Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oberstdorf Germany

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Thanks Taketheveil, from reading previous replies I think you took the same ryanair morning flight (9.20) as we are planning on taking, approximately what time did you reach the resort, and did you have enough time to organise ski hire or did you have to leave it to the following morning?

Our flight was delayed quite a bit so we didn't get in to Oberstdorf until around 5.30.

If you wanna get there as early as possible, you might as well get a taxi from the airport to the train station as it's pretty close. Think it works out around 10euro..which is the same as 4 people getting the bus.

If you're checking in bags, they'll be there when you get through basically, so there's really no delays once you get off the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Never been to Germany! so, their world famous efficency is actually true then!

Hell yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

ShayK1 wrote: »
    What dates are you going in Feb?
    Fasching is on from something like Feb 11 to 15th or maybe 17th so if you are going within that time frame, I'd suggest prebooking. Otherwise, just walk in and they'll sort you out.

we're going Feb 3-7 (if God spares us) should miss the fasching thingy!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

Our flight was delayed quite a bit so we didn't get in to Oberstdorf until around 5.30.

If you wanna get there as early as possible, you might as well get a taxi from the airport to the train station as it's pretty close. Think it works out around 10euro..which is the same as 4 people getting the bus.

If you're checking in bags, they'll be there when you get through basically, so there's really no delays once you get off the flight.

cheers for info, our group numbers 8, so 2 taxis will suit.

Somebody might find this useful

Karneval 2010 / Fastnacht 2010

Weiberfastnacht Do. 11. Februar
    Rosenmontag Mo. 15. Februar
    Veilchendienstag Di 16. Februar
    Aschermittwoch Mi. 17. Februar

Karneval 2011
    Weiberfastnacht Do. 03. März
    Rosenmontag Mo. 07. März
    Veilchendienstag Di 08. März
    Aschermittwoch Mi. 09. März

Karneval 2012
    Weiberfastnacht Do. 16. Februar
    Rosenmontag Mo. 20. Februar
    Veilchendienstag Di 21. Februar
    Aschermittwoch Mi. 22. Februar

Karneval 2013
    Weiberfastnacht Do. 07. Februar
    Rosenmontag Mo. 11. Februar
    Veilchendienstag Di 12. Februar
    Aschermittwoch Mi. 13. Februar

Karneval 2014
    Weiberfastnacht Do. 27. Februar
    Rosenmontag Mo. 03. März
    Veilchendienstag Di 04. März
    Aschermittwoch Mi. 05. März

Karneval 2015
    Weiberfastnacht Do. 12. Februar
    Rosenmontag Mo. 16. Februar
    Veilchendienstag Di 17. Februar
    Aschermittwoch Mi. 18. Februar

Karneval 2016
    Weiberfastnacht Do. 04. Februar
    Rosenmontag Mo. 08. Februar
    Veilchendienstag Di 09. Februar
    Aschermittwoch Mi. 10. Februar

http://www.karneval.com/go/kalender/Karnevalstermin-2008-2016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Hi all,
    Got back home last night from a great weeks skiing. It was the first time we flew into Memmingen so I can answer a few Qs
    LOTTOWINNER Thanks Taketheveil, from reading previous replies I think you took the same ryanair morning flight (9.20) as we are planning on taking, approximately what time did you reach the resort, and did you have enough time to organise ski hire or did you have to leave it to the following morning?

We got to Gemany at 12.35, Memmingen is smaller tham Knock Airport !!! our luggage was waiting for us, the bus to the train station is €2.50 p/p it takes about 20 mins. We shared a cab with another passenger it was €10 it took about 10 mins. It makes no difference time wise as, you will have lots of time to get your ticket etc as the train leaves memmingem at 1.40 there is one change at Kempton which will be printed on your info sheet you will get when you buy your train ticket. The train gets to Oberstdorf at 2.55.

On the way home we got the 9am train leaving Oberstdorf, one change in Kempton and arrived in Memmingem at 10.35am got the bus to the airport, arrived at 11.55 for the 1pm flight.

If its a group don't forget to check out the Bayern ticket.

In Memmingem airport they weighed everyones hand luggage so make sure you are ok in that regard.

We brought our ski boots through both airports as hand luggage no problems.

LOTTOWINNER...... I think you should maybe consider a mini bus from the airport to Oberstdorf, we were talking to a family and they got a taxi for 6 people at €100 each way, they said it took an hour.
    Originally Posted by LOTTOWINNER
    approximately what time did you reach the resort, and did you have enough time to organise ski hire or did you have to leave it to the following morning?

