in the library at half eight to make sure I get a space with a plug. How is it fair for someone to roll about of bed at 12 and slope in to the library and expect to take my place because I've dared to take half an hour for lunch, especially if Im intending to come back and stay there until half 6 or 7

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

How is it fair for someone to roll about of bed at 12 and slope in to the library and expect to take my place because I've dared to take half an hour for lunch, especially if Im intending to come back and stay there until half 6 or 7

is it acceptable to leave your laptop in a parking space in the car park to keep the space while you nip off for lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

FishTaco wrote: »
    +1

At exam time, and most other times, Im in the library at half eight to make sure I get a space with a plug. How is it fair for someone to roll about of bed at 12 and slope in to the library and expect to take my place because I've dared to take half an hour for lunch, especially if Im intending to come back and stay there until half 6 or 7
    It's perfectly fair. You should only get to use that desk for the time you're actually there. If you leave your laptop there for the hour then you're taking an hour from somebody else.

Besides, you getting up early shouldn't entitle you to a prize considering people run on different schedules. Also, that would mean you've already spent some time at that desk and that it's time to give somebody else a fair go at it anyway.

• Advertisement

i am not sure if this is the exact kind of typical irish attitude that people use it to see things generally - it is AWFUL.it is selfish and narrowminded.

whats wrong with 'when others come strolling in at 3 or so expecting to get a space.'??

what time you come in has nothing to do with 'fair' or 'unfair' of leaving the seat unoccupied for a long time - a wasted seat is a wasted seat.
    as you said,is Exams time!not just you need to study!
    everyone needs to study!

p/s:hehe,you reminded me of that crying med girl :D

FishTaco wrote: »
    +1

hehe,your post smells like 'lazy people you dont have any right to talk' lol

what if i am telling you that,i woke up at 6am,study mad till noon,lunch(i am poor i cant even afford tin foil to cover up my homemade sandwich to bring to school and no i dont have a tupperware since i cant even afford tin foil),and then walk to library for study at 3pm,and i am so determined to study till 11pm.

what did i do wrong here to deserve of i cant get a seat in library due to i am 'late' to library??:(

imagine that.

thanks to your reply,now i have no fear at all to do what i have to do next time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 hellojello

They used to put notices on the desks with a time on them saying that they had been around at that time and supposidly were gonna come back 30 mins later to clear them off if the sign was still there! This was a few years ago! I never saw them actualy clear a desk, i think it was more to scare people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

That or they're on ****ing Facebook....or boards....(I'm on a SUAS machine :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Every exam time I have seen the notices but I have never seen the books actually being moved.

convert wrote: »
    I saw it being enforced a few years ago around exam time. The library guards went around at 10am putting notices on all the desks in the library that had stuff on them but weren't occupied. They then came back around at 11am, gave the people who had arrived back a telling off, and moved the stuff from the desks that still weren't occupied. Cue a lot of confused and annoyed students arriving back 2 or 3 hours later! And this was in the pre laptop days, so there was no competition for desks with plugs around them, either!

I generally only use a normal desk, which are obviously in short supply, but theres no way I am going to go through the whole search for a new desk after lunch if I have been in since half-8.

One hour for lunch is fine IMO.
    Anything more is taking the piss.

Have to question how many of you actually need the laptops everytime they are in the library.

There's a guy in front of me taking up a plug so he can play solitaire..........

Total fúckhead..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

There's a guy in front of me taking up a plug so he can play solitaire..........

Total fúckhead..........
    Sorry...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Total fúckhead..........

Theres a guy infront of me bitching on boards

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Theres a guy infront of me bitching on boards

You never told me you were a wall..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

You never told me you were a wall..........

That was a chance i had to take :P

Advertisement