Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vBulletin 4.0

Options
  • 14-10-2009 2:18pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Will boards be moving to vBulletin 4.0...?I am thinking of moving my site to this platform but never like to be in the first batch.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Boards are part of the testing group for this afaik, so will presumably be moving to it. I'm sure Conor/Ross can fill you in a bit more if you ask nicely, since I really am just going off snippets seen here and there on this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

They went live with it today so I presume its ready for market and the testing element is over.I normally wait in the long grass ontill all bugs etc are fixed but they have a good half price offer on for the next 2 weeks.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Oh right, I didn't ralise it was ready for release. Development forum might be a good place for this type of question perhaps, or else PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Will there be any major new features incoming with this probable move for the community? I cannot see a comparison to 3.x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

We're still evaluating vBulletin 4.0. It may or may not be suitable for our needs. We have patched our current vBulletin install in several places and we need to be sure that the benefits are worth porting over our changes.

Unfortunately, our time recently has been sucked up tending to site stability stuff so we have been distracted from looking at vBulletin 4.x. One way or another, we probably won't be changing to vB 4 for a good while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thanks for the update.

I have been reading up on VB 4 and its getting mixed reviews,one thing for sure is that its a big jump from VB 3 and its not going down well with some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Pioneers get arrows in the Back...

There appear to be two versions of VB4. A "traditional" one and an alleged "CMS" version with Article & Blog support. I think the CMS support may not be good enough to justify higher price compared with exisiting VB3.8 addons for Articles.

I'd not rush. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

vB 4 went Gold yesterday . . . any plans to upgrade down the line, or are you content with vB 3.8.x for now?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

. . . any plans to upgrade down the line, or are you content with vB 3.8.x for now?:)

I doubt we'll move to stock vB 4.x. If we move to 4.x it'll probably be to 4.1 or 4.2 and we'll be porting a load of changes and extensions over.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement