Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oberstdorf Germany

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

So anyone hitting oberstdorf this season.... I'm just back and loved it so much I'm going again, start of Feb.....

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

epopnomis wrote: »
    So anyone hitting oberstdorf this season.... I'm just back and loved it so much I'm going again, start of Feb.....

am_i_bovvered is there at the moment, said the conditions aren't great. I'm heading out again with aib (& our better halves) on 28th of feb cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thatsme

I just got back on Friday - conditions were crap it lashed rain all day on Thursday and the snow was running very fast, quite slushy in parts. To be honest I didnt think much of the place - we skied Nebelhorn and Sollereck but found the skiing very boring, up to the top and down again - no linked pistes in any of the above places. I had my daughter with me (20) who is a beginner and Oberstdorf does not offer a lot for beginners.
    The town was so quiet - no apres ski - menus in German only - locals not willing to speak English - and before I am slated for that English is the recognised international language. Food in the restaurants was Crap so we resorted to making our own. The place as all closed down at 10pm Thank God for the Irish Bar - it was the only decent thing in the place
    All in all I thought Oberstdorf was a S***hole. I have been skiing for many years but will definitely never ski in Germany again.
    Roll on Italy in 4 weeks time!! Great skiing, great food, great craic, GREAT PLACE

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Oberstdorf thatsme. you're right about the menu's there isn't many places that offer English versions. We did find one place that did, I can't remember the name but it is right next to the 'tented bar' on the main/pedestrian street.

I have to say that even though English is not widely spoken I have always found the locals helpful & have managed to get by.

I'm not an experienced skier, but from what I have read Italy sounds really good - how does it compare cost wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thatsme

IMO Italy is cheaper, found Oberstdorf prices similar to home for food and drink when eating out. Thought the mountain restaurants in Oberstdorf were on the expensive side compared to Italy where they are more expensive than the places in town which is understandable but for what was on offer in Oberstdorf they were'nt cheap. Lift passes are the same price, drinks in bars def cheaper in Italy as is eating out €15 for a good steak dinner, between €8 and €12 for Pasta about €10 for a good pizza. We hired ski's and one pair of boots for 3 days from Bruscher? think that was the name of the place - big sports shop on Nebelhornstrasse €92 which I thought was pricey - we have hired in the same place in Livigno (thats where we go!) for the last few years €56 for 6 days ski hire - I dont hire boots so cant say how much they are.
    A lot of people say they wont go to Livigno because of the long transfer time. We are flying to Zurich and taking a train from the airport to Zernez which is a 40 minute drive to Livigno. The train takes 3 hours approx so all in all not bad. The drive up from Milan is long - 5 hours on a coach although we have done it in 3 in a car. We always do DIY tour operators are now flying to Innsbruck which is a 3 hour transfer to Livigno.
    The thing I like about Livigno is - you can ski in ski out of your accomodation (in most cases anyway)- there are loads of skibuses to take you to whichever side of the mountain you wish to go. You can either have a mad holiday or a quiet one there are plenty of lively and quiet places so there is something for everyone, Oh and the locals are great - very friendly - we have been there 6 times now and get recognised in the restaurants /bars we frequent which is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Just back from Oberstdorf today.

Here is the breakdown:

1) Stayed in the Steffanie Blattner Apartments which were nice cheap and did the job hands down. No problems and they spoke perfect English and right beside the Neue Skischule, Nebelhorn and 5mins from supermarket. Would definitely recommend and will use again.

2) The locals and nice and though they don't all speak english, they all made an effort with us. All the people we met were nice and friendly and very helpful. If they couldn't help they asked us to stay and got somebody who could. Do make it clear that you are Irish as there is an English army barracks the other side of the village and they are not fond of them and assume anyone who speaks english is from there. We were told by different groups that there are not many other english speaking people besides the army personnel so its fair enough.

3) Yes the weather wasn't great but from talking to a number of the locals they were as surprised as us with it. They can't control the weather, but they got 5cm of snow on friday night and it is expected to snowing all next week for anyone going.

