Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato pasta sauce - consistancy not right

Options
  • 14-10-2009 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Made my first home-made Arrabiata sauce yesterday:

600g passata
    2 cloves garlic
    Medium onion
    Salt & Pepper
    Teaspoon Chilli flakes
    Roasted red pepper (not strictly correct but I like it in the sauce)
    Good handful of fresh Basil

The flavour of the sauce was really lovely, which surprised me with so few ingredients. The only thing I wasn’t too keen on was the texture. After simmering for at least half an hour the sauce still had the consistency of the uncooked passata and didn’t really coat the pasta.

What can you add to a home made sauce to get a consistency similar to that of, for example, a Dolmio Stir-in sauce?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Made my first home-made Arrabiata sauce yesterday:

600g passata
    2 cloves garlic
    Medium onion
    Salt & Pepper
    Teaspoon Chilli flakes
    Roasted red pepper (not strictly correct but I like it in the sauce)
    Good handful of fresh Basil

The flavour of the sauce was really lovely, which surprised me with so few ingredients. The only thing I wasn’t too keen on was the texture. After simmering for at least half an hour the sauce still had the consistency of the uncooked passata and didn’t really coat the pasta.

What can you add to a home made sauce to get a consistency similar to that of, for example, a Dolmio Stir-in sauce?

low heat, at least 1 and 1/2 hour; if it's still 'runny' leave it on the hob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Will that give it a 'Ketchup/sauce' type of consistancy that will cling to the pasta?

would a bit or cornflour help?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Tomato puree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I make a sauce similar to your one and leave it simmer for at the very least an hour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I find passata too runny and get a better consistency with tinned tomatoes, but you need to add a teaspoon of sugar per tin. A squirt of puree definitely makes it richer too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭peepeep

I agree with what others have said - just leave it simmering (with the lid off, by the way) for 1/2 hour or so. It was reduce down and become thicker. Add the basil after you have reduced it so you don't lose the flavour and colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I wouldn't use passata either. Tinned tomatoes give a better texture and to smooth the sauce you just blend it down and it'll be lovely and unctious and will definitely stick to any pasta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Thanks guys - I will try regular tomatoes next time. That'll teach me for trying to be posh with passata!

Advertisement