Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new blood rules

• 14-10-2009 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

whats the story with bringing a heifer to the mart ... how long does she have to be in test

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Still 30 days AFAIK, but I'm not 100% sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

rules not changed since last month!

The changes announced by the Minister include
    • an increase in the age threshold for annual round testing to 24 months;
    • an increase in the validity period of the pre-movement test from 30 days to 60 days;
    • an increase in the age-limit for the pre-movement test for female animals from 12 to 18 months and, in view of the lower risk attached to their movement, to 24 months for bulls;
    • the pre-movement test "one sale" rule applying to female cattle aged 18 months or more is retained. However, as a result of the change in age threshold for bulls, the "one sale" rule for bulls is being increased from 12 to 24 months.
    These changes to the brucellosis programme will be implemented with effect from 9th September 2009.

In addition, the extension of the pre-movement test to 60 days combined with the increase in the age threshold to 18 months for female animals will result in further significant savings for farmers.

from departments website!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

ya I can confirm the 18month rule for heifers anyway as i recently brought some in that category to mart without blood test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ok i have 2 pedigree angus heifers that wont go in calf got coils etc .. they are as fat as fools i will be cut in the factory for this are over 30 months so wont go for kepak aa scheme i am tempted to bring them to local mart they where last tested in march i would sell themas not being for breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭bagaspuds

Am I right in saying that weanlings that were born after my annual herd test at the end of May can't be sold without TB testing them?
    I have 4 which means a vet call-out just to test 4 weanlings....crazy !:mad:
    This is the first year this has happened to me. Next year I'll wait until all cows are calved before calling the Vet for the annual test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

bagaspuds wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that weanlings that were born after my annual herd test at the end of May can't be sold without TB testing them?
    I have 4 which means a vet call-out just to test 4 weanlings....crazy !:mad:
    This is the first year this has happened to me. Next year I'll wait until all cows are calved before calling the Vet for the annual test.
    once they are over a month old i think they have to be tested..could be wrong

Advertisement