4) Renting wasn't cheap, about €130 but compared to the gear I got in Livigno before it was a way better standard. We got lessons and rented from Neue Skischule. Again, very helpful and nice whether in group or private lessons (there were a few of us, some private, some classes) and all the instructors were not out to rip us off. Told us after 3 days not to spend anymore on lessons. Ask for David or Jay, if your snowboarding as they are the most experienced instructors with the school and their english is very good. If your skiing go with Sebastien. All said to buy the gear next time as it would work on cheaper after 3/4 trips as renting is expensive.

5) Nightlife. The locals are mainly older but if your looking to party go to Sonthofen which is only 10km away and around €10/15 in a taxi. There are parties on top of the ski resorts at night. In Oberstdaorf, there is the Irish bar near the church and Rock Muhle beside Neue Skischule, ask for Yo Yo in Rock Muhle, he is the owner (German) and worked in Kerry as a chippy before so his english is perfect. If you want to get really pissed just go to Sonthofen.

The restaurants tend to shut by 10pm but the 2 main pubs mentioned above stay open pretty late and are good fun. We cooked ourselves and went down to the supermarket and bought local food, which is REALLY CHEAP and nice. Our first day we just got pizzas to keep us going and got 3 for €3. If you want cheap snowboard lessons go into the irish bar, ask for Harry (English Guy) and ask him to give you Paul Davis' number, or PM me and will send on the details if I can find the card.

Oberstdorf is what you make of it, we were out for skiing/snowboarding and a not too hectic nightlife and got it. The views from the Nebelhorn (means Foggy Mountain) are stunning and the pistes were good fun, particularly snowboarding through the clouds :D. There are 4 mountains altogether, Sollereck is the beginner one but after 2 lessons we were brought to Nebelhorn.

One thing where Oberstdorf outdoes Livingo is that the instructors will bring you to the Nebelhorn and come down the Black and Red slopes the first time you do it making sure your technique is right (was offered to be brought down again to make sure free of charge) and brought off-piste too, unlike in Livigno where they tend to stay on the nursery slopes and you can do so much learning on a blue slope. That said I really enjoyed Livigno but in my opinion isn't worth the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

thatsme wrote: »
    I just got back on Friday - conditions were crap it lashed rain all day on Thursday and the snow was running very fast, quite slushy in parts. To be honest I didnt think much of the place - we skied Nebelhorn and Sollereck but found the skiing very boring, up to the top and down again - no linked pistes in any of the above places. I had my daughter with me (20) who is a beginner and Oberstdorf does not offer a lot for beginners.
    The town was so quiet - no apres ski - menus in German only - locals not willing to speak English - and before I am slated for that English is the recognised international language. Food in the restaurants was Crap so we resorted to making our own. The place as all closed down at 10pm Thank God for the Irish Bar - it was the only decent thing in the place
    All in all I thought Oberstdorf was a S***hole. I have been skiing for many years but will definitely never ski in Germany again.
    Roll on Italy in 4 weeks time!! Great skiing, great food, great craic, GREAT PLACE

Interesting comments but that's the chance you take when you try somewhere new! Personally I like to try somewhere different nearly every holiday but some people will religiously go back to the same place, horses for courses. Snow conditions aren't controlled by the resort but this certainly wasn't only effecting Oberstdorf. I've been to that area twice but stayed in the smaller towns in Kleinwalsertal (the Austrian side), there you'll get ski in ski out and direct connection to the best area, Fellhorn/Kanzalwand and also easy access to Ifen and another area further up the valley. Some decent off-piste potential in these areas in the right conditions.

I'd agree the people aren't as friendly as the Italians but that's the German way and it's the same in Austria. Definitely prices aren't super cheap in Oberstdorf but I think that's because it's one of the main resorts in Bayern and is easily accessed by train from Munich so they get the crowds. Yes English isn't that common so bring your phrase book, it's a foreign country after all! It's not really on the TO brochures so you don't find that many non-Germans and this makes it quiet during the off-peak in January. This is a good thing as less people are on the mountain. The weekend is a different story and Fellhorn is very very busy on weekends with all the locals.

