Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed

Options
  • 14-10-2009 1:30pm

Hi all,

I have a few friends over from Sweden & Holland until next Monday and I am just looking for suggestions on where to bring them around the city? I have a few good ideas already, Guinness brewery, Kilmainham & just the basic sites around the city centre.

Anything anyone can recommend? Also when they arrived on Monday I brought them to some bar that was recommended to me with the basic ballads etc and they actually really enjoyed it so any recommendation of places to go until next Monday with the same kind of music would be appreciated. I presume I'll have to get them to experience Coppers at some stage too haha. Also any clubs that people know that have good drink offers over the next few days would be helpful too! Might go to Diceys tonight for the €2 a drink appeal.

Cheers in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Not exactly letting them see the diddly eye look at the leprechauns Ireland, but
    Oktoberfest could be good, and look at those barmaids!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

The Ghostbus is great craic but a little steep at €25 a head.

Not exactly letting them see the diddly eye look at the leprechauns Ireland, but
    Oktoberfest could be good, and look at those barmaids!!!

Totally forgot this was on.... shocking form by me
    6th wrote: »
    The Ghostbus is great craic but a little steep at €25 a head.

Yeah heard this is actually great craic Mark, how does one go about booking it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Yeah heard this is actually great craic Mark, how does one go about booking it?

see here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Sounds like you have it wrapped up Kag, you could send them off on the Dart to Howth for native oysters and a glass of white wine. (you can feed the seals too)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

The Old Jameson Distillery in Smithfield is supposed to be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

lightening wrote: »
    Sounds like you have it wrapped up Kag, you could send them off on the Dart to Howth for native oysters and a glass of white wine. (you can feed the seals too)

Send them out on Sunday so they can catch the Farmers Market in the harbour. I think the Bloody Stream might have trad on that day too, but not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

+1

It beats me why more people don't make the trip out to Howth.

Personally its one of my favourite places in Dublin, although recently I've found the Farmers Market to be a hit & miss affair.

I LOVE The Bloody Stream pub.

OP if your considering Howth and your visitors are up for it, take them on a cliff walk from the harbour to the summit car park - on a nice day its beautiful with stunning cliff view's.

Some photos from Howth..

attachment.php?attachmentid=93214&stc=1&d=1255528774

attachment.php?attachmentid=93216&stc=1&d=1255528859

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

All my Swedish friends love both of these places.

sunday is the best day for howth with the Market and walk around the head (depending on the weather) is always good.

The Old Jameson Distillery in Smithfield is a far better tour than Guinness and make sure to tell them to put up their hand a as volunteer at the start of the presntation / before the tour (they get to taste a lot of whiskey that way).

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

+1

It beats me why more people don't make the trip out to Howth.

The f?&*ing weekend traffic when the weather's even slightly good:mad: Get the DART if you do come out (30 mins journey).
    Personally its one of my favourite places in Dublin, although recently I've found the Farmers Market to be a hit & miss affair.

I LOVE The Bloody Stream pub.

OP if your considering Howth and your visitors are up for it, take them on a cliff walk from the harbour to the summit car park - on a nice day its beautiful with stunning cliff view's.

Also the Deerpark, Howth Castle, Transport Museum.

Sunsets from the Pier House pub or Martello tower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

Have a walk around the spire. Head up to Stephens's Green or Francis Street or something.

Or even better, get the bus to the top of the hill first, then walk down the cliffs ;)
    They have little walking maps for sale now too for €1. There is a tourist office down on the West Pier beside Aqua.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shels playing Athlone Town on Friday night at 8pm in Tolka Park, a must win game for Shels so should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭WhoseView: Michael

Diceys,Crawdaddy, Coppers all pretty good although can get messy. O'Donoghues on Merrion Row is great for the music and great atmosphere. For the best pint of Guinness it would have to be Long Hall or Mulligans. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055669879 check out post 50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

have you thought about bringing them to the chester beaty library in dublin castle? they have some really amazing collections there, including one of the largest collections of old Qur-ans (sp?) in the world, this might sound a bit random but they are beautiful books...
    across from dublin castle is queen of tarts which is a real dublin treat!
    the hugh lane gallery is wonderful and has a lovely cafe too....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Book of Kells/Trinity College

Viking Splash tour

Phoenix Park (free)

Ashtown Castle in the Park (free)

Farmleigh (free) Very good tour!

Collins Barracks (free/donation)

National Gallery

The Zoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

Connolly Station and Busaras.

James Joyce Statue or South William Street.

Cheers for the suggestions all.

Brought them to the Guinness brewery today anyway. The Gravity bar is class! Went on the piss after and was ****ing hilarious. They couldn't believe the €2 a drink. Sweden & Holland is apparently really expensive beer wise?(I was in Holland last year & I dont really recall the prices :o ).

Howth seems to be a good shout, will do that tomorrow.

If they would like seafood there are plenty of choices. The Oar House is one of the best and cheapest but I would recommend booking it. Casa Pasta is another good cheap eat, nice Italian cuisine. Aqua and Ivans are very good also, bit more pricey, although there is a seafood bar at the back of the Beshoff shop (not the chipper, th one beside Ivans) that does some oysters and wine. The best but most expensive is The King Sitric over by the East Pier.

There is also a lovely Pakistani restaurant called Okra Green and the Il Panorama cafe / wine bar next door do excellent coffees and snacks.

For Guinness, I would recommend the Abbey Tavern. Lovely cosy bar in an old stone building with turf fires.

There is a Radio Museum also in the Martello Tower, if they are interested.

Oh, and your Swedish friend might be interested to know The Bloody Stream was named after a battle with Vikings!

No, I don't work in the tourist office :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I think King Sitrics is terrible! Been there three times now and I just can't justify the price and the attitude there! Nice Gerald Scarfe original in the hall though! Sorry to disagree there Windsock...

The Oarhouse rocks though.

• Advertisement

I think King Sitrics is terrible! Been there three times now and I just can't justify the price and the attitude there! Nice Gerald Scarfe original in the hall though! Sorry to disagree there Windsock...

The Oarhouse rocks though.

Ah well. I guess either I got lucky or you got unlucky ;)

Advertisement