Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oberstdorf Germany

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

donnchadhc wrote: »
    You can train it straight from the airport. www.bahn.de , great website.

Thats actually what I was looking at on the bahn website before.

The site says it take over 4hrs to get from Allgau Aiport Memmingen to Oberstdorf, and there's one train leaving at 1.30 and the next one after 4 o'clock. You have to do a few transfers too.

If you just go to the train station in Memmingen there's loads more trains, on e every hour or so.. and the trip lasts just over an hour.

So i'm guessing thats the way to go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 donnchadhc

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Do you not have to change in Munchen Pasing?

Yeah sorry, should be more clearer on that. You'll need to make a few changes. I should have said you can get train it from the airport to Oberstdorf. As for from Allegau Airport, I just booked the train from Memmingen, there's supposed to be buses every 15 minutes and if all else fails I'm sure we could just taxi it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Yeah sorry, should be more clearer on that. You'll need to make a few changes. I should have said you can get train it from the airport to Oberstdorf. As for from Allegau Airport, I just booked the train from Memmingen, there's supposed to be buses every 15 minutes and if all else fails I'm sure we could just taxi it.

your off tomorrow ???

your off tomorrow ???

Yeah, can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

From Munich Airport to Oberstdorf you take the S-bahn to munchen-pasing and there you join up with the train that goes direct from Munich to Oberstdorf. Iirc, that journey is just over 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Just been informed that my pension is now, 'not available'! Can anybody help??? Tried the oberstdorf tourism website and its not looking good. Any hotels from booking.com or other websites are showing the only availabllity is 30km away!

Arriving on the 26th december for 3 nights, flying home on 29th. Anything at all will do. Hostel, hotel, pension... anything will do. I'm not religious, so strolling around oberstdorf in the snow at christmas time looking for a stable doesn't appeal to me!
    (My gf is going to kill me!)

Just been informed that my pension is now, 'not available'! Can anybody help??? Tried the oberstdorf tourism website and its not looking good. Any hotels from booking.com or other websites are showing the only availabllity is 30km away!

Arriving on the 26th december for 3 nights, flying home on 29th. Anything at all will do. Hostel, hotel, pension... anything will do. I'm not religious, so strolling around oberstdorf in the snow at christmas time looking for a stable doesn't appeal to me!

The best bet is to ring the tourist office, they should help with a search...

Tourist-Information Oberstdorf Haus
    Prinzregenten-Platz 1, 87561 Oberstdorf, Germany
    0049-8322 700-0‎

Let them know you have been let down by the place you had booked !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

I cant help with Mmmm_Lemony's accommodation problem (sorry, but let us know how you get on) but thought I would brighten the place up with a pick or two

DSC07592.jpg

austriafromthesollerek.jpg

DSC07608.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

I've played this game many times hotels much prefer 7 day bookings ESP at peak time u may have to wait until the week of arrival to get late availability as a 3 night booking on busiest week of year is losing money for the hotel

If I could book 7 days I would, but its not looking like thats even possible. Might have to abort the skiing/boarding altogether and stay in Munich or maybe head elsewhere from Munich, like garmisch or something...It was only going to be 3 days on the slopes anyway so its not the end of the world but im still depressed! :( I'll just have to keep looking.

• Advertisement

Might have to abort the skiing/boarding altogether

Less of the CRAZY talk !!! something will come up, keep the faith :)

I've never been down that far in Germany, but I was thinking I could probably get something along the train line.

For example the train from Munchen Pasing probably stops in 5 or 6 different places before it hits oberstdorf and if I got a hotel in one of these places it might not be too bad.

I've also sourced a hotel in Oberstaufen which is on the train line from oberstdorf but not the same one that leads to pasing. Wondering how regular this would be. I wouldn't mind if I was sitting on a train for 30/40 minutes to get to the slopes if nothing else pans out. What you reckon?

i'm sorry I can't help but I just want to let you know that you'll still have a bus journey to get to the slopes after the train ride. Its not long but it might be the last think you want to do, Get off a train and jump onto a bus. It'll make your day very long if you're commuting to the slopes.

Just my 2c

Just out of curiosity, how often/regular are the buses to the slopes (Nebelhorn if possible)

The Nebelhorn lift is in the village although if you are going from the train station it is at the "top" of the village, about a 15 min walk from the train station, but the easiest way is to get a town bus, they run every 10 mins from outside the tourist office beside the train station.
    The sollereck (i think) is about 10 mins, I think they run every 20 mins in the morning, also from the bus station (behind the train station.)
    The fellhorn (i think) is about 20 mins, I think they run every 20 mins in the morning, also from the bus station.