So if you go to this area you need to be aware it's not going to be international and bustling everyday like St Anton, it's not super high so if weather warms up so will snow and the ski area is disjointed. But on the plus side you can get cheap flights to Memmingen and the transfer is cheap and easy and it should be fairly quiet on slope during the week. Once you are aware of the limitations you are less likely to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I'll second that from Sarsfield. Stayed in Oberstdorf last year (I liked the town actually), but apart from about 1 hour on the Nebelhorn we skiied Kleinwalsertal and Ifen the rest of the time.
    Kleinwalsertal is by far the biggest ski area on the liftpass, it seems odd to me that someone would visit the area, not ski it, and complain about lack of interlinked pistes.
    Also, apres ski on that side of the mountain was as lively as any I've seen in Austria, although it does require a bus journey home if your staying in Oberstdorf.
    I also liked the traditional Bavarian Brauerei pub near the station in Oberstdorf, great beer, real German food and an oom pahpah band. What more could you ask for?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

We arrived back on the 19th after a week, it was by far the most difficult weeks skiing ever for me.
    I found the conditions really hard to cope with, it was really warm +25c !!! and there had been no snow for a while beforehand. Some runs where icy and I found it hard to get grip and lower down was really sugary. the moguls where a killer as well and where probably my biggest frustration.
    It was a bit of a vicious circle, as I felt my skiing was poor, my confidence went, then trying things out, stance-adjusting boots- flex etc. More than once I had to stop half way down a steep run and allow everyone around me to move on and just "get down" .... I had thought them days where behind me.
    I realised I had not progressed as far as I had thought, and that hurts :o
    We are back in the 1st week in March and will have to get a private lesson to see what I am doing wrong !!!

thatsme... sorry you did not like Oberstdorf, if you had read the thread it was written that the fellhorn-Kleinwalsertal is by far the biggest ski area for any experienced skier that is probably where you would have been happiest. The only problem is it is not great for learners.
    Livigno sound nice, I might PM you for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

Just wondering what the story is with regard to ski lessons. A few of us are heading over from the 17th to the 21st of March and of us is a beginner. From my initial research it would appear that he can do lessons as part of a group every day but I am not certain of this. (For budgetary reasons he is unable to do private lessons). Would anybody who has been there be able to confirm what the story is? Cheers

• Advertisement

factnee wrote: »
    Just wondering what the story is with regard to ski lessons. A few of us are heading over from the 17th to the 21st of March and of us is a beginner. From my initial research it would appear that he can do lessons as part of a group every day but I am not certain of this. (For budgetary reasons he is unable to do private lessons). Would anybody who has been there be able to confirm what the story is? Cheers

I presume that it is one of the group that is a beginner.

I would still price a private teacher over group lessons, sometimes you can negotiate a great deal.
    The other thing is to get some lessons in Kilternan before he goes, it would make the holiday much better. Ask "Fattes" he is the expert !!!

The problem with a group of mixed ability going to Oberstdorf is the Fellhorn is the biggest ski area but is not really suitable for beginners. The Sollereck is the best place to learn, there are links to schools on the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 partycrasher

Hi everyone,

I am english and have lived in the Allgäu since 1999. I am a qualified Snowboard Instructor through the german DSLV, and work frequently at the Alpine Ski-School in Oberstdorf. So for those of you that wanna learn the first moves, you know where to come with english tuition!

I was originally drawn here by the backcountry which offers so much in terms of freeride-snowboarding possibilities. The region is alot less crowded as the larger known resorts, and even during the peak holiday season, I´ll often find first tracks. For the more adventurous of you there´s a good chance I could show you some of the regions finest off-piste that many still don´t know about! Inspire yourselves by viewing one of my homemade freeriding videos by clicking the link below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO69t1bBt5w

I am also the Karaoke DJ in O´Reilly`s Irish Pub in Oberstdorf every Thursday night! Harry and his team have a great venue to unwind in after a stretch on the mountain! Thursday night has become something of an institution over the last 8 years, maybe you too could demonstrate your vocal talents, or make the dogs how! Again, inspire yourselves by checking out my Party Events website: www.p-p-e.de

From May to October, I manage the region´s first "Disc Golf" (frisbee-golf) course! The course is the highest in Germany at 1100m above sea level and attracts a wide variety of ages wishing to experience hill walking with a difference! This alternative leisure activity has become highly popular with school and youth groups. Find out more about Disc Golf in Allgäu under the following link: www.frizbee.at

Should you be interested in such activities, why not give a me buzz! My contact details are on the said websites.