You will have lots of time for ski hire etc.
    We went for a ski :D but it was a rush, we arrived at 2.55 got the key for our appartment from stephanie blattner, unpacked our gear, threw our luggage into a locker at the train station and got on the bus for the Sollereck at 3.25, we had an hours skiing which cost €12.50 each, great for finding your feet. If you have to rent gear it probably would not work out.
    TakeTheVeil
    Got back yesterday and I had a blast. Lucked out with the weather for the first 3 days of skiing, absolutely beautiful. Heavy fog restricted us on the last day unfortunately.
    I find if the weather is poor the best place to go is Reizlern, you can get there by bus (I think its the Sollereck bus) or ski in from the Fellhorn Mountain.

We have been here plenty of times and it helps to know the area well to get the most out of it. We skied 2 mountains most days.
    The Sollereck is great for a learner or anyone looking for a more relaxed holiday, the Fellhorn is the largest resort, the runs are very choppy, however, I love the run into Austria ,an easy red, (although you should disregard all the colour ratings on the Fellhorn they make no sense at all) The Nebelhorn is great for all intermediates-advanced and to go from the top to the village is a memorable run.

We are back out in 6 weeks :D:D:D

If its a group don't forget to check out the Bayern ticket.

It actually worked out better for the 8 of us not to get the Bayern Ticket. We went up to the guy at the desk and he gave us a better option.
    we were talking to a family and they got a taxi for 6 people at €100 each way, they said it took an hour.

I was talking to the same guy. Sound bloke actually. Might do that next time. Sounds more convenient and might give you more time to ski on the arrival day.

It actually worked out better for the 8 of us not to get the Bayern Ticket. We went up to the guy at the desk and he gave us a better option.
    I was talking to the same guy. Sound bloke actually. Might do that next time. Sounds more convenient and might give you more time to ski on the arrival day.

Pity we didn't meet up, I was keeping an eye out and met a few Irish lads learning on the sealpe, I asked how they heard about Oberstdorf they said from a mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Two of us going from Memmingen to St Johann in Tirol on Friday, looking at Bayern ticket but a hassle only using local services, it means never ending changes (not much fun when you have skis) plus a taxi to the train stn, think I'll get bus to Munich for €16 and then either Bayern ticket or normal ticket depending on what price the machine offers me from there. Going to visit friends near Oberstdorf the following week so plan a day in Oberstdorf or Kleinwalsertal next Saturday week.

Pity we didn't meet up, I was keeping an eye out and met a few Irish lads learning on the sealpe, I asked how they heard about Oberstdorf they said from a mate.

Yeah that would've been my mates alright. I was probably up above on the Big Blue or one of the reds. The red run down to the town is great. Apart from one time when I completely wiped out, I really loved that run.

The lads didn't really take to it as well as I thought they might have. They thought they wouldnt need lessons. One of them was doing great and we went from the sealpe down to the town on the first day. Neither of us knew what it was like and it absolutely broke him. All his confidence was shattered. He ended up taking the walking trail back down. Still...great craic.

• Advertisement

Yeah that would've been my mates alright. I was probably up above on the Big Blue or one of the reds. The red run down to the town is great. Apart from one time when I completely wiped out, I really loved that run.

The lads didn't really take to it as well as I thought they might have. They thought they wouldnt need lessons. One of them was doing great and we went from the sealpe down to the town on the first day. Neither of us knew what it was like and it absolutely broke him. All his confidence was shattered. He ended up taking the walking trail back down. Still...great craic.

:D what don't kill ya..... its all part of the learning curve

Hi all,
    Got back home last night from a great weeks skiing. It was the first time we flew into Memmingen so I can answer a few Qs.....................................................................................................
    there is one change at Kempton.......................................

Just meant to add, when you change at Kempton on the way to Oberstdorf be sure you get in the correct "half" of the train as it splits along the way at one of the stops. For us it was the carraiges on the left side as you looked at the train.
    When you arrive at Kempton on the way home make sure one of ye gets out of the train quickly as the train doesn't stop for long if the door don't open.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Was over there last week for 4 days. Had a great time. It's a nice place although there seems to be quite an old crowd around the town. Took the train there and changed at Kempton, hassle free, just make sure to get on the right half of the train as a previous poster mentioned.

We paid 97euro for 3 days lessons and ski equipment rental from Alpine Ski which is right beside the Railway station. Your ski pass is not included so that is an extra 23euro per day when you can prove you're getting lessons. The lessons were ok; i thought the groups were too big. There was about 10/12 in our group. Most were german so a lot of the instructions were in german. The instructors had english but seemed to spend more time giving german instructions which was a bit annoying.

The apres ski was good craic once we discovered the Irish Pub. There was a table quiz there on the tuesday night and karaoeke on the thursday which was a great laugh. Think the irish pub stays open till 3 or something. Apparently there's somewhere else that opens even later but we never found it. There's lots of nice places to eat too - be prepared for LOTS of meat and pork. Oh and make sure to try the Weissbier - its mmmm tasty.

