Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptops in library

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

noodler wrote: »

I generally only use a normal desk, which are obviously in short supply, but theres no way I am going to go through the whole search for a new desk after lunch if I have been in since half-8.

One hour for lunch is fine IMO.
    Anything more is taking the piss.

Have to question how many of you actually need the laptops everytime they are in the library.

Agree with all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Chet T16 wrote: »
    That was a chance i had to take :P

Absolutely. Never let the facts get in the way of a potential zing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

any opinions of the ettiquette of this? i've been in the library working (and pissing around on boards obviously) since 1ish, its now 4.30 and im starving. The library isnt very busy, i can see several desks with plugs available around the place. Is it fair to go to the resteraunt for 30mins or so and leave my stuff here? I may take my laptop out of thief fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Library nowhere near as busy today alright, I assume most people have submitted their mid-semester essays by now. I say go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

lucky bastards, most of mine are still due.
    I went and ate and have returned. Laptop was still here, desk with plug beside me still empty. Success!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Raemie wrote: »
    any opinions of the ettiquette of this? i've been in the library working (and pissing around on boards obviously) since 1ish, its now 4.30 and im starving. The library isnt very busy, i can see several desks with plugs available around the place. Is it fair to go to the resteraunt for 30mins or so and leave my stuff here? I may take my laptop out of thief fear.

That's fine, just dont piss off for hours when it's busy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Without starting an arguement, if your laptop is Kensignton'd to a laptop desk, can they remove it?

I totally agree with the posters who bother to get up at 7 to be there at 8.30. If you pop out for lunch, why should someone who rolled in at 12 get your desk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

ironclaw wrote: »
    Without starting an arguement, if your laptop is Kensignton'd to a laptop desk, can they remove it?

I totally agree with the posters who bother to get up at 7 to be there at 8.30. If you pop out for lunch, why should someone who rolled in at 12 get your desk?
    Wy would you assume that because I operate on a different schedule I am doing any less work or am any less motivated. Not everyone is an early bird, I study far better in the evenings and into the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

33% God wrote: »
    Not everyone is an early bird, I study far better in the evenings and into the night.
    Ditto, I work far better late in the day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭FishTaco

33% God wrote: »
    Wy would you assume that because I operate on a different schedule I am doing any less work or am any less motivated. Not everyone is an early bird, I study far better in the evenings and into the night.

Your work ethic or motivation wasn't questioned. Plenty of people aren't early birds but make the effort to arrive in early to get a space when they have a bit of work to do, it's not that difficult really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

FishTaco wrote: »
    Your work ethic or motivation wasn't questioned. Plenty of people aren't early birds but make the effort to arrive in early to get a space when they have a bit of work to do, it's not that difficult really.

Agreed. I never got the whole "I work better at such and such a time" If you can't work in the morning, the job prospects arn't too good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Agreed. I never got the whole "I work better at such and such a time" If you can't work in the morning, the job prospects arn't too good :)

Hahaha brilliant! I have always thought the same. Often it is just people who are up half the night claiming this mysterious "work better late" theory. Had a friend who was always using that line, annoyed the hell out of me! Go to bed before 1 for a change!

I agree it is annoying to give up a seat when you get in early, it is frustrating. But at busy times it is much more annoying to see rows of empty desks with laptops. So only if it is not busy would I say it is OK to leave your stuff (but always bring your valuables especially the latop!!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

FishTaco wrote: »
    So, that doesn't entitle them to leave the space unoccupied.
    Use the space while you are there, if you have to take a half hour to grab some food then fine, but not leaving it reserved for hours at a time.
    Work and study are not the same thing. I can work in the mornings when I need to, I just find it easier to read and retain information later on in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

its not really fair to call it selfish if you came in at 9 that morning just to get a laptop space when others come strolling in at 3 or so expecting to get a space.

People live/work by different schedules. When you arrived in at nine perhaps the other person was at work or had kids to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

The UCD "law" on this is you can leave your desk unoccupied for 30 minutes isn't it? Think thats about fair, gives someone time to look for books, grab a quick sandwich in the shop or take a particularly enjoyable poo. Would be unfair to rush these things, particularly the last.

If you're taking longer than half an hour then you're most likely dossing and that's not fair for someone else who needs the space.

Advertisement