So the last thing I wanna say is enjoy your stay in Bavaria! I did and still do! Maybe we´ll see us soon! :D

I'm due to fly over on Wednesday, can you tell me how much tuition would cost, there is a group of us going together... Just a ball park figure would be great. I've boarded a few times but some of the other lads are new to it... Last lesson I had the instructor didn't have much English so it was kinda tough...

A 5 day package deal (in german - "Sparpaket") with Alpine Ski School (opposite the Train Station) for this time of year costs 130€, including hire. A 3 day Packet Price costs 97€, including hire. Opening times are 0830 - 1800 hrs.

Alternatively you book by the day without hire:

1 day - 30€
    2 days - 52€
    3 days - 70€

If you specifically want english instruction, book your course on your arrival day in Oberstdorf and tell the girls at the counter to book me, Paul, ready for the following day as your instructor! Manu is another cool instructor with good english if I am unavailable.

Don´t worry about the language though! All instructors demonstrate the moves time and time again if need be!

Alpine Ski School (opposite the Train Station)

Hi partycrasher, welcome to boards.ie.

Alpine Ski School has been mentioned a few times on this thread, any chance of arranging a discount :)

3 weeks to Oberstdorf, can't wait.

Not my place to offer. Speak with the Ski School direct. The best deal they offer is the "Sparpaket" as I mentioned before.

A 5 day package deal (in german - "Sparpaket") with Alpine Ski School (opposite the Train Station) for this time of year costs 130€, including hire. A 3 day Packet Price costs 97€, including hire. Opening times are 0830 - 1800 hrs.

Alternatively you book by the day without hire:

1 day - 30€
    2 days - 52€
    3 days - 70€

If you specifically want english instruction, book your course on your arrival day in Oberstdorf and tell the girls at the counter to book me, Paul, ready for the following day as your instructor! Manu is another cool instructor with good english if I am unavailable.

Don´t worry about the language though! All instructors demonstrate the moves time and time again if need be!
    I am due to go back to oberstdorf this year, myself and a few friends are interested in some lessons. myself and one of my friends snowbards and the other 4-5 lads are skiiers, all of us are relatively new to both. Can this eb organised and can you quote me a price for lessons and board hire and lesson and ski hire for at least 3 days.

I am due to go back to oberstdorf this year, myself and a few friends are interested in some lessons. myself and one of my friends snowbards and the other 4-5 lads are skiiers, all of us are relatively new to both. Can this eb organised and can you quote me a price for lessons and board hire and lesson and ski hire for at least 3 days.

Hi epopnomis,

Just back from Oberstdorf yesterday. Used Neue Ski Schule (2nd time I've used them) and always find them very good. Here is the link http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.neue-skischule-oberstdorf.de/&ei=-ZgUT8iWBIfRhAeBkPm3Ag&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CEAQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dneue%2Bski%2Bschule%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26prmd%3Dimvns

Any questions about the place, feel free to ask away.

Thanks for the reply, have used that ski school before alright, did you snowboard or ski, just in relation to the quality of their rentals? I think my friend used another ski school at the sollereck and the snowboard boots he got were terrible. So how was the snow this year?

Thanks for the reply, have used that ski school before alright, did you snowboard or ski, just in relation to the quality of their rentals? I think my friend used another ski school at the sollereck and the snowboard boots he got were terrible. So how was the snow this year?

No worries, I snowboard with my mate and my OH skis. I think there are 3 ski schools at the Sollereck, Neue Ski (red gear), Alpine (green) and First Ski Schule (orange), though not too sure about the last one (think they turn up in a jeep/van).