As long as you have your board/ski gear with you every bus is free.

I'm looking into somewhere like fischen which is only a few minutes down the road, a bus every 10 or 20 minutes after a 30 minute train sounds grand! Fingers crossed!!!!

the buses to fellhorn go every 30 minutes in the morning and return every hour. I think that's up to 12:30. After that, they go to fellhorn every hour and return every half hour and I think the last one is at 5:30pm

I don't know the times for the rest but am_i_boovered wouldn't be far off.

Still haven't found what I'm lookin for but came across this site and its pretty good for showing you what is actually available, not just for germany either (sorry if this has been posted before)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Mmmm_Lemony if you are have problems getting accommodation in Oberstdorf why not look at other options in the Bayern Alpen, Kitzbulher Alpen or Salzbergerland esp as you fly to Munich and not Memmingen, you can also get the train from the airport and probably closer than Oberstdorf.

Maybe have Fischen as a back up if you can't get something closer as personally too many transport connections before I get up the mountain would drive me mad, but it's also good to have a roof over your head..

Having some translation problems booking through the website. I booked an apartment for 4 people at Haus Elite in January. Got through that fine and got an email with a pdf attachment that says this
    We would ask you politely ask your booking request
    to be confirmed immediately in writing. You can do this with pleasure by
    to fax number (08322) 969410 to do. You get
    followed directly from the hosts a booking confirmation.
    Payment is also done via the host. We wish
    You already have a pleasant stay in Oberstdorf

Can anyone who has booked through the oberstdorf.de site tell me do I have to get in contact with them to confirm the booking?

• Advertisement

Just fax the number with a reply confirming the reservation. Put your email and number on it and you'll get a reply back from them. I'm just back this evening, great place. Its small and but a real nice spot. Lovely alpine architecture and it was snowing the whole time we were there. The locals were saying that there's not much snow there yet (the snow cannons are on full time at the moment) and there are only some runs open but more are opening every day. One tip I would give is brush up on the German. There is some english but your life will be easier with the German.

Cheers Don, Haus Elite was actually doubled booked. So i got in contact with Stephanie Hindelang at the oberstdorf reservation centre and she helped me out with the booking.

Glad to hear you had a good time. Can't wait for January 13th now.

I'm just back this evening, great place. Its small and but a real nice spot. Lovely alpine architecture and it was snowing the whole time we were there. The locals were saying that there's not much snow there yet (the snow cannons are on full time at the moment) and there are only some runs open but more are opening every day.

I noticed that all the runs only opened as of today (tuesday), there certainly seemed to be enough snow over the weekend and the weather on sunday seemed quite nice, maybe they open the runs slowly over a few days.... something to keep in mind for the future.

There was only one run open up on the nebelhorn on Monday when I was up there, they had only just started working on it as thhe snow came late this year. With regards to the snow, yes there was enough snow, but the locals were saying that there's not as much around as there should be (only 50 mm as opposed to 2 meters) and the base wasn't great. Plenty on the slopes for us to thunder down so its all good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Thanks for all the good info here, am considering Oberstdorf for a long weekend in January.
    One question, I'm a bit of a piste basher,I like clocking up mileage without repeating runs. The website mentions 120km of pistes covered by the liftpass but careful reading suggests only about 40kms.
    Which is nearer the truth?

loobylou wrote: »
    Thanks for all the good info here, am considering Oberstdorf for a long weekend in January.
    One question, I'm a bit of a piste basher,I like clocking up mileage without repeating runs. The website mentions 120km of pistes covered by the liftpass but careful reading suggests only about 40kms.
    Which is nearer the truth?

the lift pass covers 4 areas Fellhorn / Kanzelwand, Nebelhorn, Walmendingerhorn, Ifen (i think also the sollereck ?? so maybe 5)
    I would about 80km of piste could be right but no chance of commuting around to them all in a weekend.
    I think there would be enough on the Fellhorn / Kanzelwand to keep you happy for a day, it is by far the biggest of all the resorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

TakeTheVeil, a group of us (7) will be in Oberstdorf from 14-18th if ya fancy a pint?

Haha, yeah sounds good. There's a group of 8 of us going too. The Irish bar is gonna do some business that weekend i'd imagine.

we are in Oberstdorf from the 12th ~ 19th ..... :D cannot wait

• Advertisement

you shower of sh1tes!! I'm not going till Feb 16th !!! GRRRR Super Jealous!!

Advertisement