Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avid reader would appreciate some book recommendations.

Options
  • 14-10-2009 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi All,

The last few books I've read I've absoltuely hated so looking for some recommendations. I am looking for: irreverent/biting, dark humour, dystopian or stark, strong prose. Favourite authors and books include: Catcher in the Rye, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Survivor, Fight Club and anything else by Chuck Palahniuk, Catch 22, On The Road, The Buddha of Suburbia, Lamb: The Story of the Gospel according to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. The Rum Diaries, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Lord of the Flies, Ask the Dust, The Sun Also Rises, The Rum Diary, The Adventures of Kavalier & Clay anything by Bukowski, particularly Post Office and Factotum. Similarly, nearly everything by the following
    Authors:
    Ayn Rand
    William S. Burroughs
    David Eggers
    Allen Ginsberg
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Tim O' Brien
    Aldous Huxley
    Mark Twain

Any recommendations at all would be fantastic.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

Hey Wilde,we've some similar taste so maybe I could suggest "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"? Oh,just reread your post,never mind. If you liked "The Rum Diary" you'll probably love it."In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote is an excellant read. Maybe "Closing Time",the sequel to "Catch 22"? I'm reading "Vernon Little God" at the moment,it's pretty enjoyable. If sci fi is your thing Philip K. Dick has some intriguing stuff,don't let the crappy film versions put you off. Hope that helps. Do post if you find anything,I could always use some suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

If you like humour and irreverence, pick up anything by Flann O'Brien for some virtuouso silly as well as some stunning prose. The Third Policeman is a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 skybluejay

Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor. Extremely dark humour, quite stark, strong prose - think it'd suit. It's Southern Gothic and very... unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote is an excellant read.

That was the first book that came to mind when I read the OP.

Great minds, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

This is an excellent blog

http://crimesceneni.blogspot.com/

Dystopian literature is very fashionable and vampires are particularly in vogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

If you like Hunter S. Thompson, try Fear and Loathing on the Campaign trail '72. I'm reading it now, finding it very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

If you like dark humour try Louis Ferdinand Celine's 'Death on the Installment Plan' or 'Journey to the End of the Night'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

For dark humour I would recommend American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. (It is incredibly dark. You have been warned!)

I assume you have read George Orwell's dystopian classic 1984. That's a personal favourite of mine. I think everyone should be forced to read that book!

I see you are a H.S.T fan. Have you read Hells Angels? A fun read throughout. Jam packed with interesting stories and characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I think you'd like A Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

Julesie wrote: »
    That was the first book that came to mind when I read the OP.

Great minds, eh?
    Great minds think alike and fools seldom differ,hehehe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wilde

Thanks so much for the recommendations.

Advertisement