Their rentals have been very good the 2 years we were there. They change the boards/skis/boots either every season or second season. My mate and I were very happy with the boards and ended up buying them, got new bindings thrown in too. That said we were thinking of buying before going out there as were probably going back in March. I rented a pair of boots that were too small and there was no problem changing them. When we decided to buy the board they didn't charge us rental.

My OH skis were definitely not old as there was barely a mark on them. The snow was great (last year was crap). We had 2 blizzards which we came down the Nebelhorn in, then 2 days of no snow, which is fine as so much fell before. The last 3 days had around 4-12 inches of snow a day. Going down the piste wasn't much different to going off piste during the blizzards.

My gf was learning on the sollereck and she said the snow was very good there too, barely any ice.

Are you going skiing or snowboarding? Beware though, there is no English menus there :(, germknobel is lovely though!

Any other questions fire away

• Advertisement

ulinbac wrote: »
    No worries, I snowboard with my mate and my OH skis. I think there are 3 ski schools at the Sollereck, Neue Ski (red gear), Alpine (green) and First Ski Schule (orange), though not too sure about the last one (think they turn up in a jeep/van).

Their rentals have been very good the 2 years we were there. They change the boards/skis/boots either every season or second season. My mate and I were very happy with the boards and ended up buying them, got new bindings thrown in too. That said we were thinking of buying before going out there as were probably going back in March. I rented a pair of boots that were too small and there was no problem changing them. When we decided to buy the board they didn't charge us rental.

My OH skis were definitely not old as there was barely a mark on them. The snow was great (last year was crap). We had 2 blizzards which we came down the Nebelhorn in, then 2 days of no snow, which is fine as so much fell before. The last 3 days had around 4-12 inches of snow a day. Going down the piste wasn't much different to going off piste during the blizzards.

My gf was learning on the sollereck and she said the snow was very good there too, barely any ice.

Are you going skiing or snowboarding? Beware though, there is no English menus there :(, germknobel is lovely though!

Any other questions fire away
    Thanks for all the info, I plan to snowboard, bought a board 2 years ago so trying to get the most use out of it, have to get some P-Tex at it though as after last years terrible snow theres some rather nasty lumps taken out of it... There is 5-6 or us going a mix of skiers and snowboarders and on e of my friends is totally new to it so want to get him the best tuition possible... Know what ya meaan about teh german menus, find the chinese place pretty good though... We're going druing carnival week so should be a good bit going on in the town...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

Is Oberstdorf itself ok as a base for skiing i.e. to stay here, are there lifts in the town or is it just hub area and you really need to stay in a resort outside it?

Thanks!

Is Oberstdorf itself ok as a base for skiing i.e. to stay here, are there lifts in the town or is it just hub area and you really need to stay in a resort outside it?

Thanks!
    Yeah Oberstdorf is a great little town to stay in, there are numerous ski areas around the town but the nebelhorn ski lift is located in the town, the other areas are 5-15 minutes away by bus which is free if you have you ski gear with you... Have been there 3 times now and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

What are the conditions generally like for Oberstdorf in mid-March? Would it get as much snow as some of the Austrian resorts a couple of hours away?

good to see that the thread is still going....

can anyone tell me if the Bayern Ticket covers the bus from memmingen airport to the airport?

Google is telling me it does, but when I try to book it on Bahn.de I get a message saying it's not included.

stevire wrote: »
    What are the conditions generally like for Oberstdorf in mid-March? Would it get as much snow as some of the Austrian resorts a couple of hours away?

I cant compare to Austrian resorts, but I've gone early-mid march over the last few years and the conditions have been decent. Here is a link for the historical snow report.

Just back from there and no it isn't covered, its 3 euro a person from airport to train station...

stevire wrote: »

No, St Anton am alberg would generally get a lot more snow.

Im just back from Oberstdorf and would recommend it as it is fairly easy to get to and is a nice little town to stay. Not sure what the snow is like later in the season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

Hey All

Decided to resurect this tread rather than start a new one. Looking to go to oberstdorf on the 20th of March for a few days. Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay for a couple. Also anyone an idea what the snow condictions might be like that late in the season.

Thanks

• Advertisement

What sort of budget? Going next week for the second time!

Advertisement