Don't forget to try out the thermal bath place after a hard day's skiing!

All in all its a lovely spot!

I think its worth while to get private lessons or just for your group if at all possible. You'll learn way quicker on a one to one.

Just came across this good clip of the Nebelhorn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qDH0RaBS3w

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

Paulj wrote: »
    ... Oh and make sure to try the Weissbier - its mmmm tasty.
    !

mmm Weissbier, just cracked open a bottle of Franzikaner, (€1.80 in lidl).

glad to hear you had a good time, sorry to hear about the lessons. Do you think you will head out there again?

I can't wait, 17 days left before I get out - I really need a holiday.

I just hope the snow stays...
    http://www.planetski.eu/news/1311
    09/feb
    In the Allgäu the resorts of Alpsee Bergwelt and Grasgehren reported ½m of snow on Sunday. The latter now boasts 1.80m of snow on its upper slopes. Oberstdorf's ski resort now has 20cm-30cm.

Just back from our trip lastnight and I thought I'd give an idea of the cost.
    Below is a breakdown of what we paid for our week in Oberstdorf. The flights include €60 snowboard carriage. The Accomodation includes the Town Taxes. Basically, this is it... everything, all in. The only thing we could of done cheaper is the accomodation. Everything else is fairly standard.

This is for 2 people sharing a double room.

Cost:

Flights: 407.26
    Accomodation: 379.20
    Parking: 38.50
    Insurance: 36.58
    Train: 60.00
    Ski-pass(5 day): 308.00
    Food & Drink: 700.00
    ______

I make that €965.77 each

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

mmm Weissbier, just cracked open a bottle of Franzikaner, (€1.80 in lidl).

glad to hear you had a good time, sorry to hear about the lessons. Do you think you will head out there again?

I can't wait, 17 days left before I get out - I really need a holiday.

I just hope the snow stays...

ya i'd definately go again but as last poster said maybe go for private lessons if you can. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

Paulj wrote: »
    ya i'd definately go again but as last poster said maybe go for private lessons if you can. :)

Going on Monday, looking forward to the holiday as much the skiing. I'll be trying to master parallel turns, picking up a few tips from AmIBothered, drinking decent beer and throwing snowballs...cant wait, only 1 day of work left :)

I hope the weather improves though...

looking forward to the holiday as much the skiing.QUOTE]

:confused::confused: Brother brother brother, poor naive brother its ALWAYS about the ski, the holiday is 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

Hi all,
    sorry for the delay in reporting back on our trip earlier this month, (only got logged in again since the site was hacked).

As I'm a neewbie I can't compare to anything but the rest of our gang couldn't fault it for a few days skiing, for cost, transfer time etc. (Our gang was made up of 1 couple and 6 lads).

Costs per person excluding food and drink...
    Flights €80
    Return taxi to airport €25 (€100 each way/8)
    4 nights accomodation €215 including 3 day ski pass for the 3 mountains
    Ski hire for 3 days €45

Eatin and drinkin is cheaper than here (about €3 a pint on average)

We stayed in a guesthouse which was about 5mins walking distance to the Irish bar and about 15mins walk to the bus station. (The owners were wondering how a gang of Irish found out about Oberstdorf so we showed them this thread and they were well impressed). It was ideal for a gang of lads - we all had single rooms, a bit on the small side but everything you needed and brekkie included. The couple had no complaints either with their double. Heres a link ...
    http://www.ferien-bei-geiger.de/am-frohmarkt/

Oh by the way, if your unfortunate enough to require medical attention, their hospital services are second to none - but I'll let lottowinner explain that one! ;)

• Advertisement

That accomodation sounds awesome value. ski-pass included ?? That's class

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

ShayK1 wrote: »
    That accomodation sounds awesome value. ski-pass included ?? That's class

It was - nice people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Hi,can anyone give me some info about this.When do they open for the season?We are going from December 5-8th,not to ski, but thought a ride on a cable car would be great fun for the kids (and adults!)We plan on taking the train from Memmingen to spend a day in Oberstdorf so any info on the following would be much appreciated.
    Opening dates.
    Cost of each cable car.
    How to get from Train station in Oberstdorf to the cable cars.
    Will there be any snow that early.
    Any suggestions for restaurants (kids are 6 and 3)
    Any suggestions for other things to do/see whilst there.

Lots of questions.Many thanks in advance.

Hi,can anyone give me some info about this.When do they open for the season?We are going from December 5-8th,not to ski, but thought a ride on a cable car would be great fun for the kids (and adults!)We plan on taking the train from Memmingen to spend a day in Oberstdorf so any info on the following would be much appreciated.
    ??
    If you are going for just 1 day then stick to the Village & Nebelhorn
    If it is for the 3 days then you can explore more

Opening dates.... Ski season (slowly)starts Dec 11th (subject to conditions)

Cost of each cable car..... cheaper if you are not skiing the info is here http://www.das-hoechste.de/

How to get from Train station in Oberstdorf to the cable cars..... to the Nebelhorn (foghorn) it is a 10 min walk through the village.
    The Fellhorn & Sollereck are 20mins and 10mins by bus (there is lots of info on page 1 of this thread.

Will there be any snow that early..... you never know ? some years yes some no

Any suggestions for restaurants (kids are 6 and 3)..... on the nebelhorn there are 3 main restaurants all with kids menu etc
    Any suggestions for other things to do/see whilst there..... if there is snow go tubing on the sea-alpe (1st section on the nebelhorn) http://www.ntc-oberstdorf.de/erlebnispark.html You can also sledge all the way back into the village (I have never done this) it might be too scary for the kids (have a practice run first) The village itself is really beautiful http://oberstdorf.de/en/village/
    The Fellhorn I would stay away from (it really is a skiers mountain) but the Sollereck might suit little children best http://www.familienberg-soellereck.de/ the cable car is also cheaper here (its not very high)
    The local swimming pool is really nice, it has a mineral pool just off the main pool that is really warm with a play area.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

PCwiggum wrote: »
    Hi all,
    sorry for the delay in reporting back on our trip earlier this month, (only got logged in again since the site was hacked).

As I'm a neewbie I can't compare to anything but the rest of our gang couldn't fault it for a few days skiing, for cost, transfer time etc. (Our gang was made up of 1 couple and 6 lads).

Costs per person excluding food and drink...
    Flights €80
    Return taxi to airport €25 (€100 each way/8)
    4 nights accomodation €215 including 3 day ski pass for the 3 mountains
    Ski hire for 3 days €45

Eatin and drinkin is cheaper than here (about €3 a pint on average)

We stayed in a guesthouse which was about 5mins walking distance to the Irish bar and about 15mins walk to the bus station. (The owners were wondering how a gang of Irish found out about Oberstdorf so we showed them this thread and they were well impressed). It was ideal for a gang of lads - we all had single rooms, a bit on the small side but everything you needed and brekkie included. The couple had no complaints either with their double. Heres a link ...
    http://www.ferien-bei-geiger.de/am-frohmarkt/

Oh by the way, if your unfortunate enough to require medical attention, their hospital services are second to none - but I'll let lottowinner explain that one! ;)

I know its been a while but can you remember who you booked the taxi with or if you just picked one up at the airport . Thinking of going to oberstdorf for a second trip this season

You can pick a taxi at the airport.
    We always get a train from memmingem station (about 15 min drive from the airport on a bus or taxi).
    I suppose it depends on the amount in the group and budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

Thanks for the quick reply , I really am hoping to get out to obertsdorf for a few days . Can anyone recommend somewhere good value for a short stay . I ve tried amongst others blattner-fewo but as is usual I am struggling to find somewhere that offers less than a weeks accomodation

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭steviej25

Hi all.thanks for all the great information.I am going to oberstdorf on the 29th of dec until the 8th of january..Me and a friend are staying with a friend we know who is from oberstdorf and he is a snowboarding instructor there and we were wondering how much that length of time would cost us considering we prob will be spending a lot of nights in the irish bar.:)
    Take into account that our accomadation is free and snowbaording gear and lesson are also free..thanks in advance..

toushea wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply , I really am hoping to get out to obertsdorf for a few days . Can anyone recommend somewhere good value for a short stay . I ve tried amongst others blattner-fewo but as is usual I am struggling to find somewhere that offers less than a weeks accomodation

Try here

http://oberstdorf.de/urlaub/pauschalen/skipass-inklusive-schnee-bewegt.html

There was some great deals last year inc ski pass, just give a ring, most speak english.

• Advertisement

steviej25 wrote: »
    Hi all.thanks for all the great information.I am going to oberstdorf on the 29th of dec until the 8th of january..Me and a friend are staying with a friend we know who is from oberstdorf and he is a snowboarding instructor there and we were wondering how much that length of time would cost us considering we prob will be spending a lot of nights in the irish bar.:)
    Take into account that our accomadation is free and snowbaording gear and lesson are also free..thanks in advance..

Hard to answer, depends on how much you can drink or what level you like to eat out.

The Irish bar (you can smoke inside) is only slightly cheaper than here so every night on the beer would be costly.
    The supermarket is really cheap the beer I drink is only 17c per bottle and wine from 1.99 so maybe a few drinks at home then head out.
    The pizza places and take aways are really nice and good value.
    Restaurants would be only slightly cheaper. The chinese is good value and we always go there for a night.

Great to have a mate for free accomodation, lessons and rental !!

Advertisement